Skip to content

Non Striking Strikers

Its amazing we are second in the league but once again our league position is due to a great defence and goals from elsewhere in the team apart from the front men. We now have three non-scoring strikers in the squad and I know Hayes is now being spoken about as the answer lets not forget some were calling for him to be dropped prior to his injury. Holloway is the player he started last season and not the player that finished last season. Ogwu looks ok as a 3rd option but I am not sure he will ever be considered prolific and alongside Holloway does not work. Thompson could be an option with Banton moving wide but GA does not seem convinced by our marquee signing yet.
Don't get me wrong its great to be where we are considering but with 30 games plus of the season to go we do need at least one striker to start getting some consistent form or we get a loanee in.

Comments

• Marquee signing ??? Jason Banton ??? That comment is an absolute joke he is absolutely useless. Id rather we brought Paris Cowan Hall back on loan which has been muted as he is not in Neil Harris plans.

• As far as i can tell we are still in financial difficulty, still by all accounts have one of the lowest player budgets in the league and yet remarkably are still in the top two, way above where we have any right to expect to be. I am sure GA would love a 20 goal a season man - sadly they are not easy to find and even harder to afford. Remember if we finish anywhere in the top half it would be an excellent achievement. We massively over- acheived last season and have started the same way. That however should not fairly become the benchmark against how this season should be judged.

• Think a good partnership up front is needed more than anything,Hayes seemed to lead the youngsters well. Really miss Hayes let's hope he recovers asap!

• Paris Cowan Hall would be very welcome back by me, Thoughts ????

• Hayes is vital for us so we need him back fit soon. We had the same problem scoring goals for a while last season as well while Hayes was out injured and we rarely scored more than 1 goal in a game while he was out injured. He wasn't on form at the start of this season maybe the injury was holding him back.

• I am completely confused by the formation and would stick Thompson in the middle myself. Holloway has an excellent touch, hangs onto the ball under pressure, is able to pass but never seems to get the ball back once he's run on. Not sure about Ogwu...he just seems like a big bloke who runs at people with no end product.

• Thompson in the middle as in up-front rather than his present position of striker/winger/defender at different points of the game!

• @Wendoverman said:
    I am completely confused by the formation and would stick Thompson in the middle myself. Holloway has an excellent touch, hangs onto the ball under pressure, is able to pass but never seems to get the ball back once he's run on. Not sure about Ogwu...he just seems like a big bloke who runs at people with no end product.

My point exactly!

• Thompson has scored a couple of decent goals and looks dangerous when played as part of a front two.i wouldn't give him too much stick. Ugwu and holloway don't look good together but have ability when paired with an alternative. I think everyone agrees that Hayes knits the attack together and is a big loss.

• I feel Ugwu and Banton are big disappointments thus far. Hopefully they will prove me wrong.

• I think some are expecting a bit much from Banton and Ugwu. Both are young and neither have been established game changers at prior clubs. I think they need some more time.
    I feel Thommo should be our main central striker at the moment. He can and should score goals but being asked to track back and wide is blunting him. The penalty miss didn't help his confidence I'm sure.
    Holloway is the big worry for me. Not sure what is happening with him this season. He's a shadow of the player he was late on last season and I'm not sure how much is system, injury or something else.
    One thing to note though is when you look at the top goalscorer lists not many are looking at hitting 20 goals plus this season. I'd prefer a team approach to scoring goals rather than rely on one man.

• @Right_in_the_Middle Holloway was a nightmare for defenders at the end of last season and if he can recapture that form we'll be laughing. The good news is he played well on Tuesday night.

• I think Thommo as main striker with Holloway and/or Ugwu...seeing him defending was depressing as when we did get the ball out it seemed there was no-one to aim for...

• Thompson has a real knack at getting past the last defender and creating one v one opportunities. He can't do that from the halfway line.

He suffers in a 433 as he is sucked back too far, unless playing with Hayes, who can fill that role.

Thus, 433 with Thompson/Hayes/HollowayORUgwu, or 422 with Thompson/ANOther would work best.

• Hi folks, I'm back.

Had a week sabiticol from football forums due to sulking and frustration.

The Gas match said it all for me, we do not pocess any quality of service to our "non striking strikers". The tidbit of service to whoever is upfront is woeful.

Bodin and Easter had quality through balls after quality to score goals, whereas Holloway had to attack from his own half, to put a excellent ball through to Kretch, who missed the goals by a country mile.

Wouldn't it be nice if this was replicated and our midfield do the same as did the Gas midfield for their attackers.

We were lucky it wasn't 4 or 5 nil. GA gave quite a few players opportunities to say "Hey Gaz" look at me but they fluffed it.

Until we get an artful dodger midfield, similar traits to Saunders, I can't see this improving, only bright light is when Hayes returns fully fit to knit midfield with our attackers along with Harriman we may see a difference.

Yes, we our 2nd in the league, but don't be fooled by our current position, because we are not playing with any style or swagger to dominate and win games out right.

I sincerely hope this is just a dip and Hayes returns to bolster our attacking options.

We got a nice few days off, so start gelling, passing and learn each others games lads pronto as the pitches will get heavier and suspensions and injuries take their toll.