Skip to content

Match day thread: Oxford (Play-off Final)

Comments

• edited July 2020

We're in the 3rd round of the FA Cup!!

• @drcongo said:
    We're not the first small club to make it from non-league to the Championship, but pretty sure we're the first to not just buy it.

Burton weren't bankrolled tbf - had a little bit of money but didn't do a Yeovil.

• Really? They were the main ones I was thinking about. I'm probably wrong though, it's my factory setting.

• It's a good point. We're not the first small parochial club to reach the Championship against all odds.

For instance, next season we'll be playing......[checks notes]........ Reading

• @drcongo said:
    Really? They were the main ones I was thinking about. I'm probably wrong though, it's my factory setting.

I'm pretty sure. I remember their owner being very strict on only spending what came in anyway, I'll have to try and dig out the interview I read. Yeovil, on the other hand, we'll just look where they are now.

• Did Colchester spend loads when they went up?

I don't remember them doing that but I could be wrong

• Just seen this on Twitter so it might not be fully accurate but on the topic of spending...

11 Championship clubs have spent more on 1 player this season than we have spent on players in our entire history!

Earning the right to play against teams with such a difference in resources is an incredible achievement

• That's some list @FmG. Those of us who started supporting the club in the early 90s are so lucky. We've seen some incredible things in a short space of time.

• @bicester_blue said:
    A number of comments on the OUFC forum rightly picked up on Browne not chasing Grimmer down before Allsop launched the ball that led to the penalty. All players make mistakes, but there is no way Gareth would tolerate players coasting like that. The last WW player like that that springs to mind was Jason Banton, and he was gone inside 6 months.

Fred was allegedly pushed out by Millwall for being lazy defensively. To be honest we saw a bit of that in his first loan spell (eg the end of the Plymouth game). What a contrast to the effort he put in last night, both in attack but less glamorously in defence. Real tribute to GA man-management and the lad himself for sorting this aspect of his game.

He is undoubtedly at least a championship player - isnt it lovely that next year at least he can achieve that with us. I suspect he will shine

• @drcongo said:
    We're not the first small club to make it from non-league to the Championship, but pretty sure we're the first to not just buy it.

Burton and Yeovil?

• @bigred87 said:
    Got my season ticket last night, am i correct in thinking i use my phone to scan in now?

I thought sales were supposed to end at midday yesterday?

• Some interesting stats from the play-offs games.

Average possession - 27%
    Total Shots - 27
    Total on target - 17 (63%)
    No of goals - 8 (47% of those on target)

Not pretty, but bloody effective

• @FmG said:
    I put this on another thread a while ago, and it needed updating...

2000/01 D2 – 13th FAC SF
    2001/02 D2 – 11th
    2002/03 D2 – 18th Mathematically safe with 1 game to play
    2003/04 D2 – 24th Relegated
    2004/05 L2 – 10th Play-off chance with 3 games to play
    2005/06 L2 – 6th Play-offs
    2006/07 L2 – 12th LC SF
    2007/08 L2 – 7th Play-offs
    2008/09 L2 – 3rd Promoted
    2009/10 L1 – 22nd Relegated
    2010/11 L2 – 3rd Promoted
    2011/12 L1 – 21st Relegated
    2012/13 L2 – 15th Mathematically safe with 3 games to play
    2013/14 L2 – 22nd Stayed up on last day
    2014/15 L2 – 4th Play-off final
    2015/16 L2 – 13th Play-off places with 6 matches to play
    2016/17 L2 – 9th Spurs in FAC 4R, play-off contenders on final day
    2017/18 L2 – 3rd Promoted
    2018/19 L1 – 17th Mathematically safe on last day of the season
    2019/20 L1 - PROMOTED TO THE CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

15/16 was also Aston Villa cup replay which was very exciting at the time!

• @chairboyscentral said:
    I think we're nailed on for the first game of the season as well. Friday night on Sky, just like Luton - Middlesbrough this season. Will we also do what Luton did and swap the camera position? ?

I think I’m right in saying that Sky May dictate the camera position and that we have to install electronic advertising boards. I recall a Luton supporting friend telling me it was mandatory and quite expensive. Although I suppose a long term investment if it improves our sponsorship package offerings for the future.

• @Glenactico said:

@chairboyscentral said:
    I think we're nailed on for the first game of the season as well. Friday night on Sky, just like Luton - Middlesbrough this season. Will we also do what Luton did and swap the camera position? ?

I think I’m right in saying that Sky May dictate the camera position and that we have to install electronic advertising boards. I recall a Luton supporting friend telling me it was mandatory and quite expensive. Although I suppose a long term investment if it improves our sponsorship package offerings for the future.

I think some of this was planned anyway and included in the deal with the new tech providers, people seemed to focus on the Wi-fi but there were a few other tech bits.

Undoubtedly some extra costs coming in but a few more quid from the EFL also and a platform to get more publicity and sponsorship. All those photos from last night will look great on a brochure.

Big factor will be how many fans are let in. In normal circumstances we'd expect to sell out the away end numerous times for example.

Having said that happy to enjoy the day and leave the nitty gritty for those in charge for now.

• l> @bigred87 said:

O'nien and McCarthy to return???

Can't see Millwall being as keen to do us any favours with McCarthy now we're the same division

Sunderland fans are already fuming at any idea of O Nien coming to a "Higher" club. Haha brilliant!

The truth I fear is, that he'd cost about half a million, and the jury would be massively out on him being up to the level.

• @drcongo said:

Did the old Wimbledon spend that much getting to the old First Division?

• It certainly seems that we are a national story as I am getting messages from all over the shop from people who have shown little or no interest in football or my support for Wycombe but seem enthused by the news. Might even get local support up a bit for the next term at least!

• @Malone said:

Sunderland fans are already fuming at any idea of O Nien coming to a "Higher" club. Haha brilliant!

The truth I fear is, that he'd cost about half a million, and the jury would be massively out on him being up to the level.

But we'd get a decent sell-on fee.

• edited July 2020

I generally hate transfer talk, BUT I think we ought to bring Bryn Morris back if we can afford him. Like Gaz said, there's not going to be a massive rebuild, and I can see us going after former players like him - players who we know are very good at L1 level, have age on their side and could well do a job at the level up.

• edited July 2020

As for O'Nien, I believe he's out of contract. There was talk of Sunderland triggering an extension around Christmas time, but I can't see that it was ever confirmed.

• I'd rather have Josh Scowen from Sunderland than Luke O'Nien

• If 09 is out of contract and sick of playing right back surely we’ll at least offer him something.

It’s not impossible that Bloomfield will retire is it? The pictures of him at the end last night give me goosebumps.

• @bigred87 said:
    Got my season ticket last night, am i correct in thinking i use my phone to scan in now?

Yes.

• I know everyone picks out former players as potential transfer targets - some much more realistic than others - but we've proved it works. Five of the starting 11 last night have either come back or, in Gape's case, made a loan permanent.

• @FmG said:
    I put this on another thread a while ago, and it needed updating...

2000/01 D2 – 13th FAC SF
    2001/02 D2 – 11th
    2002/03 D2 – 18th Mathematically safe with 1 game to play
    2003/04 D2 – 24th Relegated
    2004/05 L2 – 10th Play-off chance with 3 games to play
    2005/06 L2 – 6th Play-offs
    2006/07 L2 – 12th LC SF
    2007/08 L2 – 7th Play-offs
    2008/09 L2 – 3rd Promoted
    2009/10 L1 – 22nd Relegated
    2010/11 L2 – 3rd Promoted
    2011/12 L1 – 21st Relegated
    2012/13 L2 – 15th Mathematically safe with 3 games to play
    2013/14 L2 – 22nd Stayed up on last day
    2014/15 L2 – 4th Play-off final
    2015/16 L2 – 13th Play-off places with 6 matches to play
    2016/17 L2 – 9th Spurs in FAC 4R, play-off contenders on final day
    2017/18 L2 – 3rd Promoted
    2018/19 L1 – 17th Mathematically safe on last day of the season
    2019/20 L1 - PROMOTED TO THE CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

You missed out the Checkatrade semi-final too, if that shite cup is even worthy of making the list.

• I think Gaz will keep the present squad as much as he can...give the oldies the chance of a last hurrah at Championship level, but unless we sell (Stewart? Gape? SK?) for huge sums I cannot see us 'buying' anyone or paying huge salaries. Out of contact is fine but 09 is a popular player and would probably go to one of the the big (still in :smile: ) L1 teams. We are in a win-win situation...as we were this season...no-one (except richiemu, trevor and some others) expects anything, relegation battle would not be a big surprise but there's a chance we can pull together enough results and make some money to survive and rebuild. There will be some late and baffling signings and we will all think they've lost it and have no idea how to complete 'at this level' and then we go again. Simples.

• @Wendoverman said:
    I think Gaz will keep the present squad as much as he can...give the oldies the chance of a last hurrah at Championship level, but unless we sell (Stewart? Gape? SK?) for huge sums I cannot see us 'buying' anyone or paying huge salaries. Out of contact is fine but 09 is a popular player and would probably go to one of the the big (still in :smile: ) L1 teams. We are in a win-win situation...as we were this season...no-one (except richiemu, trevor and some others) expects anything, relegation battle would not be a big surprise but there's a chance we can pull together enough results and make some money to survive and rebuild. There will be some late and baffling signings and we will all think they've lost it and have no idea how to complete 'at this level' and then we go again. Simples.

Absolutely, a couple of free signings plus 2 or 3 loans from Premier Under 23 teams and we will have a team
    We all accept next season will be a 'battling against relegation' campaign but with Gaz and Co you just never know.
    What a year in the Championship (still finding that one very odd to type) will do is set up the club financially for a good number of years.
    I suspect everyone from this year will be offered one more year (or beyond) so they can at least experience the championship. Players like Blooms deserve that simply for the number of years service they have put in.
    If we are to bring a number of new faces in then the current crop of "generals" will need to be about to ensure what has been created over the last few seasons stays, and even grows.

As I read on another topic its a great shame that Al the Pal isn't still with us to witness last night. He is, and always will be in spirit - well Stella

• I can only think of three, possibly four, who will leave - down a couple from what I thought a few weeks ago.

• Sunderland have triggered a one year extension for Onien, their club appears to be in continuous turmoil with their ownership.

Go get him.