Skip to content

Luke O'nein coming home to AP?

Lots of speculation on Twitter after a Sunderland fan posted a goodbye message that Luke liked in return. What do we reckon?

Poll not found

Comments

• How do we afford him?

• @thecatwwfc said:
      How do we afford him?

Depends if he signed an extension or not. If he didn't there's no fee.

And no-one knows what wage he's on there.

• Do we know he signed that extension? Some people are claiming he signed for another year but transfermarkt still has his deal running out this summer.

If he’s a free agent and wants to come here - great. But I doubt we’d move for him if we had to pay a fee.

• Given he has a young family and is doubtless on far high wages than we could afford and the north east is a considerably cheaper area to live than Wycombe, it'd take something very special for him to return, however much he loves us.

• I don’t believe that he had the option.

The clause was one that Sunderland could take up if they wished.

Given the way that club is run who knows whether they did or not although if they didn’t I would have expected that to have come out by now.

• Not fussed about having him back, but Sunderland is an absolute basket case and I'd be getting out of there if I were him.

• Two of my best friends are Sunderland fans and know one of the owners, who lives in Oxford - he tells some horrific tales of fans' abuse of players and managers outside of games, including abuse of one manager's kids at their own football games.

• If the fans on tbe forum are anything to go by...even though most of them accept he gives 100% has been one of their best players and is a nice bloke...he isnt good enough for them! He might fancy coming home and the championship! (Still smiling.)

• @thecatwwfc said:
      How do we afford him?

If we can't afford him then can we sign anyone for the championship season?

• Yes! Trev's back!

Quality week eh Trevor? How have you been celebrating?

• Not sure why but I have just read the entire report of the informal meeting yesterday between Stewart Donald and colleagues and the Red and White Army (RAWA) and other supporters groups. Phew!

Apparently RAWA, Sunderland’s main supporters group, had to clear their notes with the club who did not want a formal agenda or minutes to be published. That process must have been undertaken at considerable speed as their notes appeared on Twitter later the same evening. Not surprisingly therefore, the report is a veritable ragbag of comments and counter comments.

Things seem to be in a very chaotic state. Stewart Donald is committed to selling but, not surprisingly, potential suitors are not exactly falling over each other to pay £37million for an ailing League 1 football club. I particularly smiled at Mr Donald’s suggestion that RAWA might like to rally supporters (everyone of them, I guess) to chip in £1000 each with a view to Trust ownership.

• @eric_plant said:
      Yes! Trev's back!

Had some malt whiskey the other day but anyway how is O'Nien out of our reach exactly we just got promoted to the championship we can't honestly be having a league 2 budget up there.

• We are a poorly run awful team @trevor surely you of all people know that!

• I've just seen him at Cressex Filling Station ( did we ever work out which one that was?)

• @Wendoverman said:
      We are a poorly run awful team @trevor surely you of all people know that!

How about you answer what I said for once.

• @trevor said:

@Wendoverman said:

How big was our budget in League One?. How big will it be in the Championship?. Even if it is bigger it still sort of becomes clear we might not be in the running for players (even if we love them) who come from teams with higher budgets even if they are in a league below us. It may be that we are...but it is more likely not. That is possibly why there is a chance that we could not afford Luke coming back. Not cast iron, but something to take into account.
      So that's how. In my opinion.

• @Wendoverman said:

@trevor said:

@Wendoverman said:

How big was our budget in League One?. How big will it be in the Championship?. Even if it is bigger it still sort of becomes clear we might not be in the running for players (even if we love them) who come from teams with higher budgets even if they are in a league below us. It may be that we are...but it is more likely not. That is possibly why there is a chance that we could not afford Luke coming back. Not cast iron, but something to take into account.
      So that's how. In my opinion.

Probably first option of some players on loan who are good enough for championship football.

• @trevor said:

@eric_plant said:
      Yes! Trev's back!

Had some malt whiskey the other day but anyway how is O'Nien out of our reach exactly we just got promoted to the championship we can't honestly be having a league 2 budget up there.

You must understand that a club who buy a striker for millions at league one level are very likely to pay a lot higher wages than us, a club who average about 6k fans don't you?

• @Malone said:

@trevor said:

@eric_plant said:
      Yes! Trev's back!

You must understand that a club who buy a striker for millions at league one level are very likely to pay a lot higher wages than us, a club who average about 6k fans don't you?

Yes is he leaving Sunderland if so I'm sure we would have a chance to have him back here.

• Surely that depends on whether he is a free agent or not, which no-one seems to know for sure.

• @trevor It was mentioned somewhere that we are probably likely to have the lowest budget of any Championship side EVER (I presume taking into account inflation).

I wouldn’t hold your hopes up for us getting in many established players on hefty wage bills.

Expect a few hand-picked young rejects with the right “character,” a couple of experienced players at the end of their careers looking for one last challenge and a few loanees at the lower percentage levels of us paying their wages

• @bookertease said:
      @trevor It was mentioned somewhere that we are probably likely to have the lowest budget of any Championship side EVER (I presume taking into account inflation).

I wouldn’t hold your hopes up for us getting in many established players on hefty wage bills.

Expect a few hand-picked young rejects with the right “character,” a couple of experienced players at the end of their careers looking for one last challenge and a few loanees at the lower percentage levels of us paying their wages

is that true thought i mean Burton went up once surely our wage budget would be bigger than theirs at the time .

• @trevor said:

@bookertease said:
      @trevor It was mentioned somewhere that we are probably likely to have the lowest budget of any Championship side EVER (I presume taking into account inflation).

is that true thought i mean Burton went up once surely our wage budget would be bigger than theirs at the time .

Very probably bigger in actual money, but possibly not bigger in real terms. And certainly not bigger as a percentage comparison versus the rest of the division.

Be happy for the promotion for now.

• Not necessarily. Having been burnt once, I am happy to struggle on the field & be ok with the bank thanks.

@trevor said:

@bookertease said: