Skip to content

Match day thread: Oxford (Play-off Final)

Comments

• Can I be the first to ask... when are the fixtures out?

(sorry, I'm a bit excited).

• Mawson on loan.......

• Pierre?

• I can see Pierre and Scowen back (Ainsworth's first signing, in effect, when he brought him back from Eastbourne). Stockdale likely to be signed after all the effort getting him fit, I suspect that's more likely than Ingram. I'd kill to see O'Nien back but if his extension's been triggered can't see that happening. If Bournemouth stay up we will hopefully get Ofoborh for another year. Other than that I can't see us returning to any of those we've let go.

Spare a thought for Adam el Abd - started the season as captain and ended it released by Stevenage having barely been played, watching his former team-mates go wild at Wembley.

• I would love to see Randell Williams back. I just feel he has great potential and scope for improvement, particularly under Gareth's guidance.

• I'm trying not to read too much into this, but it doesn't sound like Stocko will be staying.

• I don't think there's any other way of reading that :(

For those without Instagram, Stockdale's caption: "THE.LAST.DANCE-THE WYCOMBE WAY. Well ... what can I say to sum this up. Positive mind,a family and belief. I love you all and so proud. It’s been an absolute pleasure spending this time with you boys. Love you all."

• Jamal Blackman?

• Some of Ga's loan and permanent
    signings have been truly a cut above, i have no doubt he will make some incredible additions again.... can't wait for the new kit release ?

• Gareth: “I got home at 6am, went into my 13-year-old son’s bedroom and put my medal round his neck. The smile on his face said it all.”

• One thing I do think, is that Gape will be wearing the armband within a couple of years, if we can keep hold of him. The youngest general, and a perfect captain-in-waiting.

• Would be interesting t be a fly on the wall at the club today.

Initially sheer elation I imagine but sooner or later thoughts will turn to the magnitude of the decisions which now await

I believe we get £10m or so of TV money next season - huge money for us. But obviously the standard of opposition is a step change on.

Which players to keep - which to let go
    How much of that money to spend on wages and transfer fees (?) of new players
    What to do about existing kept players (they deserve to share in the financial windfall but I think you can only do that by extending contracts)
    Will the higher profile mean bigger clubs come for our better players (Stewart is out of contract I believe - he can have done himself no harm with his performance last night)
    Surely Gareth will want to lead the club in the Champ next season but at the same time surely his star will never have been so high.l

Lovely problems to have but quite daunting nonetheless.

• Reading through the Oxford forum a fair number of them seem wound up about the attention Bayo gets in the media and the size of his ego as they see it, especially last night after "coming on and doing nothing" and how that must rankle with the players who put such a shift in.

Just goes to show how little they understand about what has made this squad the success it is.

• edited July 2020

Another point about last night, I think our cardboard fans were in the "lucky end". In our four Wembley appearances in my lifetime we have won the three lucky end days and lost the unlucky end day. Just a superstition but I know which end I'll prefer for the Championship playoff final ;)

• How about Ibe as a left field signing?

Career has gone off the rails a bit but there's an incredible talent in there.

What better place to rebuild from?
    50k a week down to say 3k a week might feel a huge step down, but at the moment he's on 0 a week. So who knows.

• @Shev said:
    One thing I do think, is that Gape will be wearing the armband within a couple of years, if we can keep hold of him. The youngest general, and a perfect captain-in-waiting.

At least as a championship club any fees for our players will increase a fair chunk.

Any one wanting Gape or Stewart will have to produce some big cash (presuming we've arranged Stewart a contract and or signed him up already!)

Samuel perhaps doesn't have the goals to be a target but you never know.

Fred is probably the star man but hasn't been able to show it with his injury hit season

• I can see Scowen, O'Nien and McCarthy all coming back. The key reason being that they would want to- that's the Ainsworth effect

• @Malone said:
    How about Ibe as a left field signing?

Career has gone off the rails a bit but there's an incredible talent in there.

What better place to rebuild from?
    50k a week down to say 3k a week might feel a huge step down, but at the moment he's on 0 a week. So who knows.

Not sure we want a Big Billy Bollocks disrupting the tightness of the squad. With all the millions he has earned would he be hungry enough to knuckle down again at Wycombe.

• All good suggestions but that might not leave enough room for Eberechi Eze to return

• @mooneyman One thing I’m sure of is that no one would be a better judge of whether that were the case than Gaz (and Dobbo).

• @DJWYC14 said:
    I can see Scowen, O'Nien and McCarthy all coming back. The key reason being that they would want to- that's the Ainsworth effect

My thoughts exactly.... maybe mawson on a loan too

• @OakwoodExile said:
    @mooneyman One thing I’m sure of is that no one would be a better judge of whether that were the case than Gaz (and Dobbo).

Agreed

• Another though I've had is that last night was the moment when the mantle of greatest ever Wycombe manager definitively passed from St. Martin to Gaz. And how great and appropriate it was to have the handover carried out on the Quest highlights show by St. Martin himself.

• edited July 2020

I hope we can bring in a seasoned veteran or two. Col U had Teddy Sheringham when they were in the Champ, ffs. Maybe not quite that extreme - he was 41 - or such a household name, but I think it's a beneficial thing to have.

• @Krisi said:
    All good suggestions but that might not leave enough room for Eberechi Eze to return

I think one thing we can be certain of is Eze won't be back unless he moves to Spurs and they then send him back out on loan - though if that's the case I still can't see him not staying at QPR

• £10 million? For Gareth and Dobbo? Is that right. I'm feeling more confident already. With their spotting skills we could afford another 20 players! :smile: You're right @MindlessDrugHoover when you saw the likes of Smyth, Scotty and Phillips all over Bayo, as well as the on field boys, the idea that he is some sort of ego maniac is just crazy. Bayo was also in the face of Stewart telling him how good he was and so on. Looking at some of the other forums, the amount of making up your own facts and 'clear' injustices is staggering. Sunderland for example seem to think they were going to get promoted when they were only a point a two ahead of us and we had games in hand and some winnable games to come. But we could not have done it? I still think we would have made the play-offs but even if not we took the chance we were given and beat two 'better footballing sides' over three games. They won't like our shithousery in the Championship of course, but every team will know what they are going to get and easily beat us, won't they? Won't they?

• I agree, @Wendoverman - a lot of lazy narratives, such as us being in free fall, despite dropping out of the top six for the first time owing to everyone else playing an extra game or two. Like I have said before, these sour grapes fans can take our 4-1 at Fleetwood as our game in hand, and stuff it.

• A lot of criticism we’ve received from our (former wha-hey!) L1 rivals betrays a complete lack of understanding about what makes us tick.

• @WildWestFC said:
    Another point about last night, I think our cardboard fans were in the "lucky end". In our four Wembley appearances in my lifetime we have won the three lucky end days and lost the unlucky end day. Just a superstition but I know which end I'll prefer for the Championship playoff final ;)

I must admit when I heard we had the west end of the stadium my hopes did rise.