Skip to content

Sky coverage

LX1LX1
edited July 2020 in Football

Does anyone else find it extraordinary that on the final day of the Championship, Sky have chosen to show Liverpool v Chelsea (a dead rubber) on 4 (four) different channels, whilst showing one Championship match, with numerous crucial games at both ends? Goodbye Sky subscription.

Comments

• It's ludicrous isn't it - so many games in the Championship still with things riding on them; they should at least have another channel doing a general goals-as-they-happen update. As a neutral it's fascinating.

• They were showing both west brom and brentford games and gillette sport had a live update around all the games.

There's 11 channels...plenty to go around.

• Brentford messed up two golden chances to go up, losing to Stoke and Barnsley back to back.

But what about Barnsley - two injury time winners to stay up, assuming Wigan's appeal is turned down.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    It's ludicrous isn't it - so many games in the Championship still with things riding on them; they should at least have another channel doing a general goals-as-they-happen update. As a neutral it's fascinating.

Erm..they had exactly that

• Oh - not that I could find.

• Luton stay up too, with Nathan Jones turning them around for a great escape.

• Forest hilariously piddle away any chances of going up. They just want to play the Wanderers. Less happy with a potential trip to Luton. Hopefully that can happen early on if we need to play some behind closed doors.

• We are going to the City ground to play Forest.

• Boxing Day against Luton?

• Sky can go fuck themselves. Upgraded to sky sports football for a month to watch our games as I don't have the sky sports package. Paid £18 for the month with the view to cancel after our games were up. Awesome value. But... Once again sky's awful customer service and sneaky small print caught me out.. small print apparently states 31 days to cancel so unless it was immediately cancelled after subscribing.... It's 2 months you will be charged for. Livid.... Never ever had good or easy dealings with sky. Awful awful company ?

• @Malone said:
    They were showing both west brom and brentford games and gillette sport had a live update around all the games.

Exactly, so many channels yet couldn't show the games. WHat number was the Brentford game on, I couldn't find it but am going a bit blind?

• @LX1 said:

@Malone said:
    They were showing both west brom and brentford games and gillette sport had a live update around all the games.

Exactly, so many channels yet couldn't show the games. WHat number was the Brentford game on, I couldn't find it but am going a bit blind?

No idea pal, I'm on the poor man's Now Tv package, so I just scroll through 11 channels.

But you can't knock showing both of the contenders to be promoted live, AND a summary show.

Not when the champions of England are playing too. (And don't get me wrong, everything about Liverpool sickens me)

• @Alexo said:
    Sky can go fuck themselves. Upgraded to sky sports football for a month to watch our games as I don't have the sky sports package. Paid £18 for the month with the view to cancel after our games were up. Awesome value. But... Once again sky's awful customer service and sneaky small print caught me out.. small print apparently states 31 days to cancel so unless it was immediately cancelled after subscribing.... It's 2 months you will be charged for. Livid.... Never ever had good or easy dealings with sky. Awful awful company ?

If it's still £18 for the second month that's still pretty cheap.

I went for a Now TV 1 monther at £34.

• I can and I am

• @LX1 said:
    I can and I am

How many games do you think they should show? 10?

• I would suggest Liverpool v Chelsea on one, as many pivotal games as they can on the other channels. Liverpool v CHelsea was on 4 channels. What is the point in that?

• As Malone has pointed out, the games involving West Brom and Brentford were both shown live on Sky and there was an additional programme that followed all the Championship games and included Gareth Ainsworth as a pundit. All this information was available through the programme billings.

• Probably more to do with them saving a few quid shoving the same thing on several channels

• @glasshalffull said:
    As Malone has pointed out, the games involving West Brom and Brentford were both shown live on Sky and there was an additional programme that followed all the Championship games and included Gareth Ainsworth as a pundit. All this information was available through the programme billings.

There's some things to criticise Sky for. Like the delay to our first leg was farcical when they had so many channels to pick from. A total lack of good planning having the kick off times as they did, when everyone knows these drinks breaks delay everything.

But tonight's coverage was pretty brilliant.

• I agree with you regarding the Fleetwood game and I also agree about the excellence of tonight’s coverage. Regarding the Liverpool game, it was an important match for Chelsea in their bid to qualify for the Champions League and will be followed by the presentation of the title trophy to Liverpool. Can’t understand why anyone would think that the game wasn’t worthy of being shown live.

• Incidentally, Sky can’t randomly select as many Championship games as they want to show live, they are contractually obliged to show a certain number and once they have reached that figure they can’t show any more.

• @glasshalffull said:
    I agree with you regarding the Fleetwood game and I also agree about the excellence of tonight’s coverage. Regarding the Liverpool game, it was an important match for Chelsea in their bid to qualify for the Champions League and will be followed by the presentation of the title trophy to Liverpool. Can’t understand why anyone would think that the game wasn’t worthy of being shown live.

Why do you think anyone thought the game wasn't worthy of being shown live?

• I was pointing out the reasons why the game was live on several channels and why those channels couldn’t have been devoted to more Championship games.

• Why was the game shown on several channels?

• Why do you think that is relevant? I’ve already pointed out that Sky couldn’t have shown any more live Championship games and I am waiting for you to say you were mistaken about the games that were shown.

• I've already made clear above that I was unaware of the Brentford game being on, don't wait up on my account! I think it's relevant that the Liverpool game was on 4 channels because I am a Sky customer and it seems bizarre at best to take up 4 channels in this way. Do you know why? It's fine if not.

• I am not sure but I still don’t think it’s relevant to the debate about Sky’s coverage of tonight’s championship action.

• @LX1 said:

@glasshalffull said:
    I agree with you regarding the Fleetwood game and I also agree about the excellence of tonight’s coverage. Regarding the Liverpool game, it was an important match for Chelsea in their bid to qualify for the Champions League and will be followed by the presentation of the title trophy to Liverpool. Can’t understand why anyone would think that the game wasn’t worthy of being shown live.

Why do you think anyone thought the game wasn't worthy of being shown live?

Probably because you described it as a "dead rubber" in your original post.

• One version with crowd noise
    One version without
    One watch along

Was there really a 4th version?

• @Malone said:
    One version with crowd noise
    One version without
    One watch along

Was there really a 4th version?

I think it might have been on their free to air channel too?