Skip to content

Bayo/ Bloomfield new contracts?

2»

Comments

• I feel Bayo's long-term future lies elsewhere - maybe in the States but certainly more in the public eye, but Darius seems like exactly the sort of man who could nurture and mentor young players: maybe a Bloomfield/Charles team?

• Really like the sound of that @MindlessDrugHoover. GA/Dobbo successors.

• @Twizz said:
    @Vincey, can you cite your source? According to Wikipedia in 2018/2019 the solidarity payment was £4.65M in Championship and £0.7M in league 1.
    My figure of £2.3M was clearly out of date, but has solidarity payment really increased by 50% in 2 years?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premier_League_parachute_and_solidarity_payments

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/championship-clubs-set-lose-most-3980886

We were discussed briefly on “The Price of Football” podcast today and it was mentioned that our income from the EFL will go up from approximately £1m to £7m.
    However it was also stated that whilst our wage bill is possibly around £4m currently (no idea if that’s accurate), the average in the Championship is £31m... Gaz is going to have to get some damn good value out of his signings!

• RC strongly alluded to a wage bill in the region of just over the £2m mark on several occasions earlier in the season.

• @Fidget, interesting. Although the problem with averages, as we all know, is they can be skewed. With a number of clubs receiving Premier League parachute payments the average may well be £31M but a few clubs spend a great deal more and most clubs spend less (I hope!).
    At least one team will spend considerably less next year!

https://www.efl.com/news/2020/july/podcast-wycombes-wembley-win-and-the-final-championship-preview-of-the-season/

I've just listened to Bill Turnbull and Pete Couhig on the EFL podcast. On it Pete says that Wycombe will very probably have the lowest budget ever in the Championship. Interestingly he also seemed to emphasis that because of the circumstance we are in - newly promoted, able to negotiate player contracts in a Covid-19 world - we can invest in the infrastructure to ensure our future survival as a club.

A few weeks ago I thought this summer might be very boring, now I can't wait to see how things develop and which players we might sign.

WE ARE CHAMPIONSHIP!

• Just because the income is £6m+ for one year we don’t have to spend it all in the first year...do we? Let’s be sensible here and build our long term sustainable future. We don’t want nonsense situations where the club owes the owners millions of pounds because the club has overspent...do we? Now the balancing question is...can Gaz ‘do a Burton’ and keep us up?

• @Forest_Blue said:
    Just because the income is £6m+ for one year we don’t have to spend it all in the first year...do we? Let’s be sensible here and build our long term sustainable future. We don’t want nonsense situations where the club owes the owners millions of pounds because the club has overspent...do we? Now the balancing question is...can Gaz ‘do a Burton’ and keep us up?

Have to be conscious of long term contracts too, people won't join for one year unless they are old and we've got lots of senior pro's already. Can't give people 5 year contracts and then go down.

• @Fidget said:

@Twizz said:
    @Vincey, can you cite your source? According to Wikipedia in 2018/2019 the solidarity payment was £4.65M in Championship and £0.7M in league 1.
    My figure of £2.3M was clearly out of date, but has solidarity payment really increased by 50% in 2 years?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premier_League_parachute_and_solidarity_payments

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/championship-clubs-set-lose-most-3980886

We were discussed briefly on “The Price of Football” podcast today and it was mentioned that our income from the EFL will go up from approximately £1m to £7m.
    However it was also stated that whilst our wage bill is possibly around £4m currently (no idea if that’s accurate), the average in the Championship is £31m... Gaz is going to have to get some damn good value out of his signings!

That 4m wage bill, presuming it's playing staff only seems to be worked out on "Richie" maths.

4m divided by 52 weeks is 77k a week which roughly divided by 25 players would be the classic 3k a week.

• @StrongestTeam said:

@Forest_Blue said:
    Just because the income is £6m+ for one year we don’t have to spend it all in the first year...do we? Let’s be sensible here and build our long term sustainable future. We don’t want nonsense situations where the club owes the owners millions of pounds because the club has overspent...do we? Now the balancing question is...can Gaz ‘do a Burton’ and keep us up?

Have to be conscious of long term contracts too, people won't join for one year unless they are old and we've got lots of senior pro's already. Can't give people 5 year contracts and then go down.

I have often wondered about these "long term" contracts. Is it not possible to add caveats on? Example being: If we remain in Championship x£ pw, if we do well, then add a bonus. On the other hand, if we get relegated, x£ pw less y£. Alternatively, x£+ for a 1 year deal?
    I think I've covered the basics.

• Agents I would imagine @EwanHoosaami and how desperate the teams are. Look at Jack Rodwell. I seem to remember at Forest, Lars Bohinen not a household name when he was signed...somehow had an agreement in his contract that he could go if someone offered £600,000, so after finishing third we lost an excellent player to moneybags Blackburn for no money! Also under David Platt in the Championship we had a striker who got a massive contractual bung if he scored more than 20 goals...which I would imagine is what you sign a striker for...and so he did not play for a long period at the end of the season! Madness. Have to be relegation clauses with any players we sign at the very least!

• If I remember correctly, didn't we have a player a few years back who suddenly stopped getting picked and it was assumed that if they played any more games it would trigger a contract extension? Or did I dream that?

• Paul EmbleN

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    If I remember correctly, didn't we have a player a few years back who suddenly stopped getting picked and it was assumed that if they played any more games it would trigger a contract extension? Or did I dream that?

Matt Spring?

• Yes, that rings a bell.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Agents I would imagine @EwanHoosaami and how desperate the teams are. Look at Jack Rodwell. I seem to remember at Forest, Lars Bohinen not a household name when he was signed...somehow had an agreement in his contract that he could go if someone offered £600,000, so after finishing third we lost an excellent player to moneybags Blackburn for no money! Also under David Platt in the Championship we had a striker who got a massive contractual bung if he scored more than 20 goals...which I would imagine is what you sign a striker for...and so he did not play for a long period at the end of the season! Madness. Have to be relegation clauses with any players we sign at the very least!

Did i previously miss you being a Nottsly Forest fan?

• Although I thought that was more that if he played another game we'd have to pay Charlton a bit more

• edited July 2020

@Malone possibly. I never mention it. Not at all. Never :wink:
    Been down here so long now I've gone native.

• @Wendoverman said:
    @Malone possibly. I never mention it. Not at all. Never :wink:

Although of course it is Nottingham Forest. :smiley:

• I think @eric_plant is right about Emblen. I thought MDH might mean Sam Wood, who played a fair bit in the first half of his last season, then suddenly could barely make the bench. Matt Spring does sound right though. He didn’t even make the bench when we didn’t have enough players to fill it.

• You can offer players whatever you like, wether they accept it will depend on what they get offered elsewhere. A drop if we go down and an increase if we go up doesn't sound unreasonable. If we are offering less anyway it could be a sticking point. Often we don't even really try to compete for player, confident we can mould other people's cast offs, will be really interesting to see who pitches up this year.

• edited July 2020

@StrongestTeam said:
    You can offer players whatever you like, wether they accept it will depend on what they get offered elsewhere. A drop if we go down and an increase if we go up doesn't sound unreasonable. If we are offering less anyway it could be a sticking point. Often we don't even really try to compete for player, confident we can mould other people's cast offs, will be really interesting to see who pitches up this year.

I thought it was a fairly standard contract thing, that a promotion had an automatic percentage wage increase.
    Presumably the same with a reduction on a relegation too.

• @Malone said:

@StrongestTeam said:
    You can offer players whatever you like, wether they accept it will depend on what they get offered elsewhere. A drop if we go down and an increase if we go up doesn't sound unreasonable. If we are offering less anyway it could be a sticking point. Often we don't even really try to compete for player, confident we can mould other people's cast offs, will be really interesting to see who pitches up this year.

I thought it was a fairly standard contract thing, that a promotion had an automatic percentage wage increase.

Probably, not sure what percent you'd expect to lose or gain, but my original point is that we can't go silly with 4 year deals on the back of what might only be one years extra income, that kind of thing has bitten too many.

• @StrongestTeam said:

@Malone said:

@StrongestTeam said:

Probably, not sure what percent you'd expect to lose or gain, but my original point is that we can't go silly with 4 year deals on the back of what might only be one years extra income, that kind of thing has bitten too many.

Yep, you're very correct there. 3 years is our maximum from previous years, and someone has to be a real star player, or youngster with supreme potential for that.

But I'm sure now we're managed by pro business men, they'll have a sensible way to manage this.

• Agreed, the Couhigs seem sensible...famous last words!

• It definitely was Matthew Spring @Brownie. He moved on the following season and, having started his career at Luton Town (250 odd games), he went on to play for St Neots Town, Hemel Hempstead Town and Hitchin Town. A real Townie if ever there was one. Classy midfielder in his day.

• @Forest_Blue said:
    Agreed, the Couhigs seem sensible...famous last words!

Hopefully not to sensible, as now would be the best time to sell the club to make a return on their investment.

• Nah @mooneyman, much more sensible to wait a couple of years until we're in the Premiership and then cash in. They know what they're doing.

• @micra said:
    It definitely was Matthew Spring @Brownie. He moved on the following season and, having started his career at Luton Town (250 odd games), he went on to play for St Neots Town, Hemel Hempstead Town and Hitchin Town. A real Townie if ever there was one. Classy midfielder in his day.

It was Matt Spring, a class act much maligned by lovers of a more agricultural type midfielder.
    Scored one of the greatest goals I ever saw in a Wycombe shirt, a volley from near the half way line (admittedly it was against Slough in the B&B cup!).
    Side note he actually played more Premier League games than Gaz!