Skip to content

Bayo/ Bloomfield new contracts?

Still on a massive high after last nights game but reality is starting to come more into focus. I’m not sure Bayo and Bloomfield can cut it in the Championship. They have been incredible servants to the club in many different ways but I believe this maybe the time to dispense with their services and use their salaries on younger players. We are unlikely to have a massive budget for the playing staff and therefore we need to dispense with sentiment and become more hard nosed. My admiration for both players is enormous but we need to plan for the future.

Comments

• Both of those players offer far more to the club than just their on-field performance. GA won’t part ways with 2 of his 4 generals.

• I doubt we'll see many outs at all.
    Gareth apparently said something to that effect on Quest.

Sido might be struggling to stay, but maybe 4th choice centre back, with a new signing to come in could work?

Bayo will play one more season out, but probably after years of people saying it, will become more of a super sub.

• There is someone with absolutely zero idea of how we've achieved what we've achieved

• @davecz said:
    Still on a massive high after last nights game but reality is starting to come more into focus. I’m not sure Bayo and Bloomfield can cut it in the Championship. They have been incredible servants to the club in many different ways but I believe this maybe the time to dispense with their services and use their salaries on younger players. We are unlikely to have a massive budget for the playing staff and therefore we need to dispense with sentiment and become more hard nosed. My admiration for both players is enormous but we need to plan for the future.

Worst post ever

• edited July 2020

Gaz said there won't be any big rebuild, we simply can't afford to do it sensibly. He also made a big point of every one of these players earning the right to be Championship players. Admittedly, Sido and a couple of others will probably go for lack of playing time, but Bayo - assuming his knee can take another season - and Blooms will stay. One year for Bayo and one year for Blooms with the option to extend? Frankly, I think to say there isn't room for sentiment misunderstands what Ainsworth's Wycombe is all about.

• Bayo should get a new deal no questions if he can stay fit. As an option off the bench he could be invaluable even if we do bring in other options.

Bloomfield a player coach role for me, he's earned the right to play in the championship, but I do feel we shouldn't be considering him as a starter next year by a long shot, but I would have said the same this season!

• Yes for sure. One last challenge for both - and staying up will be at least as big a job as getting up.

I'm hoping the championship will actually suit a number of our players more than this league.
    Freeman and Stewart give me that feeling.

• I wonder if its the same people doubting these two in the Championship who doubted them in League One too. A lazy generalisation maybe but until all Wycombe fans understand how much these two add to the group I'll have to keep pointing it out.

And just in case you didn't hear it at the back Bayo and Bloomers will be a credit to our club in the Championship.

• If you listened to the post match interviews, Karl Robinson spoke of the worries and pressures of keeping players and signing new ones as the core factor in success for the future. In a nutshell, he demonstrated the gulf between him (a very good manager) and GA, who looks to keep a squad of similar thinking ego free players, develop their confidence, ability, self respect and maintain performance levels, without buying in 'big headed/ego heavy talent' like some form of commodity. As @jessvl1 says, players can offer more than apparent on-field ability.

• Yep, just get rid. Oh wait... sorry... “dispense with their services”. That’s the way to treat your club legends. Good call.

• The Championship is a monumental step up from League One and I'd be lying if I said I thought every single player would excel there or be a regular - but they have earned the right. I can think of examples of club legends who've risen up through the leagues anyway - Nathan Pond was at Fleetwood 15 years, Ian Ashbee played for Hull in all four divisions. The jump is bigger than it's ever been, but the jump from League One relegation scrappers to play-off winners was also massive in its own way.

• edited July 2020

@Malone said:
    Yes for sure. One last challenge for both - and staying up will be at least as big a job as getting up.

I'm hoping the championship will actually suit a number of our players more than this league.
    Freeman and Stewart give me that feeling.

A very astute post. Sometimes you don't know who can make the step up till you give them that shot. I agree on Freeman and Stewart (with Fred, Grimmer, Gape and Kashket too, at least).

As for Bayo and Blooms, this team is built on squad unity. I can't see any way (barring injury) in which Mr. Wycombe does not lead the club onto the pitch for their first game in the second tier. I do feel they will both play less of a role on the pitch, but continue to set that vital tone in the dressing room, off it.

As I said before, I think Dom Gape's role is going to grow, as the youngest general, and the most obvious leadership connection into the next generation. I would love to think that three years from now, he is the most senior of a new group of Championship generals, including Stewart, Grimmer and so forth.

• I GLOLed at this.

• Our players have earned the right to play some role in our championship squad (and how good it feels to write that). At the same time we should add quality in three or four positions - Centre back to pair with Stewart as Darius probably can’t play every week; attacking mid; striker and goal keeper. For Sido, he might not get much pitch time so he may choose to leave. Finally I think we will get plenty of opportunities to get Premier League loan players...and you know that combination might keep us up.

• If Blooms doesn’t get a new deal we are morally bankrupt as a club. It would literally be a crime and I would take legal action against Ainsworth.

• I wonder if Sheffield United fans were worrying about how John Fleck, Jack O'Connell, Chris Basham, Billy Sharp etc would cope with such a dramatic 'step up' when they all won League 1 promotion in 2017.

• Blooms was written off for league one by some...and JJ...both have just had their best two seasons . Bloomfield looks fit. We'll get 10 million according to @DevC even a good bump in their wages would hardly touch that. They will get another year at least. Try to enjoy the moment a bit more @davecz and dont worry too much about 'reality'.

• TV money is not £10M, this season it was I believe £2.3M plus clubs whose home games are on TV are awarded a minimum of £100,000. That figure rises to £120,000 if the match is moved to a Sunday, or £140,000 if it is held on a Thursday. Away club receives £10,000.
    Prize money for winning, not counting earnings in the Premier League, is only about £600k.

• I thought it seemed a very generous pay out.

• They will both get a new one year deal as they deserve it, evening they dont play as much, because of what they will offer in the background. Some other fringe players will have to go mind, as we will need to bring a few new faces in, along with some loan signings

• Bloody fat fingers.... even if... not evening !

• You get £6.8 million in solidarity and basic payments for competing in the championship.

• @eric_plant said:
    There is someone with absolutely zero idea of how we've achieved what we've achieved

Thanks @eric_plant. Saved me the trouble of writing it.

• edited July 2020

@Vincey, can you cite your source? According to Wikipedia in 2018/2019 the solidarity payment was £4.65M in Championship and £0.7M in league 1.
    My figure of £2.3M was clearly out of date, but has solidarity payment really increased by 50% in 2 years?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premier_League_parachute_and_solidarity_payments

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/championship-clubs-set-lose-most-3980886

• Matt Bloomfield will likely be the next Wycombe manager. Maybe not even in the next 2 or 3 years but as and when Ainsworth and Dobbo get a call they cant refuse, I can't see a better candidate to keep this dynasty going.

• The best figures I can find are around £5m in "solidarity payments" and a further around £5m in TV money from the EFL deal. Whether either figure has been affected by the Covid situation, I don't know.

• The fee that clubs recieve per televised game is considerably higher as well, and I believe the minimum number of televised games is increased so the 9 million figure could include that?

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Matt Bloomfield will likely be the next Wycombe manager. Maybe not even in the next 2 or 3 years but as and when Ainsworth and Dobbo get a call they cant refuse, I can't see a better candidate to keep this dynasty going.

Absolutely. Blooms is our succession plan, something for which we have Gary Waddock to thank. Apparently a huge believer in planning for succession, on signing Gareth Ainsworth he told everyone "I've just signed your next manager". I would love us to continue that, it seems like a really great way to ensure you keep the values that fed your success. Imagine if Bayo was part of that succession plan too. Absolute scenes.

• Wasn't Paul Hayes allegedly our succession plan at one stage......

• It was speculated on. And I'll admit I'm only speculating here too about Blooms.