Skip to content

The teams that we will be playing next season

The Teams that we will be facing next season as of this morning are the following:
Blackburn Rovers
Coventry City
Norwich City
Reading
Queens Park Rangers
Rotherham United
Sheffield Wednesday (facing a possible 12 point deduction)

I will continue to update it day by day. COYB!

Comments

• Luton under the delightful Nathan Jones having a real go at remaining at our level next season.

The prospect almost enough to wish Oxford had won?

But not quite...

• Is that really the complete list of clubs currently “safe” in the Championship? So we’re part of a select group of half a dozen clubs guaranteed a place. It gets better!

• @micra said:
    Is that really the complete list of clubs currently “safe” in the Championship? So we’re part of a select group of half a dozen clubs guaranteed a place. It gets better!

I assume it also excludes any club with a mathematical chance, no matter how remote, of being promoted too.

• @OxfordBlue said:

@micra said:
    Is that really the complete list of clubs currently “safe” in the Championship? So we’re part of a select group of half a dozen clubs guaranteed a place. It gets better!

I assume it also excludes any club with a mathematical chance, no matter how remote, of being promoted too.

Yh exactly it's the clubs which mathematically will be in the division next season and not the clubs with minuscule changes of promotion or relegation

• Birmingham and Stoke will be confirmed with wins tonight.

• Oops, Barnsley have a game in hand - so it would only be 99% confirmed.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Oops, Barnsley have a game in hand - so it would only be 99% confirmed.

That game in hand is away at Leeds tomorrow at 5PM, i can't see them getting anything there.

• Yeah, they've got Leeds, Brentford and Forest.

• Shame, I enjoy a trip to Oakwell!

• There’s likely to be 5 teams we’ve not played in previous league games - Forest, Derby, Blackburn, Middlesbrough, Villa(?) - assuming West Brom go up (and Forest don’t).
    And I’m sure someone else will have already mentioned this somewhere, but we’ll be entering the FA Cup at the 3rd round, along with the rest of the big boys!

• Blackburn is going to be a fantastic game for Gareth, isn't it. I'm absolutely delighted for him.

• I just hope away fans are allowed in sooner rather than later. Maybe they could save all the good away days for the back end of the season...

• @our_frank said:
    Blackburn is going to be a fantastic game for Gareth, isn't it. I'm absolutely delighted for him.

Super Simon Garner has to be guest of honour that day, doesn't he.

• Probably two European Cup winners.
    A Premier League winner.

What a time to be alive.

• How relatively short a time ago it was we were trudging out of Adams Park contemplating non league football and the possible extinction of our club after losing to Bristol Rovers.

The lowest point of my 40-odd years as a supporter, and now I'm still cresting on the greatest high.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:

@our_frank said:
    Blackburn is going to be a fantastic game for Gareth, isn't it. I'm absolutely delighted for him.

Super Simon Garner has to be guest of honour that day, doesn't he.

Got to be @bluntphil's summariser too.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    How relatively short a time ago it was we were trudging out of Adams Park contemplating non league football and the possible extinction of our club after losing to Bristol Rovers.

The lowest point of my 40-odd years as a supporter, and now I'm still cresting on the greatest high.

The turnaround is absolutely beyond belief.

Although being football supporters, we'll quickly adjust to the championship after a couple of months and forget the privilege of what we're experiencing!

• Having heard many a Luton fan on 3 Counties this season on my way home from matches I fear you may be right @Malone

• If we just accept the fact that we're going straight into a relegation battle and enjoy the ride it will be less stressful. However high they finished, Luton should have done the same. If the Rev cannot save them...who could?

• @Wendoverman That is my intended approach in a nutshell. If you catch me moaning about our inability to get a point at the City Ground or all three at home to QPR, feel free to remind me.

• Expectations do change with context, but surely we will all have our heads screwed on right for this coming season.

The one thing that would be genuinely disappointing: Our only second tier season having no crowds, and us being relegated without feeling like we properly experienced the second tier. This is out of everyone's hands, though, and would not be the fault of the players.

• @Shev Completely agree. One particular point of regret for me would be if I couldn't go to QPR. Loftus Road is 1.7 miles from where I live (I didn't live here when we've played them previously) and I think that would be the shortest distance I've ever travelled to watch Wycombe, home or away, in 49 years supporting them. I appreciate the same considerations don't apply to you though!

• @Wendoverman said:
    If we just accept the fact that we're going straight into a relegation battle and enjoy the ride it will be less stressful. However high they finished, Luton should have done the same. If the Rev cannot save them...who could?

Rotherham and Coventry will be in the same boat as us, and whoever finishes 20th and 21st won't exactly be awash with confidence.
    So it's not a given we can't scuffle out of those bottom 3.

• I would imagine there will be a lot of discussions about 'a valuable point in our battle to beat the drop' next term. We know it always goes one season avoid relegation, next season push for promotion! :smiley:

• Hence the song “Everything will be alright” will be sung with gusto. I’m looking forward to the season. As Gareth says No Pressure will will still continue to be underdogs

• Finishing 21st next season would be even more of an achievement than finishing 3rd this year.

• @Chris said:
    Finishing 21st next season would be even more of an achievement than finishing 3rd this year.

I don't see this as a fact. We've competed for the last two years with teams dropping from the Championship and done ok. This season any three from about eight could go down so the othe five plus the three going up can't be that far apart.

It's going to be a tough season and we'll need some decent additions to help our aging generals but I'm getting fed up with @Chris constantly posting sich negative stuff and not being lumped with the more famous doubters such as @trevor

• Yes do cheer up please @chris.

From that obnoxious response to a poster the other week to your total negativity, I'm wondering who is running your account at the moment.

• I mean, he's not wrong. I'd take even greater pride in staying in the Championship than getting there to begin with.

• If you can't dream with this manager and players then I'm honestly not sure when you will

This is not the week for "we're there for a season" or "it will be a miracle if we stay up"

It's for dreaming