Skip to content

Match day thread: Oxford (Play-off Final)

Comments

• @floyd said:

@Malone said:
    I did enjoy this from one Ox fan. Brave facing it!

"They’re going to Millwall and Wigan. We’re going to Sunderland and Ipswich"

Wigan would need a miracle to stay up wouldn’t they?

Not sure what the state of play is with them and a points deduction?
    They're 9 points clear of 3rd bottom at the moment, is it a 12 point hit?

• Yeh, 12 deducted this season if they’re not in the bottom three at the end of the season, 12 deducted next season if they are. Not impossible they’ll stay up I suppose, especially with the added incentive of playing us if they do.

• I’m only halfway home. Just stopped at the services to catch up. Pretty certain this is not a dream now!

• @floyd said:
    Yeh, 12 deducted this season if they’re not in the bottom three at the end of the season, 12 deducted next season if they are. Not impossible they’ll stay up I suppose, especially with the added incentive of playing us if they do.

They must thank their lucky stars they've just about stayed clear of bottom 3 in their own right, as a relegation, then -12 is pretty cruel.

• What an astonishing achievement.

I hope that whenever we’re able to do so reasonably safely, the players and coaching staff are given the opportunity to take a much deserved lap of honour with the trophy. It might feel a bit odd several months down the line, especially if it comes after a defeat next season or something, but when the time is right we need to make time to celebrate such an amazing accomplishment properly.

• Some way from Loakes Park in the late 70s. The long round trips to home games, the wife suggesting we should support Colchester because they're nearer, the football education WW have given my 3 youths. Feeling incredibly happy tonight, and so fortunate to be a Wanderers fan ?

• Tried sleeping. That ain’t happening for a while. Beyond euphoria.

• I hate singling out players, but I can't get over how epic of a performance that was from Anthony Stewart.

• Just re-watched that Bayo interview, hilarious stuff, for the people at the back who didn't hear it - Wycombe in the championship!

• That clip has had over 1M views already...

• The interviews on Quest are worth watching, a little more subdued but same sentiment. Sounds like, from what GA said, we'll possible see all (?) of that squad of players in The Championship next year.
    That really would be something to behold.

• Also MON officially crowns GA as the best Wycombe manager ever.

• The word "unbelievable" seems to be a common theme in social media posts and messages I've had from other fans. It's scarcely creditable even now, though Wycombe Wanderers Football Club are in the 2nd Division (or 'Championship' if you must).

I think this is the moment that Gareth Ainsworth has overtaken Martin O'Neill as our greatest manager. That squad had no right to achieve a fraction of what it has this year, a genuine football gravity-defying miracle that ultimately comes down to his outstanding leadership of the club.

I hope Gasroomers all over the world celebrate and bask in this glorious moment, it's absolutely unbelievable

• I just can't believe it. It's not even close to sinking in yet. I'm not sure there are words to describe this. Won't be sleeping tonight. Soon it might sink in that WE ARE IN THE CHAMPIONSHIP!

• @Twizz said:
    The interviews on Quest are worth watching, a little more subdued but same sentiment. Sounds like, from what GA said, we'll possible see all (?) of that squad of players in The Championship next year.
    That really would be something to behold.

I had thought Pattinson and Sido would definitely be out, but Gaz showed big faith in the former in the playoffs so he surely has every chance of staying now.

Hopefully news on Gape, Stewart and Bayo contracts come out soon.
    Can't see Bayo wanting to retire even with this as a superb high.

• I would be amazed if bigger clubs aren't enquiring about Stewart after that. PLEASE can we keep hold of him ?

• What a team, what a management team...you have made our year! Cardiff; Sheffield Wednesday; Derby County...Wayne Rooney at Adams Park...that’s worth a season ticket surely? ‘Football...bloody hell‘ as Sir Alex told us.

• Was thinking it would be romantic if we played Peterborough in the third round of the cup next season but then I got worried it would derail their promotion bid but then I remembered they'd already be up in January because they'd have won every game and got a 12 point vengeance bonus

• Gale signed a new contract just before the lock-down.

• I know Rocky takes some stick but he has been great in these three games and deserves some credit tonight.

• I think it’s going to take about a month for my brain to process the magnitude of this achievement. What a team. What a manager. We’re in the Championship!!! OMG.
    Stewart and Grimmer - superb performances. JJ - penalty down the middle. Balls of steel. Also, what a piss take. ?
    To do it against Oxford as well. So, so sweet.
    So happy. Very drunk. ??

• Some of the players have recorded footage of their post match celebrations on the pitch onto instagram. It's a great insight that wouldn't have been available in previous generations. I don't think you need an instagram account to watch but even if you do it's well worth signing up just to watch the footage:

Darius Charles (16 mins)
    https://www.instagram.com/tv/CCmMSSBJBQG/

Jacob Gardiner-Smith (7 mins)
    https://www.instagram.com/tv/CCmN2Y6Jbuv/

There's some others where you have to watch their 'stories' to get the full behind the scenes access. These are only available for 24 hours so will be gone tomorrow evening. I don't know a way to save or link them, but highlights are Nick Freeman, Jacob Gardiner-Smith and Anthony Stewart's personal pages.

• What a day. Annoyingly, one of my staff scheduled a zoom meeting for the final 30 minutes of the game. I turned the video feature off, and barely took part as my eyes were fixed totally on the TV.

• @drcongo said:
    I'd love to see one of @chairboyscentral's average position maps for this game, it took me ages to work out what was going on at right-back with Wheeler there sometimes and Grimmer there others. Eventually worked out that Grimmer was man marking Browne and was basically tied to him with a very short string. I think Grimmer and Wheeler both deserve a special mention for their performances completely nullifying Oxford's left wing. If Karl Robinson was that good a manager he'd have just swapped the wingers over.

It was very similar on the other side with JJ basically man marking Henry even when he came in central and Fred dropping in as a wing-back to cover Long's forward runs just like Wheeler did for Ruffels.

Tactically spot on.

• Just thought of something else.. . Were in the 3rd round of the FA cup !

• I had the strangest dream last night...