Skip to content

Player of the Season

It would be easy to just say 'the Squad' and clearly we wouldn't be where we are without that supreme togetherness and camaraderie. But we should not shirk our responsibilities.

Back last August I thought the player of the season would be a close-run thing between Fred and Wheeler - and both played hugely important roles in our success - if Fred had remained injury-free I suspect we wouldn't have had Wembley because we'd have gone up automatically. But looking back now it's been a season for the defence to shine. Darius Charles and JJ in particular have had amazing campaigns. The former imperious, the latter wondrous. For all his goals, assists and proving you don't need to be fast to be a full back if you've got the smarts, my vote goes to Joe Jacobson.

Poll not found

Comments

• JJ for me, and if you have a young player of the season Nnamdi by a mile.

• I'd love to give it to Darius for character alone but got to be JJ. Wasnt he supposed to have been found out at this level for his lack of pace or something?

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
      I'd love to give it to Darius for character alone but got to be JJ. Wasnt he supposed to have been found out at this level for his lack of pace or something?

No @MindlessDrugHoover he will be 'found out' next season! :smiley:

• So difficult to choose between JJ and Darius.

• Was jj but after playing every match and star performer last night it has to be Stewart for me.

• Hard to look beyond Stewart after playing every minute of every game, and obviously the huge performance he put in last night when it mattered most. Between him and JJ for me, both would be worthy winners

• It shows how good we were defensively that if Grimmer were fit all season, it might be a toss up between the back four. Stellar!

• First choice back four were superb when all fit and playing...and the all too often slated Rocky kept 13 clean sheets if Sky is to be believed, third lowest in League. I also liked Mascoll when he played as left back but chances were far and few. Stewart was ever present though in the League wasn't he?

• @Vital said:
      So difficult to choose between JJ and Darius.

Exactly this.
      Both supreme characters too and who doesn't love an exotic left footed set piece merchant.

But I've just gone Charles on one of the most amazing turn arounds we've seen from definite release material to absolute star defender.
      From retirement risk to these performances.amazing.

Helped by Stewart having the season of his life, both in performances and lack of injuries.

• Argh! Slip of paper between Charles, Stewart and JJ. All worthy winners, but Charles shades due his comeback.

• @Shev said:
      It shows how good we were defensively that if Grimmer were fit all season, it might be a toss up between the back four. Stellar!

I had actually forgotten how good Grimmer is at right back.
      Better than McCarthy at defending for sure.

• I think you might be right @Malone - he was a little wayward with the passing early on in last night's game, but barely put a foot wrong all evening when it came to defending. Great performance.

• What about Grimmer at right back and a returning McCarthy right midfield in a 4-4-2?

• Charles everyday.
      The man so NO cartilage in one of his hips - I can't even think how painful even walking must be in that situation. Let alone run. Then he goes and plays like he does.
      God knows if he can even move today. 3 games in a little over 10 days that's madness

• Nightmare of a choice, but JJ gets it for me, because he was not only imperious in defending like the others, but was our top scorer in the end, I think? Scored a hattrick and the goal that took us up. It's painful to pick one of these defenders over another, but he was so good at both ends, I don't know how anyone else gets it.

• JJ for me. Aside for the reasons given above, the grin on his face after his straight from the corner goal at Fleetwood, seemed to last half the game and sums our season up, happiness that comes from achieving what seems impossible and then doing it again. Like many of the others he has been an ambassador for the club all season with a series of honest and charming interviews. He had the armband on when the final whistle went yesterday. Darius Charles gave us far beyond what fans can expect from a player and Anthony Stewart gave us the win yesterday and I hope just might be player of the season for our highest ever finish next season, but I think this one was JJ's season.

• @Wendoverman said:
      What about Grimmer at right back and a returning McCarthy right midfield in a 4-4-2?

With 50 or so games in a season, and Charles not being able to play 2 a week except for do or die situations, McCarthy is a great 2 for 1 addition.

Am sure Gareth has some great ideas in mind though.
      More creativity in central areas, and more goals in the building are key.

• @railwaysteve said:
      JJ for me. Aside for the reasons given above, the grin on his face after his straight from the corner goal at Fleetwood, seemed to last half the game and sums our season up, happiness that comes from achieving what seems impossible and then doing it again. Like many of the others he has been an ambassador for the club all season with a series of honest and charming interviews. He had the armband on when the final whistle went yesterday. Darius Charles gave us far beyond what fans can expect from a player and Anthony Stewart gave us the win yesterday and I hope just might be player of the season for our highest ever finish next season, but I think this one was JJ's season.

Any talk of him being any sort of liability pace wise was totally dismissed this season. Having two faster centre backs back there helped no end, along with his smartness in positioning.

• edited July 2020

Joe Jacobson has just been fabulous. Cool, calm, composed. Leads by example with set-piece deliveries that could slice bread.

• @glasshalfempty said:
      Joe Jacobson has just been fabulous. Cool, calm, composed. Leads by example with set-pieces deliveries that could slice bread.

Excellent summary @glasshalfempty.

• It’s got to be Charles for me. To do what he’s done for us in the physical condition he is in and after being let go a year ago is just unreal. During that run before Christmas when game after game the opposition barely got a sniff on front of goal he was imperious

• JJ for me. Charles' is definitely the best story, and we couldn't have done this without any of them, but JJ feels like the one we most couldn't have done without. That probably makes no sense, but my head hurts.

• A very tough decision but I've gone with Darius because, I believe, his presence in the team has improved the performances of Stewart & JJ plus his own commanding contributions. But it really is so close that any of those three would be worthy winners.
      Damn it, why can there only be one winner?

• JJ I think for me. So many goal contributions and super reliable defensively this season. Like Blooms, he seems to either getting fitter with age, or just learning better how to use his body and avoid ending up in positions where he needs to sprint.

Charles and Stewart close seconds.

I also think Thompson was superb when we were at our best. Easy to forget as he hasn’t featured much in the play offs but in some of our best displays he was absolutely brilliant winning so many loose balls. Similar for Gape. I’d even buy Bloomfield in the mix given how well he has led by example and set the tone for our work rate off the ball.

Of course, everyone has been magnificent so it is hard to single out specific names. Even the fringe players have made significant contributions in various games. We’ve really seen the benefit of having some strength in depth this season.

• We can at least all agree that the combo of the 3 of them has been a massive foundation of a superb season.

Stewart having his best season in both form and lack of injuries, and a supreme combination with Charles.

Not surprisingly this combo, with pace has totally removed any doubts about JJ having a lack of pace, that at times was exposed with El Abd back there.

• @Twizz said:
      A very tough decision but I've gone with Darius because, I believe, his presence in the team has improved the performances of Stewart & JJ plus his own commanding contributions. But it really is so close that any of those three would be worthy winners.
      Damn it, why can there only be one winner?

Same here. Darius made everybody a better player just by being on the pitch. That’s no mean feat.

• Talking about Jacobsen, he's out of contract himself isn't he?
      Couldn't find anything beyond the below.

https://www.wycombewanderers.co.uk/news/2018/june/jacobson-delighted-to-continue-chairboys-journey/

Am sure we'll have another deal there

• edited July 2020

Things to do for Wycombe, summer 2020:

1. Announce JJ
      2. Announce Bayo
      3. Announce Blooms
      4. Announce Anthony Stewart (actually, this should be #1)
      5. Shirt reveal of instantly iconic championship kit
      6. Help Neil Harman with negotiations for movie rights of 'Close Quarters'
      7. Get ready for first day of second tier season!
    • @Shev said:
      Things to do for Wycombe, summer 2020:

1. Announce JJ
      2. Announce Bayo
      3. Announce Blooms
      4. Announce Anthony Stewart (actually, this should be #1)
      5. Shirt reveal of instantly iconic championship kit
      6. Help Neil Harman with negotiations for movie rights of 'Close Quarters'
      7. Get ready for first day of second tier season!

Add an exciting signing or 2, and that'll be a superb closed season

1. Unveiling of @micra's tattoo on big screen at first home game.