Skip to content

New interview with Ainsworth & Dobson

Comments

• @eric_plant said:

@glasshalffull said:
    It pains me to recall how some fans stayed behind to abuse them after our final home game a few years ago. I believe there were times even this season when Gareth was getting stick from certain sections of the crowd. They have remained dignified throughout and shown true class on and off the field.

Give it a rest

This is an unprecedented time of fan harmony and positivity. Trust you to drag it down with your sniping

Eric, it is indeed a great time for fan harmony so I find your comments somewhat hypocritical. I make no apologies for pointing out that some fans (and I’m sure you aren’t one of them) haven’t always recognised how good our management team is.

• Football fans are notoriously fickle and some Wycombe fans are no exception. (Look at the love in for Nathan Jones from Luton fans right now for instance.) Gareth has had dissenters before and no doubt they'll return when/if we lose a few games next season. Those people are best ignored - I'm absolutely certain it's water off a duck's back for Gareth and Dobbo.

• Also people who have questioned/criticsed Gareth before should be allowed to change their mind without being constantly reminded of getting it wrong. It's weird in the modern world that changing your mind is seen as a huge sign of weakness...

• @Last_Quarter said:
    Also people who have questioned/criticsed Gareth before should be allowed to change their mind without being constantly reminded of getting it wrong. It's weird in the modern world that changing your mind is seen as a huge sign of weakness...

You're correct.

But it's the ones who go quiet when things have gone brilliantly and refuse to either admit they were massively wrong, or haven't changed their minds at all. Those ones are the baffling ones, and they're in the shadows, waiting.

• Jesus......

• Never knew Dave Carroll posted on here eric!

• Another good interview talking about similar themes with Matt Bloomfield. Just over an hour but still worth a listen

https://open.spotify.com/episode/019lehjiTQAHKi0jhHEuyJ?si=AQMyFBjyQAeM6zl6nwQO2A

• I've just listened to Gaz & Dobbo being interviewed on Goldust.. The quality of these two guys is about treating people the right way That is how to get the best out of your players and people in general. That is why we are in the championship. Best interview ever.

• @Croider said:
    Another good interview talking about similar themes with Matt Bloomfield. Just over an hour but still worth a listen

https://open.spotify.com/episode/019lehjiTQAHKi0jhHEuyJ?si=AQMyFBjyQAeM6zl6nwQO2A

Thanks for this! Needed something to listen to on my run this morning. Will give it a listen.

• I watched the "Alfie's Boys" programme on TV last night. Interesting similarities (I thought) between Alf Ramsay's team building philosophy and that of Gareth and Dobbo. No player picked just as an individual, rather picked on their ability to fit within the team he created. Also chosen on their do or die attitude and determination to succeed as a team.

• "They came here and I felt they were quite smug, and they came with this 'Sunderland' presence - and I just wanted to let them know that you're in our house, you play by our rules,"

• Simple fix. You have it on x2 or whatever. Bottom left corner.

@micra said:
    Not sure why but, on my machine* the interview plays at almost double speed. I couldn’t stand it, even if it was going to knock 20-25 minutes off the playing time!
    Any of you technological wiz kids got any suggestions? Polite ones, please. It’s been a horrible day.

• Thanks @TheAndyGrahamFanClub. Fixed, thanks to @Chris and commented upon yesterday. I had it on x1.5. Simple fix, as you say.

• @eric_plant said:

@glasshalffull said:
    It pains me to recall how some fans stayed behind to abuse them after our final home game a few years ago. I believe there were times even this season when Gareth was getting stick from certain sections of the crowd. They have remained dignified throughout and shown true class on and off the field.

Give it a rest

This is an unprecedented time of fan harmony and positivity. Trust you to drag it down with your sniping

@eric_plant can we take it as read that you disagree wholeheartedly with whatever @glasshalffull has said, says, or ever will say but you accept his right to say it?

• No, you can take it that at such a happy and positive time for the club it's a shame that someone has to delve back six years to have a dig at fellow supporters.

And you can also take it that I consider this to be something (having digs at fellow supporters) that the particular poster has done consistently in the 30+ years I've been supporting Wycombe.

Don't really understand your point about having the right to say things if I'm honest.

• Sorry Eric, I didn’t realise that you have the monopoly on criticising people. Also didn’t realise that supporters who abuse the best manager we’ve ever had don’t deserve to be admonished for doing so.

• Monopoly is a really bad game to teach kids, if you think about it

• @glasshalffull said:

Sorry Eric, I didn’t realise that you have the monopoly on criticising people. Also didn’t realise that supporters who abuse the best manager we’ve ever had don’t deserve to be admonished for doing so.

This is a fascinating insight into the way you think

• Is it? I would wager that just about every football fan that’s ever lived has at some point disagreed with a fellow fan, but perhaps you are the exception to the rule. I will continue to question those with whom I disagree and I will continue to defend your right to do likewise.

• Yeah it's fine, we all criticise from time to time and we've all got the right to do so

But not everyone dredges up something from 6 years ago long after everyone else has moved on from it at the highest point in history to have been a Wycombe fan

Like I said, fascinating

• I think you have overreacted to an innocent comment. I find the fickle nature of some fans equally fascinating. How can you shout abuse at a manager when things go wrong-and it’s happened this season, not just six years ago-then turn full circle and sing his praises when things go right?

• Obviously not everyone can take the high road and just move on from things that happened years ago the way you can eric.?

• You've heard fans shout abuse at the manager this season?

• Personally, no. However, I have spoken to people who have been to away games and heard what they described as our ‘younger’ fans shouting abuse at our manager and players.

• We all know why..youngsters getting monopoly for Christmas

• This great thread celebrating our management team has been sadly highjacked by two individuals having a pathetic squabble and turned into a terrible thread.

• The Jack and Vera of the gasroom.

• I apologise for that and you’re right that it should not have been sidetracked by what is an irrelevant squabble.

• A late night squabble between @glasshalffull and @eric_plant is one of the best things about the gasroom imho

• @LX1 said:
    A late night squabble between @glasshalffull and @eric_plant is one of the best things about the gasroom imho

They've actually been married for 30 years, hence the ongoing mutual resentment and sniping.