Skip to content

Match day thread: Oxford (Play-off Final)

Comments

• Were Oxford too yellow to wear their Home Kit last night. It did allow us to give them a Whitewash COYB's What a great performance.

• They wore a virtual copy of the PNE shirts from 93.

Maybe one of the their players will go on to be a Wycombe managerial legend in a few years? :)

• PNE for the PNL

• Any Oxford players wanting to play in the Championship might consider signing for Wycombe.

Any of that lot last night you’d like to see in the blue quarters?

• The Wokingham lad perhaps. Rob Dickie.

• @Stewie63 said:
    Any Oxford players wanting to play in the Championship might consider signing for Wycombe.

Any of that lot last night you’d like to see in the blue quarters?

Matty Taylor looks a good option. On any other night he would have scored a couple, but came up against Stewart having the game of his life.

• edited July 2020

Anyone else get play off final flashbacks last night. I had two.

Firstly when Wheeler broke free late on. In my head he didn't run on and fire across the keeper. He slowed, cut inside and put it in the corner Davie Carroll esque.

Secondly on Nick Freemans late late run down the left wing I had a horrible vision of Matt Bloomfield against Southend. Hoof it on the stand I shouted both times. Freeman got the throw in and I breathed again.

• No EFL Trophy either, and apparently we get these things called international breaks?

• @chairboyscentral said:
    No EFL Trophy either, and apparently we get these things called international breaks?

We can get invited to join the EFL Trophy so never say never. Guess we'd need that under 23 squad up and running but that's happening now isn't it?

• Honorable mention for Jason McCarthy who played a big part in getting us to Wembley!

• @chairboyscentral Aaaaaargh ... you had to go and ruin it for me! We have international breaks - and not just those inflicted by the likes of Ipswich and Sunderland on a whim.

• I guessing international football will be later back than league stuff so we might be ok for a bit

• @our_frank said:
    @chairboyscentral Aaaaaargh ... you had to go and ruin it for me! We have international breaks - and not just those inflicted by the likes of Ipswich and Sunderland on a whim.

But at least they're defined. You don't have the bad luck and limbo of who ever you're facing rustling up some u21 players for some lowly nation.

• @floyd said:
    Gale signed a new contract just before the lock-down.

Totally missed this?!
    Any details? @chairboyscentral

• @malone Two years if I remember right

@malone Two years if I remember right

Spot on
    https://www.wycombewanderers.co.uk/news/2020/march/dominic-gape-signs-new-contract/

Can't believe i missed it at the time!!

• When I started supporting Wycombe, in the Isthmian League, Nottingham Forest were European champions. Two years later Aston Villa were champions of Europe. It's entirely possible we'll be in the same league as both of them next season. Unbelievable.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    When I started supporting Wycombe, in the Isthmian League, Nottingham Forest were European champions. Two years later Aston Villa were champions of Europe. It's entirely possible we'll be in the same league as both of them next season. Unbelievable.

That's the best one of these realisations yet.

Just scrolling through that division is all manner of fairly recent premier league teams.

• Some if us will have some tricky decisions to make about away games @mindlessdrughoover if Forest dont make and win the playoffs!

• O'nien and McCarthy to return???

• @Wendoverman said:
    Some if us will have some tricky decisions to make about away games @mindlessdrughoover if Forest dont make and win the playoffs!

Let's hope there is any decision to make and grounds open up.
    A season of home fans only and limited numbers will be cruel

• Got my season ticket last night, am i correct in thinking i use my phone to scan in now?

• I think we're nailed on for the first game of the season as well. Friday night on Sky, just like Luton - Middlesbrough this season. Will we also do what Luton did and swap the camera position? ?

• Still in a dream from last night, will need to watch the game again to make it real. What a club.....
    .....when does the season start?

I think we're nailed on for the first game of the season as well. Friday night on Sky, just like Luton - Middlesbrough this season. Will we also do what Luton did and swap the camera position? ?

Lets hope it isn't Coventry. Or I suppose - if they could fix the fixtures it would be Coventry.

• I put this on another thread a while ago, and it needed updating...

2000/01 D2 – 13th FAC SF
    2001/02 D2 – 11th
    2002/03 D2 – 18th Mathematically safe with 1 game to play
    2003/04 D2 – 24th Relegated
    2004/05 L2 – 10th Play-off chance with 3 games to play
    2005/06 L2 – 6th Play-offs
    2006/07 L2 – 12th LC SF
    2007/08 L2 – 7th Play-offs
    2008/09 L2 – 3rd Promoted
    2009/10 L1 – 22nd Relegated
    2010/11 L2 – 3rd Promoted
    2011/12 L1 – 21st Relegated
    2012/13 L2 – 15th Mathematically safe with 3 games to play
    2013/14 L2 – 22nd Stayed up on last day
    2014/15 L2 – 4th Play-off final
    2015/16 L2 – 13th Play-off places with 6 matches to play
    2016/17 L2 – 9th Spurs in FAC 4R, play-off contenders on final day
    2017/18 L2 – 3rd Promoted
    2018/19 L1 – 17th Mathematically safe on last day of the season
    2019/20 L1 - PROMOTED TO THE CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

• Just watching the highlights again.

Does the penalty incident count as a fast break?

• A number of comments on the OUFC forum rightly picked up on Browne not chasing Grimmer down before Allsop launched the ball that led to the penalty. All players make mistakes, but there is no way Gareth would tolerate players coasting like that. The last WW player like that that springs to mind was Jason Banton, and he was gone inside 6 months.

• @FmG said:
    I put this on another thread a while ago, and it needed updating...

2000/01 D2 – 13th FAC SF
    2001/02 D2 – 11th
    2002/03 D2 – 18th Mathematically safe with 1 game to play
    2003/04 D2 – 24th Relegated
    2004/05 L2 – 10th Play-off chance with 3 games to play
    2005/06 L2 – 6th Play-offs
    2006/07 L2 – 12th LC SF
    2007/08 L2 – 7th Play-offs
    2008/09 L2 – 3rd Promoted
    2009/10 L1 – 22nd Relegated
    2010/11 L2 – 3rd Promoted
    2011/12 L1 – 21st Relegated
    2012/13 L2 – 15th Mathematically safe with 3 games to play
    2013/14 L2 – 22nd Stayed up on last day
    2014/15 L2 – 4th Play-off final
    2015/16 L2 – 13th Play-off places with 6 matches to play
    2016/17 L2 – 9th Spurs in FAC 4R, play-off contenders on final day
    2017/18 L2 – 3rd Promoted
    2018/19 L1 – 17th Mathematically safe on last day of the season
    2019/20 L1 - PROMOTED TO THE CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

Was explaining this to someone this morning. Is there another club who can compare to this level of interest and excitement each season. We are very, very lucky.

• We're not the first small club to make it from non-league to the Championship, but pretty sure we're the first to not just buy it.