Skip to content

Comments

• Good luck boys, thanks for the memories

• Genuinely sad to see Sido leave, however unsurprising. One of those rare players it's a joy to watch while also regularly giving you a panic attack. The definition of mercurial. Hope he finds a new club soon. Shame to see Mascoll go too - thought he had a future here, always looked decent when he got a chance.

• Expected I feel. Good luck lads!

• I'm surprised about Mascoll as well, does him and JGS leaving possibly mean our idea for an u23s or whatever it was maybe is not happening now

• Sido has been one of my favourite players of the Ainsworth era. I’ve never seen anyone play quite like him. Those matchstick legs could seeming extend to dispossess attackers from impossible positions. He never missed a chance to pull off something unexpected at critical times.

Good luck Sido, you’ve been outstanding entertainment and a great servant to the club.

• Not a huge surprise on any of those, it's just a shame that we didn't get any opportunity to say farewell.
    Having met Sido a few times, can confirm he's a genuinely nice guy.
    Wish each of them all the best and thanks for the part they played in this most strange of seasons.

• Sido the huge news here. We all knew it was coming, but I'll always think of him and JJ as being a huge part of the new world post Torquay

Hope he find a quality new club, he can cut it low end league 1, top league 2 for a few years without doubt.

Mascoll maybe a tiny surprise, but he barely got any sort of look in beyond half way through the season.

CMS had some good days here in the last promotion, so we thank him for that, and JGS was a solid good guy, but probably will do well to find a league 2 club. A development project.

• JGS possibly a victim of us not being as skint as we thought we were going to be, difficult to judge young players who haven't really got a run of games, there's still time for him, wish him all the best.

• Sido will always be remembered fondly at Adam's Park. Superb first touch and technique, but equally eccentric in his dedication making.
    Always committed and gave 100%, and gave a few heart attacks.
    Thanks for everything Sido !!

• Gutted about Sido, and surprised about Mascoll

• Feel exactly the same @drcongo

• I guess only two full backs in the squad leaves room for a certain full back / centre back from Millwall.

• I don't think we have a single defensive player beyond the starting back four now, if I am right? Certainly some signings to come.

Sad to see Sido go - I hope he finds a club that treat him well in L1 or L2. The young lads were expected, and I share the surprise about Mascoll, but I am sure this season will have been good for them. They will have some stupendous memories, at the very least!

CMS scored some memorable goals, including that hattrick against Crawley. Hopefully he finds a home too.

• Yes also surprised about Mascoll, the others were sort of expected though sad nonetheless

• @HolmerBlue said:
    I'm surprised about Mascoll as well, does him and JGS leaving possibly mean our idea for an u23s or whatever it was maybe is not happening now

Mascoli and JGS are both 23 now and we are probably looking for younger players for the B team to develop. They may not have shown enough promise and potential for a CHAMPIONSHIP B side.

• I’ll miss Sido both on and off the pitch but the timing is right. I hope he finds another league club and gets some regular game time.

Like many I thought Mascoll might stay. He’s looked very useful in his three games this season and had plenty of time to develop on what I assume were low wages.

• I guess we'll want as experienced a crop of defenders as possible next season - obviously gonna be an even more crucial aspect than this season.

• Definately the right call with all those players. Would be a step too far for Sido at this level.

• Agree with much of the above. Gutted to see Sido go as he’s a great guy and a very watchable footballer.

Comfortably my player of the season 12 months ago and a little unlucky to play so few games this term. But then again Stewart and Charles have been something else.

Could be a very good signing for a League Two club as he’s still got three or four seasons in him given his athleticism.

I hope it works out for him.

Agree about Mascoll too. Plenty to work with there I thought and would have been good back up should JJ get injured or get the runaround from quick Championship wingers. Again, a good signing for someone.

• So we need at least:

GK?
    LB
    RB
    CB
    Creative MF
    Striker

I doubt it is going to happen, but I would love to get Jason McCarthy back for his versatility. You automatically have a potential backup at two spots.

• You just know Gaz and Dobbo keep a list of targets.
    And they've probably had a list for both championship and league 1

• The thing with McCarthy is whether anyone else is offering to pay decent money for him and cover his wages, Millwall won't want to release him to a team in the same division but don't seem to want him either. Could see a late transfer for an undisclosed fee.

• I can easily see us paying an undisclosed fee to Millwall for McCarthy now we're up. No clubs will want to carry any players they consider "dead wood"

• @drcongo said:
    Gutted about Sido, and surprised about Mascoll

Ditto

• Am I the only one that thought Mascoll was on loan?

Shame about Sido. What a great player. Likewise CMS. And JGS seemed a good character, even if we didn’t see him play.

I hope they’re given an opportunity at some point next year to say farewell and for their contributions to be acknowledged.

• Bit of a surprise to see JGS and JM leave if we’re still planning to start a B team.

I’ll miss Sido.

• Farewell Sido, you brought a touch of continental flair to everything you did even if your fashion choices were, well, questionable.

And speaking of questions, here's one... which is the better defence - the 2014/15 classic of Jacobson/Mawson/Pierre/Jombati or the 2019/20 heroic combo of Jacobson/Stewart/Charles/Grimmer(slash McCarthy). A tough one - and a great tribute to JJ that he remains as much a stalwart now as he was then.

• @floyd said:
    Bit of a surprise to see JGS and JM leave if we’re still planning to start a B team.

I’ll miss Sido.

The B team would be an U23 team wouldn't it, and i was surprised to hear both of them are already 23.

It does cast doubt on whether we'll suddenly bring in 15 or so young players. Can we afford that?

• @aloysius said:
    Farewell Sido, you brought a touch of continental flair to everything you did even if your fashion choices were, well, questionable.

And speaking of questions, here's one... which is the better defence - the 2014/15 classic of Jacobson/Mawson/Pierre/Jombati or the 2019/20 heroic combo of Jacobson/Stewart/Charles/Grimmer(slash McCarthy). A tough one - and a great tribute to JJ that he remains as much a stalwart now as he was then.

Heck of a debate, as there's so many elements to it.

Mawson is by far the best defender in the combined set.

Stewart has probably surpassed Pierre, and JJ has definitely surpassed his 14/15 season.

Grimmer missed too many games this season, but is a step up on Jombati.

And naturally one team was cutting it in league 1 and the other league 2.

• I'd say the 19/20 defence is comfortably better, even if Mawson is the "best" individual player overall.