Skip to content

Harrogate promoted

Which means that Gaz is no longer the longest-serving manager in the top four divisions :(

Comments

• He has had an advantage in his father being the Chairman though.

• edited August 2020

He was manager before his dad took over, but yeah that's still quite a handy position to be in...

• Being worth £145m is quite handy too!

• GA is still the longest serving EFL manager; Simon Weaver is the joint shortest surely!?

Whatever, that’s a great achievement - in magnitude very much on a par with our own. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by the skill levels and the quality of the football.

• edited August 2020

All I'll say is thank goodness we're not in League Two next season. Just a little bit northern!

• You have to feel sorry for County though. Oh no. You don't.

From Prem to L2 then from 10 points ahead of us at the top of L2 to the same division as Wealdstone. Congrats to Harrogate and Wealdstone.

• Who’d be an Exeter fan?

• @micra said:
    Who’d be an Exeter fan?

I hear they're joining the French league

• How are they being allowed to play on an artificial pitch though?

• Confession of ignorance. Are my previous club (back in the ‘60s) now in the National League?

• @mooneyman said:
    How are they being allowed to play on an artificial pitch though?

They have to tear it up

• edited August 2020

@chairboyscentral said:
    All I'll say is thank goodness we're not in League Two next season. Just a little bit northern!

That would certainly be a bum set of journeys if we were down there! That would be 13 trips of over 180 miles!
    Have we ever had more travel than that in a season? Probably too awks to work out even for you @chairboyscentral

But we're not - we're in the championship! For those at the back... Still sounds unreal.

• @Malone Not a clue, sorry! I like football and I like geography, but that's just too much maths. But I'd guess yes?

• Championship has a really nice spread, fingers crossed away fans are allowed in at some point.

• Congratulations to Weymouth too - a lovely place, and now they are back in the 5th tier.

It is amazing to think how Notts County have fallen. I think of the year we went up, and their massively controversial playoff semi-final with Coventry...now they are three tiers apart from both Coventry and us!

• edited August 2020

@chairboyscentral said:
    @Malone Not a clue, sorry! I like football and I like geography, but that's just too much maths. But I'd guess yes?

haha, i wasn't going to ask you to do the messing about.
    I remember each season Wycombe, or OWSSA or someone would do the yearly stats.

I have admiration for the hardcore away fans. Especially those who go every single game, year in year out without question.

My record is still 16 games in the league 2 play off season. Had a good gang of options, and it just became a habit. Even that was out of 26 aways though I think.

Would like to try and beat that - next season might be a stretch in the current climate though!

• @chairboyscentral said:

@mooneyman said:
    How are they being allowed to play on an artificial pitch though?

They have to tear it up

Having a usable grass pitch by 12 September is pushing it a bit!

• It’ll be a bit yellow under all that plastic sheeting. They’ll be well camouflaged.

• @Shev said:
    Congratulations to Weymouth too - a lovely place, and now they are back in the 5th tier.

It is amazing to think how Notts County have fallen. I think of the year we went up, and their massively controversial playoff semi-final with Coventry...now they are three tiers apart from both Coventry and us!

And County have been waiting since 1994 to play Forest in the league again...

• @Shev said:
    Congratulations to Weymouth too - a lovely place, and now they are back in the 5th tier.

I was only a couple of years into football by then, but I do remember Notts County getting relegated out of the top flight in 91/92.
    The last season before the Premier league started, and Gary Lineker's last English season.

Had to look, but insanely, Tottenham finished 15th, even with him up front scoring 28!

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Championship has a really nice spread, fingers crossed away fans are allowed in at some point.

Wow. For those of us of a certain vintage us being in the same league as that swathe of Midlands clubs is insane

• @bookertease It is indeed 'a blast' as I believe the young people say! :smiley:

• I must admit to not realising about Harrogate's rise until seeing it on the news last night. Are they a club built by a rich owner or has it been a long structured rise?
    What sort of crowds do they get?

A great place to visit so a good addition to League Two

• I work with numerous Forest and Derby supporters (in fact in normal times I work on Pride Park) and they’ve all got a little bit of a fear of us.

It’s probably the shame of losing to a little club but I do wonder if it will work in our favour if these big clubs aren’t 2-0 up after 30 mins.

• Been watching quite a bit of Forest since we got SKY, they remind me a lot of Arsenal...a lot of good players and some excellent play, but you always think they need more than one goal and are a bit soft. And of course we MUST beat Derby. I reckon most of the big teams down there are wary of every unknown and take nothing for granted after a decade or more out of the top flight! As long as we win six games ('they'll be lucky to win five games') and are not in the bottom three ('they'll be straight back down') and take a couple of scalps on the way, I'm ready for a hard season!

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    I must admit to not realising about Harrogate's rise until seeing it on the news last night. Are they a club built by a rich owner or has it been a long structured rise?
    What sort of crowds do they get?

A great place to visit so a good addition to League Two

Regarding the crowds. I watched the play off final & have memory of the commentator saying that Harrogate is famous for Aunt Bettys tea shop which could do 1400 covers in one day, which is about 100 more than Harrogates football crowd?
    With regard to the money & funding, I was wondering that myself. John Stead left Notts County last summer to join Harrogate, given the crowd pull of both clubs, I can imagine that Stead wouldn't have left one for the other if a decent wage wasn't part of the temptation?

• edited August 2020

The owner is worth well over £100 million, but I believe all the current squad were signed for free or on loan. I'm sure they're still paying a decent wad in wages, but I don't think their approach is the 'Just chuck money at it' of Salford.

• Yep, that makes sense. Think they may soon be tempted to dip in to the owners pocket, don't know why, just a feeling.

• Replacing the pitch can't be cheap! Sounds like they'll play elsewhere for at least the first few games.