Skip to content

Bayo abused by a Fleetwood "representative"

Comments

• Don't know what you mean by "flagging".

• edited July 2020

@HCblue said:
    Don't know what you mean by "flagging".

As in sharing in this forum so others can read! Disgusting that Bayo was subjected to this by a Fleetwood official.

• You've already shared it.

• @HCblue said:
    You've already shared it.

Well, apologies for adding a sentence - not entirely sure what point you're making, as I wasn't making one of my own.

• When I wrote that I was unsure what you meant by "flagging" I meant to indicate that I was unsure what you meant by "flagging". This was my point.

• Shocking stuff.

Well done Bayo for calling it out and for eloquently explaining why it hurts.

• @HCblue said:
    When I wrote that I was unsure what you meant by "flagging" I meant to indicate that I was unsure what you meant by "flagging". This was my point.

Gotcha. Lost in translation.

• Thanks @Brownie, I hadn’t seen this.

• @Brownie said:

@HCblue said:
    When I wrote that I was unsure what you meant by "flagging" I meant to indicate that I was unsure what you meant by "flagging". This was my point.

Gotcha. Lost in translation.

It's the curse of online communication.

• Surprised there's not more comments on this bar HC's odd hijack above.

The FB group is dreadful, many comments trying to argue there's not a possible racist connotation, and some digging out photos of white water bufflao. Just fark's sake!

• Given the current climate around racism, I would hope that the remark was more intended as a reference to Bayos size. Crass insensitivity at best though.

• Personally I am disgusted by this from an official of a football club especially after their players and officials took the knee.
    Let's hope they throw the book at him

• No way it was just about his size, they've quite deliberately picked that animal.

• When you pick an animal that is usually dark/black, and call a black player that, you're either racist, and/or an idiot of immeasurable levels.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    No way it was just about his size, they've quite deliberately picked that animal.

Well I doubt any of us could say with certainty. What is it about a water buffalo as opposed to say an elephant/whale etc for the want of a better analogy to a large animal? It's a genuine question not picking a fight or defending the comment.

• And either way - they are trying very hard to insult him. Arguing that the comment was not intended to be racist is a bit like arguing that the club you hit someome with was not supposed to have nails in it.

Bayo has been humorous and patient about fat jibes (though the fact he is actually ridiculously built rather than actually fat helps). To me, he is the last person to fail to take something in the right spirit.

Generally, calling people abusive names based on animals is likely to cross a line somewhere.

• edited July 2020

A water buffalo just seems far too specific to have been blurted out randomly out of frustration.

• Throughout history black people have been likened to animals because that dehumanises them and makes it easier to treat them appallingly.

Whether you like it or not it is always racist, and if you can't understand that you are part of the problem.

Well done to Bayo for speaking out and not putting up with this shit.

• The Facebook page has descended into a cesspit of "All Lives Matter" and "that can't possibly be racist" style comments, with one poster calling it "sledging" and others mocking Bayo taking offence. Genuinely disgusting response from some of our own so-called fans.

• I think I'd rather keep my powder dry until more is known.

• @eric_plant
    "Whether you like it or not it is always racist, and if you can't understand that you are part of the problem".
    Personally I hate that generalisation, particularly when I am trying to understand by asking genuine questions. BTW, I am 1st English born of an immigrant family, so I am well used to personal insults about my heritage thanks.

• I can understand why you hate it, but I'm afraid it doesn't make it any less accurate

• edited July 2020

@Brownie said:
    The Facebook page has descended into a cesspit of "All Lives Matter" and "that can't possibly be racist" style comments, with one poster calling it "sledging" and others mocking Bayo taking offence. Genuinely disgusting response from some of our own so-called fans.

It's the classic enfranchised group telling the historically non enfranchised group what they can or can't be offended by. A classic tenet of entrenched racism.

• So what category do I fall in to @eric_plant if you understand?

• I don't understand your question.

• Bayo is one of the nicest guys I’ve ever met in football. When people look at him they should ignore his size and the colour of his skin and just see him as a wonderful human being.

• @eric_plant said:
    I don't understand your question.

Using your quote, then you must be part of the problem!

• @eric_plant said:
    I can understand why you hate it, but I'm afraid it doesn't make it any less accurate

The argument that a person who is not sure how best to interpret a hearsay account of events and references which, I am willing to venture, no-one in this conversation has encountered before is unsure because they consciously or unconsciously support racism is not one I support.

• @HCblue said:

@eric_plant said:
    I can understand why you hate it, but I'm afraid it doesn't make it any less accurate

The argument that a person who is not sure how best to interpret a hearsay account of events and references which, I am willing to venture, no-one in this conversation has encountered before is unsure because they consciously or unconsciously support racism is not one I support.

You're having a bit of a mare on this thread.

• I think Bayo is a great guy, and a fantastic ambassador for the club. I certainly won't get on the wrong side of him, as he has a bicep bigger than the size of my head.