Skip to content

The definitive ex-player news thread

Comments

• Eze scores a screamer for QPR v WBA

• edited July 2020

That'll add another few million to the asking price

• For all that certain fans and the occasional manager and media drone bemoans Wycombe's style - or lack of - the consensus within football must be that Wycombe under Ainsworth and Dobson is a great place send promising young players to develop.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    For all that certain fans and the occasional manager and media drone bemoans Wycombe's style - or lack of - the consensus within football must be that Wycombe under Ainsworth and Dobson is a great place send promising young players to develop.

Agreed. Sometimes when we have had a young gun from the premiership or championship on loan, they have been a bit light weight. Not known about working hard for the team, tracking back, no matter what position you play .... Fighting for every ball.... Even if they are destined to play top flight.... I think we give them a good grounding and understanding at different aspects of the game. We have an outstanding CV of bringing on young players to realise their potential. I think many good clubs will be happy to entrust their young diamonds with Wycombe Wanderers

• Imagine the fees we can command if any of our younger players produce a quality run of form next season!

• Hugil, Eb, Jordan? I guess that’s about Eberechi Eze is it @Malone ?
    Figures don’t “surpass”, they exceed.
    Grumpy old git here off to Nodland now.

• Dundee United sign Luke Bolton on season-long loan

• "McCarthy wasn't involved on his return to the Lions, with Mahlon Romeo first choice, and Billy Mitchell and James Brown also preferred in defence."

Are we sure they aren't making these names up?

• I keep forgetting we might be the Championship club showing interest! :smiley:

• To be fair there is a pretty good chance of a Mitchell being around that part of the world.

One thing is for sure. Jason McCarthy needs to get out of Millwall and I'd love to see him back again.

• Right Back is though surely a position in which we are already strong.

• @DevC said:
    Right Back is though surely a position in which we are already strong.

McCarthy and Grimmer would be a great pair to have in the ranks...we're in the third round of the cup!

• We certainly need a little more strength in depth. It was essentially injuries to some key players that prompted our poorer spell in L1, where we tumbled to eighth (with a game in hand and only a couple of points adrift)!??

• I should imagine McCarthy’s preferred move would be to us and Gareth is clearly a fan. Only concern for me is he’s had 2 goes at Championship football and failed tO cement a place in the team both times. Neither club are one of the bigger clubs in that division either.

• https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53528235
    I was very disappointed with Luke Bolton, I was surprised he got a game at Luton, now at Dundee United a step down from what I know about Scottish football.

• @Wendoverman said:
    I keep forgetting we might be the Championship club showing interest! :smiley:

One of them perhaps.

• @DevC said:
    Right Back is though surely a position in which we are already strong.

We have a strong right back, but McCarthy can cover in central defence as well, given Darius won't be up to playing all the Championship games in a reduced length season.

• Our main right back just missed months and months. And we know Charles can only play twice a week in exceptional circumstances. One player to cover both would be fantastic.

• Cover and competition. If we were able to re-sign McCarthy it's a no-brainer for me!

• @chapmanio said:
    Cover and competition. If we were able to re-sign McCarthy it's a no-brainer for me!

And he's been thoroughly "Wycombised "!

• As always much depends on money and we cant possibly know those details.

I thought Jack Grimmer was absolutely outstanding in the play off matches, particularly in his defensive duties. With us likely to be under the cosh at stages next season, those defensive qualities will come in very useful. Hard to see him not being first choice RB next season. We will need RB cover of course but McCarthy is surely to good and probably too expensive to just be cover.

McCarthy can also play CB and we do need strong cover in that area. I am not sure though that he is more than just emergency cover at CB.

He is a fine player no doubt but I m not sure he quite fits the squad we have. I would spend the money instead on a quality CB and bring in an adequate RB as cover for Grimmer.

• He is also a quality centre back.

• I'd be more than happy with McCarthy as first choice centre back

• Got to be very difficult finding someone better who can cover both positions, is trusted character wise, wants to come and would be at the low end of championship wages. I'd think it's a definite he comes back unless other teams get involved and want to pay a fee and decent wages for him. Unfortunately we may need to get used to being outbid by teams in lower divisions at times.

• It could be old age but I can't actually remember seeing McCarthy playing CB. Can someone remind me when he's played there please?

• @FmG said:
    It could be old age but I can't actually remember seeing McCarthy playing CB. Can someone remind me when he's played there please?

Mostly in his first spell although I thought at least once a bit more recently.

• He played there a few times when he first came on loan, with Harriman at right back. In my head he was playing there in the 3rd round of the FA Cup at Villa Park but checking the lineups we also had Pierre and Stewart in there, so I'm guessing he was right-back and Harriman was right-mid. My memory is not something to be relied upon.

• @DevC said:
    As always much depends on money and we cant possibly know those details.

I thought Jack Grimmer was absolutely outstanding in the play off matches, particularly in his defensive duties. With us likely to be under the cosh at stages next season, those defensive qualities will come in very useful. Hard to see him not being first choice RB next season. We will need RB cover of course but McCarthy is surely to good and probably too expensive to just be cover.

McCarthy can also play CB and we do need strong cover in that area. I am not sure though that he is more than just emergency cover at CB.

He is a fine player no doubt but I m not sure he quite fits the squad we have. I would spend the money instead on a quality CB and bring in an adequate RB as cover for Grimmer.

Well, it push comes to shove, bearing in mind it will be a 46 game league season, (plus FA & League Cups), I would have McCarthy over Darius. There will be too many 3 games in 8 day scenarios for Darius to play in all of them. I am sure that Jason McCarthy, Jack Grimmer & Darius Charles can rotate the three positions between them very capably, plus as has been mentioned, Jason has already been "Wycombeised"!