Skip to content

Match day thread: Oxford (Play-off Final)

Comments

• @OakwoodExile said:
    Brilliant @NorsQuarters although I also admire the tolerance of your fellow drinkers

I think that might be fear rather than tolerance!

• It's how YouTube spell it on their subtitles also. EFL (in this case English as a Foreign Language) speakers have serious issues pronouncing Wycombe, see the Jurgen Klopp's interview re: Akinfenwa.

• @robin said:
    Has anybody on here looked at Oxford fans Yellow Forum? It's 31 pages of hilarity and sour grapes i loved reading their comments, LOL!!

Read the posts of Ste Merritt. He's a moderator but was hilariously arrogant dismissive of us and complacent.

If anyone has even the remotest sympathy for Oxford read this guy and many others before and after posts.

Only slight miss with Oxford is it's a super close away. But Reading can easily take that billing. Four ends too!!

• Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere but there's a great piece in the Times, largely from the Martin O'Neill angle. It's was available online yesterday (behind the pay wall) but is out in print today: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/take-our-crown-why-not-this-is-the-finest-day-in-wycombe-wanderers-history-bz5r8fdj3. Of particular interest to the likes of @Forest_Blue and @Wendoverman no doubt!

• They probably think the Y in Wycombe makes it look foreign.

• If, if, if Gareth's head is turned by a bigger club over the next season and heads into the sunset, I'd love to see Martin O'Neill back at Wycombe, ideally nurturing Matt Bloomfield or someone else with chops for management as his deputy, grooming them to take over in the years to come. Reading that interview, he clearly wants to return!

• The best thing on the Yellows forum is this piece of epic trolling by Che. I assume this is "the" Che - it certainly reads like him. I don't understand why he never posts on here; we are definitely the poorer for it.

"I still can't believe it. Wycombe Wanderers are in the Championship. Somebody pinch me! I think I'm still dreaming.

Commiserations ladies and gents. I know losing to Wycombe Wanderers is hard to take at any time, never mind in a League One Play-off final at Wembley."

I guess when you are beating Manchester United in a League Cup quarter-final, facing the Chairboys in a league game less than seven years later is something of a comedown. Especially as we were beating Didcot Town 4-0 in a Berks & Bucks Cup tie just three days after you had knocked the Red Devils out of the cup.

It probably explains why you have never been able to take us seriously. You'd like to think that managers and players would show a bit more respect, but for the supporters, we are forever the annoying little upstarts from down the road.

It tends to work in our favour, especially when you have a manager in Gareth Ainsworth and a squad of players who have such belief. The current side reminds me of the spirit we had under Martin O'Neill and it can take you a long way. Even to the Championship. It felt like this was an opportunity not to be passed up. Carpe Diem.

It's put a few noses out of joint and in pretty much every game we've played this season we've been described as a pub team, poor, rubbish, aimless and thuggish. We do nothing, create nothing and just got lucky. You wouldn't believe how lucky we have got this season. Long may it continue! Rumours that Covid-19 started from a laboratory in the West Wycombe caves should be taken with a pinch of salt!

Oh and we have been serenaded with "I wouldn't want to watch that every week" after almost every game we've won. We all find different things entertaining but this season has been joyful and I have been thoroughly entertained. Winning matches will always be fun, especially with such rich rewards.

Gareth Ainsworth was managed by John Beck at three different clubs as a player and his influence is clear. I think he has adapted it for the modern game and eschewed possession for purpose, using the strengths of the players at his disposal and exposing the weaknesses of opponents. Character is just as important as ability and I think that showed last night. When you have a player like Joe Jacobson, with such a superb delivery from set-pieces, why wouldn't you embrace it? I thought the tactical move to put Jack Grimmer on Marcus Browne worked a treat, especially with David Wheeler covering the full-back position. Karl Robinson reacted positively by introducing Liam Kelly at the break and it gave you a renewed impetus until the second-half drinks break which gave us a chance to recompose ourselves and go again.

The only real clear cut chance of the game fell for James Henry and I think his lack of confidence was clearly illustrated in his decision to square the ball instead of taking the shot on. I understand he's been one of your best players this season, so perhaps you could give him a break, although I realise that's easy for me to say. I remember Matt Taylor tearing our defence apart when playing for Bristol Rovers back in 2015. He looked a pale shadow of that player last night. Apart from the period between Mark Sykes equaliser and the drinks break, I felt there was a lack of belief from your side. I'm not sure why but we appear to have had a psychological edge over several opponents this season and it has made the difference.

From the outside it might be difficult to fully appreciate the impact Adebayo Akinfenwa has had on our club since signing in 2016. He is arguably our greatest ever signing as a Football League club. Now our leading goalscorer in the Football League, he leads by example and the spirit he encourages among the squad is one of the reasons we have achieved so much in those four years. He is loved by pretty much everyone at the club and will be leading the line for us again next season.

You wouldn't believe how proud some of us are of our club. It is rather a fairytale story for us. 133 years of history, started by a group of young lads working in the chair factories, over half of which was then spent pursuing amateur glory, and now we are in the second tier of English football. It will give us a huge financial boost and a stability we haven't had for almost a decade, but glory on the pitch is really what we all do this for.

I've always thought that you earn respect in the same way that you earn your rewards. Maybe last night will have earned us a little more respect and I must admit I've been surprised by some of the compliments and congratulations from some on here. It probably suits us better if you keep belittling us, dismissing us and writing us off though.

Oh and btw, we can agree on one thing. We are not rivals. Enjoy your battles with Swindon Town next season. We'll try and beat Reading for you.

• The above post really got them wound up just brilliant!

• I find the other forums depressing reading after about ten pages. Every team will hate us in the championship despite the fact they will all beat us comfortably and we are a sure six points for every other team. None of the referees will fall for the tricks that EVERY other L1 official fell for in EVERY game down here. Ridiculous.

• Absolutely fell about laughing at this comment from AbbeyOx: had a shite nights sleep, got to work and dropped my vape so can’t have my morning nicotine hit and the normally relaxing songs from the birds by my greenhouse sound like they’re laughing, so they can feck off as well

• @Shev said:

@DPR97 said:
    Although not having been league sides years in many cases since well before most of us were born we’re far from rare in reaching tier 2 as a “small provincial club”.
    Hereford, Bury (winning the FA cup over a 100 years ago makes them far from a big club after all Marlow got to the semi finals 20 years before), Shrewsbury, Scunthorpe, Doncaster, Wrexham, Wimbledon, Wigan (pre big money times), Crewe, Rotherham, Mansfield are all small clubs from medium sized towns with few resources at the time they reached it who also did it) .

That doesn’t in the slightest take away from what we’ve done but also don’t make out we’re anywhere near the first plucky small timers to do it. It’s almost a bit patronising.

I think the reason it feels like a bigger story is that it is getting harder to do. Similar to why Leicester winning the league feels to me like a crazier achievement than Derby or Forest back in the day (sorry @Wendoverman and @Forest_Blue).

I agree that the gap between the haves and the have nots has grown and to me Leicester’s win was so unlikely as to be almost surreal. They really were something like 5000-1 to win the title.
    But I think that we can realistically expect to be able to someone like Rotherham from more recent years in giving it a go at at least staying up.

• Nice article here with some reflections from MON:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/take-our-crown-why-not-this-is-the-finest-day-in-wycombe-wanderers-history-bz5r8fdj3

Times has a paywall but I think (?) you can read a few articles free.

• @Wendoverman said:
    I find the other forums depressing reading after about ten pages. Every team will hate us in the championship despite the fact they will all beat us comfortably and we are a sure six points for every other team. None of the referees will fall for the tricks that EVERY other L1 official fell for in EVERY game down here. Ridiculous.

Some of those comments reinforce the opinion that some football fans are literally the worst people you can meet.
    So horribly one eyed and refuse to see any positive in anyone else.

I waded through the usual nonsense but actually saw a couple of fans insinuating our bench had shouted "leave it" to get their goon defender to inexplicably duck a simple header.

Why on earth would you just let a ball you can easily head clear, bounce over your head when you're 35 yards from goal and you have no idea what the attacker is doing.

Utterly amazing defending only rivalled by Henry being 7 yards out with a tap in with no defender within 3-4 metres and inexplicably tries a pass. Mad.

• @Malone said:

@Wendoverman said:
    I find the other forums depressing reading after about ten pages. Every team will hate us in the championship despite the fact they will all beat us comfortably and we are a sure six points for every other team. None of the referees will fall for the tricks that EVERY other L1 official fell for in EVERY game down here. Ridiculous.

Some of those comments reinforce the opinion that some football fans are literally the worst people you can meet.
    So horribly one eyed and refuse to see any positive in anyone else.

I waded through the usual nonsense but actually saw a couple of fans insinuating our bench had shouted "leave it" to get their goon defender to inexplicably duck a simple header.

Why on earth would you just let a ball you can easily head clear, bounce over your head when you're 35 yards from goal and you have no idea what the attacker is doing.

Utterly amazing defending only rivalled by Henry being 7 yards out with a tap in with no defender within 3-4 metres and inexplicably tries a pass. Mad.

Karl Robinson himself insinuated exactly this in his post match press conference - that the defender heard "leave it", it wasn't the keeper and no one knows where it came from. It's little surprise some of their fans feel the same way when their own manager is on a similar level on the goon scale.

• I waded through the usual nonsense but actually saw a couple of fans insinuating our bench had shouted "leave it" to get their goon defender to inexplicably duck a simple header.

Tommy Mooney used to do that on the pitch. Amazing how often it worked.

• I think the ref shouted leave it. Or was it the EFL?

• @Malone said:
    But you'll always get one eyed fans.

You sure will Malone.

• @Wendoverman said:
    I think the ref shouted leave it. Or was it the EFL?

The greatest "leave it" in history.

• @glasshalffull said:
    I have just sent a text to Adrian Durham, pointing out in a respectful manner the errors in his rant and reminding him of his duty as a broadcast journalist not to confuse opinions with facts.

I just got round to listening...only got half way through...what a complete wind-up merchant. Insinuations everywhere. Everyone likes Akinfenwe but he's an ego maniac who pushes the others out of the limelight. They said they had no money so how will they sign players now? We had 'collapsed' before the lockdown. I suppose TalkSport is the Sun of football programming but even so...

• Rick Parry was there. On the grassy knoll, I hear.

• They loved this post from a Wycombe fan though. Can you see why:

'As a WWFC fan, happy to admit we got lucky not just in last night's match but also by reaching the playoffs to begin with as we were in freefall pre-lockdown. I'd be spitting feathers if was an OUFC fan. Obviously I'm ecstatic to make The Championship but think you can probably take comfort in the fact we'll come straight back down. '

• @Wendoverman said:

@glasshalffull said:
    I have just sent a text to Adrian Durham, pointing out in a respectful manner the errors in his rant and reminding him of his duty as a broadcast journalist not to confuse opinions with facts.

I just got round to listening...only got half way through...what a complete wind-up merchant. Insinuations everywhere. Everyone likes Akinfenwe but he's an ego maniac who pushes the others out of the limelight. They said they had no money so how will they sign players now? We had 'collapsed' before the lockdown. I suppose TalkSport is the Sun of football programming but even so...

This guy is pure click bait. Amazed people still bite.

Would love the 'leave it' theory to be true.

• So a defender hears "leave it" from our sideline and thinks it is grom the goalie or another defender? If their sense of direction is that bad, no wonder the only time they scored was when trying to cross!

• Aren't you still supposed to shout a name with the 'leave it'?

That used to be a foul didn't it?

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

Would love the 'leave it' theory to be true.

Sounds like I will be buying quite a few t-shirts in the off season:)

Aren't you still supposed to shout a name with the 'leave it'?

Was my faults exactly. It was always a foul at the lowest level.
    I can't imagine you can just do it in the pro game, or you'd just hear players chancing it the whole time.

If that defender can't judge that a simple header 40 yards from goal is all it takes, more fool him!

It's funny what you miss in real time, or remember at least.

I hadn't remembered at all the dodgy backpass, their man not bothering to chase, or the ducking on first watch!

• Ah. That explains Grimmers elephant in the tree reference in the Sky pre game interview.

Aren't you still supposed to shout a name with the 'leave it'?

If it's ie Anthony Stewart claiming the ball to kick it away etc he can't say "mine" .Has to say Anthony.