Skip to content

Cooling down discussion

To get out of the heat, a bit of nostalgic memoirs.
Which players had golden or career defying spells at the Wanderers, but failed to recapture those moments or quietly disappeared at other clubs.
I give you Jermaine Easter and Simon Hutchinson.

Comments

• Adam El Abd for a recent one.

• Jordon Ibe, Matt Ingram

• Miguel de Souza

• The great Terry Glynn !!

• Jermaine McSporran.

• Easter must be very nearly at the top of that list.

Howabout the reverse version.
    Didn't do much before joining Wycombe then shone?

50% of this years squad would be in that group.
    Going back a few years I remember Terry Howard joining after basically being sacked from Orient was was superb for a couple of years in the centre of defence

• Or how about 'looked great before they came to Wycombe and then struggled here? '

Stuart Roberts must be top of that list.

• That’s going to be a long list @floyd

• Anyone keep a list of players we’ve paid a fee for (even if UDC)?

I’m hot/bored enough to see if I can do a VFM on them

• Miguel Desouza is still talked about with reverence and fear by Bradford supporters.

• @floyd said:
    Or how about 'looked great before they came to Wycombe and then struggled here? '

Duberry

• edited July 2020

@Guppys_Left_Leg said:
    Easter must be very nearly at the top of that list.

Howabout the reverse version.
    Didn't do much before joining Wycombe then shone?

50% of this years squad would be in that group.
    Going back a few years I remember Terry Howard joining after basically being sacked from Orient was was superb for a couple of years in the centre of defence

Terry Howard had a long and well received spell at Orient. Don't let that infamous bully sacking him cloud it.
    The fact that "manager" had to become a cabbie said it all.

• Stewart Castledine’s first loan at Wycombe was the highlight of his career.

• @floyd said:
    Or how about 'looked great before they came to Wycombe and then struggled here? '

Something I have always found mystifying is how Elliot Benyon scored 30 odd league goals before joining Wycombe despite looking like he had none of the qualities expected of a forward.

• @arnos_grove said:
    Miguel Desouza is still talked about with reverence and fear by Bradford supporters.

He single-handedly destroyed Bradford in those two games that season. Was it two hat-tricks? My memory fails me

• @Guppys_Left_Leg said:

@arnos_grove said:
    Miguel Desouza is still talked about with reverence and fear by Bradford supporters.

He single-handedly destroyed Bradford in those two games that season. Was it two hat-tricks? My memory fails me

At the time, and maybe still, the only player to score two hat tricks against the same team in the same season. Who knows where we’d have ended up if he hadn’t been injured.

• Stuart Beavon ?

• Dave Burgess, relatively unknown player around the Oxfordshire non league clubs.
    John Maskell was instrumental in bringing him here. Superb gutsy centre half for 2 seasons then picked up a terrible injury. Soldiered on but soon returned to non league football.
    I remember bumping into him at Leyton Orient the day we got relegated.

• James Harper - played over 300 games for Reading team that reached and stayed(?) in the prem league. Wasn't at AP very long, but looked nothing like a player that could hold his own in the top division

• John Sutton for being good elsewhere before and after although that may say more about the quality of Scottish football or his ability to adjust south of the border.

Scored for fun in Scotland.

6 in 45 for us, none in 5 for Spurs, Millwall and Swindon, managed 3 in 7 for Carlisle which is almost Scotland. Also 1 in 8 for a team in Oz.

• @ChasHarps said:
    Dave Burgess, relatively unknown player around the Oxfordshire non league clubs.
    John Maskell was instrumental in bringing him here. Superb gutsy centre half for 2 seasons then picked up a terrible injury. Soldiered on but soon returned to non league football.

I absolutely agree with you about Dave Burgess, Chas. He was excellent for us around the mid-1980s, and I think he had a good partnership at CB with Anton if memory serves me correctly. Only thing is - I recall we were non-league ourselves at the time.

• @StrongestTeam said:
    John Sutton for being good elsewhere before and after although that may say more about the quality of Scottish football or his ability to adjust south of the border.

Scored for fun in Scotland.

6 in 45 for us, none in 5 for Spurs, Millwall and Swindon, managed 3 in 7 for Carlisle which is almost Scotland. Also 1 in 8 for a team in Oz.

What made Sutton so disappointing was a mix of the reports of how tens of clubs were after him, including from a higher division. Fused with remembering what sort of player his brother had.

Instead we got a powerpuff version, not at all strong in the air or brave..not quick and unfortunately a really wet weekend.

Whenever i use that phrase i think of Dave Farrell.
    Always tainted with the Smith period, was fairly underwhelming then superb else where after he left.

• @Cyclops said:

@ChasHarps said:
    Dave Burgess, relatively unknown player around the Oxfordshire non league clubs.

I absolutely agree with you about Dave Burgess, Chas. He was excellent for us around the mid-1980s, and I think he had a good partnership at CB with Anton if memory serves me correctly. Only thing is - I recall we were non-league ourselves at the time.

I think if you would have removed Anton and Budgie and Gary Lester between the sticks, we may have been relegated with record low points in our inaugural year in the Gola league.

• Peter Garland

(on the old gasroom I would've been able to sign in as "ourfrankautoresponder")

• @LeedsBlue said:
    Peter Garland

(on the old gasroom I would've been able to sign in as "ourfrankautoresponder")

Thats a blast from the past

• @floyd said:

can we add a category of 'permanently broken at Wycombe, which never happened elsewhere'

not that anyone can compete with this (so don't try), but:

Craaaaaaaaaaig Faulconbridge.

• @PBo said:

@floyd said:

can we add a category of 'permanently broken at Wycombe, which never happened elsewhere'

Near the top of our most disappointing signings in our footy league days.

Although did give us that mad period of him, Devine and Rammell up front together. Baffling really as none could play wide.

• @PBo said:

@floyd said:

Who now lives round the corner from me

• @Guppys_Left_Leg said:

@PBo said:

@floyd said:

Still in the "nice house in Aylesbury" that Sanchez quoted, like it was some sort of palace in dubai...

• @Guppys_Left_Leg said:

@PBo said:

@floyd said:

He used to be my neighbour many years ago when I was growing up!