Skip to content

Bournemouth Goalkeepers

I had a long conversation yesterday with a friend who is a Bournemouth season ticket holder If, as seems likely, David Stockdale’s loan was extended only to ensure that there wasn’t a repeat of the goalkeeping situation at Wembley five years ago, the club may well be looking to get a ‘keeper in on loan.

We clearly have a good relationship with Bournemouth and of course that started several years ago with the arrival on loan of Rocky Alsopp (hope I’ve spelt that right - can’t come out of this page to check because I did that earlier to check the spelling of Boruc and lost the lot!). After much effing, (though not on the Norsquarter scale) I cooled down and went to get my first haircut for five months.

Anyway, I mentioned how impressed I’d been with Aaron Ramsdale when he was on loan at Wimbledon last year and my friend said that he had taken over from Boruc (now aged 40) as their No 1 ‘keeper. Ramsdale turned 22 in May. But they have another young ‘keeper, Mark Fraser. He turned 21 in May and is perhaps best known for saving three penalties in the shootout in a Cup game on 29 August last year. I found footage of those saves and an interview with the 6’2” stopper but lack the nous to post it. He’s an Irish lad and comes across as very articulate and personable.

Just thought I’d mention it en passant!

Comments

• The goalkeeping situation will definitely be interesting. Overall, Rocky had a good season, and his performance at Wembley was top class.

However, it did appear that Gareth lost a bit of confidence in him pre-lockdown hence the signing of Stockdale and the decision to start him as first choice. Which ultimately backfired.

Is it an area where we could probably strengthen the team? yes probably. Does Rocky deserve to start next season as first choice? yes he does. But a season in the Championship demands that we have two first team strength goalkeepers.

Personally, I think Matt Ingram is still a Championship goalkeeper that’s looking for the right opportunity - and neither QPR or Hull have provided it.

• What would constitute a “right opportunity” @TheatreOfChairs ? Were circumstances difficult at those clubs (apart from the little matter of you know who taking precedence at QPR. Forgotten his name!)

• Yep fair question.

It’s hard for keepers isn’t it on the grounds there can only ever be one in the team.

At QPR he found himself playing second fiddle to the excellent Alex Smithies and then usurped by Joe Lumley at just the wrong time, and at Hull he’s stuck behind the reliable George Long - although the 8 goals he conceded last night won’t have done him any favours.

Ever since he left, Ingram’s never been given the 20 odd games you need in first team football to establish yourself.

But he’s a bloody good goalkeeper as he showed in his one match loan spell back at Wycombe.

• Thanks for that response @TheatreOfChairs. I now see exactly what you mean.

• Just remember there is a large chance of us playing Bournemouth next season in the same division.
    Not sure how willing they would be to loan us players given that situation

• @Guppys_Left_Leg said:
    Just remember there is a large chance of us playing Bournemouth next season in the same division.
    Not sure how willing they would be to loan us players given that situation

Was thinking exactly this about them, Millwall and QPR. It changes the dynamics.

Although those who fancy being near the top might like the idea of helping us battle their rivals

• Whether or not it is Fraser from Bournemouth or some other youngster from a Premier League team, getting a goalkeeper on a season long loan has to be the way forward. Using one of our precious loan spots on someone guaranteed (other than injury) to play every game of the season in a crucial position seems like a no brainer to me

• But you've got to give Ryan Allstop his chance, just like everyone else...

• We'd do well to get Fraser from Bournemouth considering he refused to sign a new contract in the hope of securing a move to a top 6 premiership side!

• I hadn’t heard that @Croider. But the relegation of Bournemouth (still not a foregone conclusion if they could only put their chances away) would clearly change the scenario. Of course, if he did go to a top Prameer club, that would improve the chance of having him on loan. But he’s only just 21 and, apart from having saved a few penalties and however bright and congenital he may.be, we know little (?nothing) about his overall goalkeeping qualities. Bit of Devil’s Advocacy there!

• Looking sharp micra

• edited July 2020

Bit of confusion here - Fraser is Bournemouth's winger who is indeed angling for a move, the young goalkeeper is Mark Travers I believe.

• Is his hair tattooed on?

• I think Bournemouth have enough to stay up myself...but a trip to Dorset next term would be nice.

• @LX1 said:
    Looking sharp micra.

Thanks @LX1. Fortunately the Parlour also dabbled in barbering. Not very sharp on names though. Not sure how I managed to convert Travers into Fraser.
    I blame that Old Speckled Hen.

• @TheatreOfChairs said:
    [...] at Hull he’s stuck behind the reliable George Long - although the 8 goals he conceded last night won’t have done him any favours.

Imagine the half time bollocking he must have got off Baz. Terrifying.

• He had a few nightmare scorelines at QPR didn't he?

• @micra said:
    I hadn’t heard that @Croider. But the relegation of Bournemouth (still not a foregone conclusion if they could only put their chances away) would clearly change the scenario. Of course, if he did go to a top Prameer club, that would improve the chance of having him on loan. But he’s only just 21 and, apart from having saved a few penalties and however bright and congenital he may.be, we know little (?nothing) about his overall goalkeeping qualities. Bit of Devil’s Advocacy there!

“Congenital” ? Ouch !

• I do like the idea of Fraser in goal! He's 5'4" so it might not work out so well but I'd enjoy seeing the look on his face as the ball went past him time and again, the traitorous toerag.

You've already corrected that but I can't miss any opportunity to stick the boot in to that little git.

As for Travers, it's possible he may be available. Despite all the goals we shipped, prior to the lockdown our no.1 keeper Ramsdale was playing really well. He then started playing well again in our last couple of matches so there's a reasonable chance a PL club may come in for him. There are a few rumours floating about. If he moves I can see Travers being promoted to first choice in which case no chance.

However, if we hang on to Ramsdale and can persuade Boruc to sign for one more season as number 2 then a loan for Travers would make a lot of sense.

Sorry to hear the manager may have doubts about Rocky but hopefully he's given the chance since it was snatched away from him pretty early on when we got promoted.

• To be fair, I think a substantial number of people have had doubts about Rocky at times and one or two errors in the recent past have been pretty basic and potentially costly. But he is resilient and his errors have been counterbalanced by a fair number of spectacular game changing reflex saves - witness the two in quick succession in the second half of the Wembley final. But for those saves we would not be in the Championship now.

‘Twas I who first drew attention on here to the tremendous potential and impressive physical and personal qualities of Mark Travers. The latter qualities are paramount at Wycombe Wanderers.

I’m sure Gareth Ainsworth is well aware of Mark (referred to in one of my increasingly frequent senior moments as Mark Fraser?). And he’s only just turned 21.

• I see that Bournemouth have reportedly declined a £12 million bid from Sheffield United for Aaron Ramsdale. With £40 million already for Nathan Aké they aren’t doing too badly financially.

• I believe they were (approx) £80m in debt prior to the Ake sale, so they may have to sell more players yet. 40-80m seems an outrageous level of debt to me, but perhaps they see it as perfectly Manageable with their business model.

No matter how successful/financially strong we might become, I hope we never allow our own debt to reach such irresponsible levels.

• Half that division is spending more on wages than it brings in and only one club made a profit in 2018/19 (v eight clubs in League One - ok, still bad).

• edited August 2020

@micra said:
    I see that Bournemouth have reportedly declined a £12 million bid from Sheffield United for Aaron Ramsdale. With £40 million already for Nathan Aké they aren’t doing too badly financially.

Plus Liverpool are offering £35m for David Brooks and Wilson being touted around for £15-20m. Including the parachute money, their coffers could be filled with up to £150m! I'm not sure their current debt is too worrying bearing in mind their saleable assets @Jonny_King.

• Presumably Wilson's fee is lower than you'd expect due to apparently being on 100k a week!
    This has always been the issue with wages. Not those top quality talents but the fairly average top flight players getting kings ransoms

• Still a good chance their wage bill minus two or three top earners sold and some percentage relegation clauses kicking in is still a fair bit more than they can expect in income with partial gates. If they want to come straight back up they'll be tempted to retain some they shouldn't and replace some of those outgoing. You can see how clubs get in a downward spiral if they aren't careful.

• But the prospect of getting Mark Travers on loan must have receded (assuming of course that he was already within our sights).