Skip to content

The teams that we will be playing next season

Comments

• You can't spend too much on a parachute

• @mooneyman said:

@peterparrotface said:

@Wendoverman said:
    I bet Bournemouth players are not on massive wages. Parachute payments will mean they will hang on to a lot of their players for the next season at least. I reckon they will be a force. Not sure about the madhouse that is Watford but I think Norwich will also.bounce back quite strongly. I hope we play them all early when they are still shocked and dont know what they are going to get with Wycombe yet!

Last thing I read about their wage bill was an increase from circa 70 million to about 100 million off the top of my head

Huddersfield got a £42m parachute payment last year so Bournemouth will get at least that.

Ake is reported to be going to Man City for £35m, they turned down £25m from Man Utd for King and Brooks is also valued at £25m plus there will be demand for Callum Wilson. They are not in imminent financial trouble and in fact will be splashing the cash to replace those leaving.

Norwich are financially stable so should be ok. Watford are the team that could implode financially and end up doing a Sunderland, particularly when an average player like Deeney is on £100k per week.

Norwich will probably end up having to sell young first team talent such as Max Aarons, Ben Godfrey, Jamal Lewis and Todd Cantwell as well as other very good first team players such as Emiliano Buendia and Teemu Pukki so Norwich will be able to benefit financially from this. Bournemouth don't have as many players who are promising apart from Ramsdale and Brooks and Watford will end up selling most of the first team because of their wages etc

• Bournemouth's wage bill in 2018/19 was £111 million. Their books are in a right state - not uncommon for the Championship but not sustainable. They've already been fined for breaching FFP once.

• And let's not forget their ground is barely any bigger than ours. They can't be bankrolled forever.

• It'll be good fun competing with a team probably bringing in 100million.
    Bet we still give them a decent game though.

• Doesn't it feel insane watching this and knowing we have earned ourselves the chance to be on a level playing field? What an unbelievable club we have.

• @Brownie said:
    Doesn't it feel insane watching this and knowing we have earned ourselves the chance to be on a level playing field? What an unbelievable club we have.

Doesn't feel real does it.

• It's impossible to know who will be alright, some clubs are bankrolled but their owners might find other priorities going forward and even weekly policed ffp and fines will be an issue, as will inevitable cuts in income from the drop, from having played behind closed doors and potentially carrying on doing so. Even the top parachute payment is a big drop from standard Prem TV money.
    Ideally anyone who comes down would cash in on players attracting high fees or on high wages and people who haven't performed but how much of a hit do you take if you get low offers and do you sell if you think you can get more in January or are expected to be going straight back up. £ spent on squad or reserve players could easily look ridiculous a division lower with little interest in some or the need to loan out on subsidised wages.
    Managers and fans will still want signings and there's been very little financial reality in the championship with rarely more than one or two clubs spending less than 100% of total income just on wages. Some of the figures reported in financial results are eye watering.
    We aren't immune and will need to stand firm as you can be sure some very good players will be offered on unusually low but probably still unaffordable wages.

• Will Devc going to be wearing his Wanderers/Hornets half & half scarf in the two league games between the clubs ?
    Surely even he will finally attend one of these games ?

• @ChasHarps said:
    Will Devc going to be wearing his Wanderers/Hornets half & half scarf in the two league games between the clubs ?

I think you've given this one a good airing over the last 6 years.

• @ChasHarps said:
    Will Devc going to be wearing his Wanderers/Hornets half & half scarf in the two league games between the clubs ?

I lost the bet I had with myself about when this post would appear - thought it would have been much quicker.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Nice to see "enjoy Wycombe away" trending on Twitter.

Playing us is the benchmark for how low clubs have sunk, apparently. Long may we be underestimated.

It’ll make a change for them from Rotherham and Burton

• @carrickblue said:

@ChasHarps said:

I lost the bet I had with myself about when this post would appear - thought it would have been much quicker.

lmao

• @ChasHarps said:
    Will Devc going to be wearing his Wand> @carrickblue said:

@ChasHarps said:
    Will Devc going to be wearing his Wanderers/> @carrickblue said:
    @ChasHarps said:

I always wonder where this little grudge originated from.
    Have they met? Were they a couple?
    Intriguing for it to still be rolling on years later

• There were words exchanged in a Marlow bistro in the mid 90s

• Fulham are currently beating Cardiff City in the other playoff semi final.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Bournemouth's wage bill in 2018/19 was £111 million. Their books are in a right state - not uncommon for the Championship but not sustainable. They've already been fined for breaching FFP once.

This is a very interesting Premier league table based on points per wage bill. Man Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal would all be relegated!

https://theathletic.com/1955655/?source=twitteruk

• edited July 2020

Will be interesting to see if/how this affects things

• Coventry and Rotherham players might be a bit stiff ! Probably explains why Coventry lost to Rangers (2-0) last week.

• I am glad we honoured the wishes of bitter Peterborough and Sunderland fans everywhere by ensuring we will finally play that away game at Coventry at some point, owing to our promotion.

You're welcome.

• Brentford vs Swansea City right. Brentford are 2-0 up and 2-1 up on aggregate with about 55 mins to go. Anything is possible...

• Tuning in now. Should be a good conclusion.

• 10secs of viewing and 3-0!

• Brentford beat Swansea City 3-2 on aggregate in an entertaining tie so Swansea City are now the latest team to join the list:
    AFC Bournemouth
    Barnsley
    Birmingham City
    Blackburn Rovers
    Bristol City
    Coventry City
    Derby County
    Huddersfield Town
    Luton Town
    Middlesbrough
    Millwall
    Norwich City
    Nottingham Forest
    Preston North End
    Queens Park Rangers
    Reading
    Rotherham United
    Sheffield Wednesday
    Stoke City
    Swansea City
    Watford
    Wycombe Wanderers

Fulham vs Cardiff City tomorrow.

• To me this will be a less scary division. Replacing Leeds, West Brom, Brentford/Fulham, Wigan, Charlton and Hull with Watford, Bournemouth, Norwich, Coventry and Rotherham seems on the surface to make the division a little weaker, all the more so as Wigan were a mid table side on merit.

Of course, we may still be relegated, but I think I would rather have the 20/21 version so far.

• Bournemouth are selling Nathan Aké to City for £41 million - which leaves them still owing just the £40 million in transfer fees. Watford owe £79 million, Norwich 'only' £14 million.

• Are they getting £41m up front for Ake though? Or it is in instalments / inc. add-ons?

• @OxfordBlue said:
    Are they getting £41m up front for Ake though? Or it is in instalments / inc. add-ons?

Good point, not sure actually. Either way, they're going to have to have a good clearout to try and get things under control - Callum Wilson is bound to leave, Spurs interested apparently. Not that there'll be full stadiums, but they're obviously at a disadvantage relative to other relegated teams with such a small ground as well.

• That debt is based on 18/19 accounts so likely much worse now. Watford for instance, bought Sarr for well over £30m this year.

• They will have paid off a fair chunk of the debt outstanding at June 19 though.
    Remember they also get £40m or so in parachute payments for next two years plus £20m in year three.