Skip to content

35 years since Live Aid today

An event which took place at Wembley Stadium and opened with Rockin' All Over the World

The stars are aligned

Comments

• We’re you not tempted to post that in the Tenuous Reasons thread @eric_plant ?
    I think your thread title should read “35 Years Today Since Live Aid”. Call me old-fashioned but I’ve always been a proponent of time-manner-place !

• Probably concentrate on we're/were first

• Howard Jones played that day, its written the stars !!

• There is a Howard Jones flag behind the goal.

• I know we remember Queen and Bowie and U2 and Phil Collins, but it was sobering to think Nik Kershaw and Howard Jones were so famous they got a slot that day!

• @micra said:
    We’re you not tempted to post that in the Tenuous Reasons thread @eric_plant ?
    I think your thread title should read “35 Years Today Since Live Aid”. Call me old-fashioned but I’ve always been a proponent of time-manner-place !

Ha, good spot @eric_plant !

• Freddie to star?

• Bumped into me barber at the Morrisons checkout. Quoted double for my curly mop. I was just starting to say I’m doffing ya twenty anyway when he said “only joking”. I’ll ignore him.

• Thought I would revive a music thread by asking a question about a local band who I had never heard of prior to lockdown when I went down a rabbit hole of new music.

They were called 'East Village' and were from the bustling metropolis of Princes Risborough. I was curious to know if anyone on this board knew them / knew of them?

Their album 'Drop Out' is a gem.

• What era was this? I was attending a huge amount of gigs 75-90 I don't recall East Village.

• @Wheresthechips said:
    Thought I would revive a music thread by asking a question about a local band who I had never heard of prior to lockdown when I went down a rabbit hole of new music.

They were called 'East Village' and were from the bustling metropolis of Princes Risborough. I was curious to know if anyone on this board knew them / knew of them?

Their album 'Drop Out' is a gem.

Yup, they supported the Weather Prophets at the Nags Head 4th May 1988.

• East Village were previously known as Episode Four. I’ve got their old Strike Up Matches EP, which quite often sells for silly money.

https://gripsweat.com/item/202059737465/episode-four-strike-up-matches-ep-12-vinyl-super-rare

I think I bought it for £2 when it came out at the old BFP offices in Castle Street. And the only other record I bought there was the legendary Wycombe Compilation Album.

Martin Kelly (bass player) ran Heavenly Records and is married to St Etienne’s Sarah Cracknell. John Wood (guitarist) has been seen at Adams Park in the past too.

Drop Out is superb, there was also a compilation reissue called Hot Rod Hotel which is worth seeking out.

• Weren’t Tiger the most successful band out of Princes Risborough?

• Nigel Harrison, bass player with Blondie, was from Princes Risborough.

• Was he working at Molins when he was recruited ? He co wrote 'One way' and 'Union City Blues', but it didnt end amicably with Harrison filing lawsuits after he had left Blondie .

• Rizzy and its surrounding area is a hotbed for stars and celebs these days, Jay Kay, Sarah Harding,David Jason,Suzanne Shaw and Stuart Pearce all reside there. It even has a Trendy wine bar !! A far cry from the days that Rizzy's claim to fame was allegedly having the highest average age of its populace, outside of coastal towns.

• @peterparrotface said:
    Weren’t Tiger the most successful band out of Princes Risborough?

Tiger were brilliant. Dan the lead singer now makes music under the name Magic Wizard.

• And the butchers in PR does fantastic scratchings...... Sorry that's all the PR news I have.

• I thought Suzanne Shaw lived in Tylers Green

Not that I'm a stalker or anything

• Moved recently I hear !!

• I thought David Jason was a neighbour of @Wendoverman.

• What's the little place between Wendocer and Risborogh, is it Butlers Cross? I thought that was where David Jason lived

• @micra said:
    I thought David Jason was a neighbour of @Wendoverman.

Neighbour? Nah! He lives nearer to Little Kimble, but I've seen him knocking about Wendover looking like a man who does not want to be recognised or approached.

• @HolmerBlue said:
    What's the little place between Wendocer and Risborogh, is it Butlers Cross? I thought that was where David Jason lived

Elsborogh is where Del boy lives, hence why I said Risboro's surrounding areas.

• Boris is an occasional weekend visitor

• Ellsborough that's it...though no idea where...Mrs W believes it to be on the way to the monument.

• That’s > @Wendoverman said:

@micra said:
    I thought David Jason was a neighbour of @Wendoverman.

Neighbour? Nah! He lives nearer to Little Kimble, but I've seen him knocking about Wendover looking like a man who does not want to be recognised or approached.

That’s what I recall you saying about him, word for word, on a previous occasion. I remember being disappointed but not unduly surprised.

I expect Chinnor qualifies as being in the surrounding area of “ Rizzy”, in which case my old mate Bill Giles’ name could perhaps be added. He is also making a big contribution towards maintaining the high average age of the local populace.

@ChasHarps - I have an Apple 5c iPhone with a tiny screen and literally for years I’ve been thinking how like a pop star from decades ago you looked.
    Suddenly, out of the blue (but prompted by this thread) I remembered a group called Fine Young Cannibals which I used to enjoy in my younger days and realised that the thumbnail (?) picture is of Roland Gift.
    The challenge now is for you guys to identify the handsome guy in my own profile pic.

• Roger Whittaker, without doubt.

• Now why does that not surprise me - I’ve a mate who is (or was) a dead spit of Kenny Rogers and whenever we meet on the jazz circuit those are the names we use. So much so that I have a helluva job trying to remember his real name (and no doubt vice versa but I’ve never asked him). Also at jazz gatherings a cockney acquaintance always greets me with a loud shout of ‘hey, Wycombe!’. A Hammers fan.

Don’t want to raise Monsoon from the dead with a resumption of his fabled jazz piss takes.

• @micra that you can remember my greatest hits word for word is very touching. And as for the Jazz Circuit. Nice!