Skip to content

LMA awards tonight

Televised by Sky. Ainsworth must be in a with a good shout for League One Manager of the Year.

Comments

• Leading your team to the title whilst playing away every week might give the Coventry manager a good shout too.

But surely Peterborough's inevitable run to glory will be recognised tonight.

• I think in most years Ainsworth would walk it but Mark Robins has done a superb job at Coventry.

• Surely Nathan Jones deserves something. Both the teams he managed in the Championship survived.

• The momentum is with Ainsworth with all the playoff publicity. I’d be surprised if he doesn’t win his second award.

• It's on the Sky PL channel (402) at 7pm tonight

• I thought it would go to Mark Robins, but I've looked at the previous winners and Gary Johnson got it with Yeovil (who spent a bit more money than us...) and Paul Hurst with Shrewsbury (who didn't even go up).

• I do think GA will win the third tier award. Unfortunately, the overall award has only ever gone to someone outside the Premier League six times, though interestingly, only five times has the league winning manager received it. So I would expect Klopp or Wilder for the overall award.

• I think Mark Robins will win it. Coventry were the best side in the league by a mile and that's set against the backdrop of absolute turmoil off the pitch and not having a home ground.

He'd be a deserving recipient (as would Gaz, but only one of them can win)

• I certainly agree Robins would be a worthy winner failing GA winning it, @eric_plant. Without the other manager having the year he has had, either of these managers would be nailed on. Even Karl Robinson may have won it if it were not for how exceptional GA and Robins were.

I personally think GA will benefit from how recent the final was (assuming the voting took place since then?) and the accompanying storyline around our miraculous rise. If the vote was before the final, maybe not!

• Coventry were easily the best team I think so I suspect Mark Robins will win but part of me hopes the publicity sets up Gareth up (we know TV likes a story don't we) just so the Peterborough table walks out en masse.

• The way I look at it, which is more likely?

GA could have won promotion with that Coventry side
    Robins could have won promotion with our Wycombe side

I think the first one is more likely.

• Does anyone have a link to anything about these awards? I can't find anything on skysports.com or anywhere else.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Leading your team to the title whilst playing away every week might give the Coventry manager a good shout too.

John Terry won a few titles doing that as well.

• Robins wins it

• You can’t begrudge Robins winning.

Gareth got the trophy he wanted. :)

• Robins is evidently a really nice chap too.

And anyone can get promoted on a shoestring. :)

• Gareth was third overall

• Third, who was 2nd

• Bielsa. So to recap, Ainsworth was the 3rd best overall, but not even the best in L1. Very interesting logic.

• To me, the logic of the L1 award is a little like comparing Lampard to Wilder. Like Mark Robins, Lampard had a hindrance (transfer ban instead of stadium issues) yet overcame it enough to qualify for CL, significantly ahead of Sheffield United. But Wilder guided a nailed-on bottom team (according to predictions) to the top ten, and almost to Europe.

Does anyone out there genuinely think Lampard had the more impressive season?

• @Shev said:
    To me, the logic of the L1 award is a little like comparing Lampard to Wilder. Like Mark Robins, Lampard had a hindrance (transfer ban instead of stadium issues) yet overcame it enough to qualify for CL, significantly ahead of Sheffield United. But Wilder guided a nailed-on bottom team (according to predictions) to the top ten, and almost to Europe.

Does anyone out there genuinely think Lampard had the more impressive season?

It's a tough debate in some ways though.

I'd say most people saw Chelsea finishing outside the top 4 this season.
    No transfers, best player by a mile left, rookie manager.

And they've exceeded expectations.

Not by as much as Sheff Utd of course, but there's a smaller margin at the top

• True - and I think Lampard has done fantastically well. I just think that Wilder and Ainsworth finished further above expectations.

But well done to Mark Robins, nonetheless! Coventry were a great side. We get another two attempts to finally beat them too!

• Bielsa, Ainsworth, Wilder, Klopp was the order announced on Sky.

Ainsworths achievements recognised by Managers outside of our league more than those within perhaps?

• Bielsa, Ainsworth, Wilder, Klopp was the order announced on Sky.

Ainsworths achievements recognised by Managers outside of our league more than those within perhaps?

• Most awards are subjective and media influenced, Klopp was a shoe-in and I'm surprised Bielsa is not higher, but the fact that Gareth is even being considered in the top four of England's football management for the season is great for him and us. A percentage of the nation's clubs and fans intrigued or wishing him well after a great achievement, while the rest hope and pray he falls on his arse.

• @RomanHats said:
    Bielsa, Ainsworth, Wilder, Klopp was the order announced on Sky.

That was my take. The ones who knew what they were going to get with Wycombe, yet still lost to us, couldn’t bring themselves to vote for Ainsworth.

• edited July 2020

It's hard to compete with a PL manager when his team improve their points total by two.

• @Shev said:
    Does anyone have a link to anything about these awards? I can't find anything on skysports.com or anywhere else.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12037427/jurgen-klopp-named-lma-manager-of-the-year-marcelo-bielsa-and-emma-hayes-also-recognised