Skip to content

New interview with Ainsworth & Dobson

Comments

• Thanks @Vital, listening now.

• This is brilliant.

• Blimey, that hour went quick(ly).

• That is a fantastic interview, cheers for the link.

• excellent stuff. We are very lucky to have two such experienced, intelligent and passionate football people running the team.

• Absolutely superb and goes some way to help understand how they and we have achieved what we have.

Also worth listening to this one with Dobbo talking about the culture and how he played his part in building it - https://audioboom.com/posts/7586359-richard-dobson-the-importance-of-human-currency

• Fantastic to listen to. You can only imagine how proud Dobson must have been of Anthony Stewart's performance in that play-off final.

• I love the explanation of how they look for character, and how it is actually hard to get in the door as a result. The telltale negative signs such as not celebrating a teammate's goal, not chasing a wayward pass, being angry at a substitution, were all interesting. It also shows there is less point in speculating about who we might get in without knowing if their character is as good a fit as their talent!

• A great listen. We’re really very lucky to have that leadership team in charge

• Inspiring stuff.

The best one-loner was Dobbo’s “Christ, we need another 10 million quid to have a relegation budget”.

It made me think we have a job to do next season - we get behind this team, this management, even when we’re getting stuffed.

• Haven’t heard it yet but look forward to doing so. We are very lucky to have two such wonderful guys at the helm and we must never forget what they have achieved for our club. There will undoubtedly be some tough times ahead next season and I just hope everyone accepts that we’ll be a small fish in a very big pond. It’ll be a great adventure and I can’t wait.

• I must say I listened to it in absolute awe

We are unbelievably fortunate to have these two

• What a wonderful listen. Feel so proud to be a Wycombe fan with these 2 leading us.

I've always known how lucky we are to have them, but even more so now considering how much they could be earning on the motivational talks circuit!

• It is amazing to think of - Wycombe Wanderers have a culture of character and togetherness that (to my mind) is greater than any other club in the four divisions. This makes me prouder even than the success on the pitch. The success of a club as far as results is always going to ebb and flow in the long term, but this bunch will remain great blokes in all the years to come.

• superb interview

• Not sure why but, on my machine* the interview plays at almost double speed. I couldn’t stand it, even if it was going to knock 20-25 minutes off the playing time!
    Any of you technological wiz kids got any suggestions? Polite ones, please. It’s been a horrible day.

• term of endearment for my iPhone.
  • edited July 2020

Strange that @micra as normally anything to do with GA & Dobbo runs slower & goes on way past normal time, especially as Allsop may get involved at some stage!

• “The cleaner’s pre-match message got higher billing than Anthony Joshua’s”.

Absolutely brilliant!!

• That is, by some margin, the best Wycombe Wanderers related interview I have ever heard of two of the best people ever to be associated with our football club.

I had one (slight) concern that Dobbo was barely mentioned, or indeed spoken to, after our triumph but I think this interview allayed any of those fears and he doesn’t need, or want, any public attention to take satisfaction of a good job well done.

These two are the classiest of class acts.

• It pains me to recall how some fans stayed behind to abuse them after our final home game a few years ago. I believe there were times even this season when Gareth was getting stick from certain sections of the crowd. They have remained dignified throughout and shown true class on and off the field.

• Well, I’m up bright and early, mood much improved and that is b r i l l i a n t. Thanks a lot @Chris !

As for the interview. Gold dust. Totally echo all the respect and admiration expressed above. Andrew Howard’s description of GA as the perfect fit seemed to me at the time to really hit the nail on the head. And so it has proved.

One of the top priorities (if not the top priority) for the Couhig family must surely have been the retention of GA and the relatively unsung hero, Richard Dobson.

If anyone ever had even a shadow of doubt about the value to Wycombe Wanderers of those two (and their brilliant support staff) they must surely have seen the light now.

Happy days.

• Brilliant interview - we’ll always have a huge debt to those 2 men. Leaders who created and executed a vision

• @TheDancingYak said:
    That is, by some margin, the best Wycombe Wanderers related interview I have ever heard of two of the best people ever to be associated with our football club.

I had one (slight) concern that Dobbo was barely mentioned, or indeed spoken to, after our triumph but I think this interview allayed any of those fears and he doesn’t need, or want, any public attention to take satisfaction of a good job well done.

These two are the classiest of class acts.

Dobbo had done a solo interview earlier with the same father & son duo. That may explain why he was more in the background on this one?

• @glasshalffull said:
    It pains me to recall how some fans stayed behind to abuse them after our final home game a few years ago. I believe there were times even this season when Gareth was getting stick from certain sections of the crowd. They have remained dignified throughout and shown true class on and off the field.

Give it a rest

This is an unprecedented time of fan harmony and positivity. Trust you to drag it down with your sniping

• You too could give it a rest, too often having a snipe!

• Listened to it on the way over to have a piccy with the cup. Listening to them talk about the trust they have in the players to do their absolute best because they allow them to be themselves is a fantastic example of the best kind of leadership. Sections of that should be required listening for many a senior manager across the whole range of industries and services. Along with prioritising finding people who fit the culture.

What a pair!

• Great interview, great team...increased respect (if that were possible)

• There might have been be a small risk of rose tinted glasses as almost every new post, video, photo or article that has appeared in the last couple of weeks recalling the achievement and process leading up to it brings a smile.
    This podcast and the concepts are top class though. Well worth a listen if you haven't already.
    The bit about all the players helping unload the training gear from the coach at the training ground after all the celebrations at Wembley no doubt post a beer or three and on the way to more celebrations is a highlight for me.