Skip to content

"This is the press box sir. You DO NOT CELEBRATE"

One of the greatest radio commentaries of all time

Comments

• Was that Matt at the Assam?

• nah. I cant say who it was. but it was the kassam

• I was on co commentary duties that day with Mr Catchpole. On the other side of me was BBC Oxford commentator and avid Oxford fan Jerome Sale, the man who made the comment.

When Hylton smashed it into the car park it would have taken a man with much more restraint than me to remain seated and composed..

A great day.

• @Vincey said:
    I was on co commentary duties that day with Mr Catchpole. On the other side of me was BBC Oxford commentator and avid Oxford fan Jerome Sale, the man who made the comment.

When Hylton smashed it into the car park it would have taken a man with much more restraint than me to remain seated and composed..

A great day.

So go on, what happened?

• I was in the press box when Beany scored. Definitely didn't celebrate. Not at all.

• @Lloyd2084 said:

@Vincey said:
    I was on co commentary duties that day with Mr Catchpole. On the other side of me was BBC Oxford commentator and avid Oxford fan Jerome Sale, the man who made the comment.

A great day.

So go on, what happened?

Not a lot in all honesty, I stood up and punched the air. It wasn’t in his direction or anything like that but he clearly wasn’t keen.

Not that I care - his comments on air were completely ridiculous.

COYBs!

• BBC Oxford radio was pure joy that evening. Used to have it saved but lost it now. Thank you sir

• @Vincey said:

@Lloyd2084 said:

@Vincey said:

A great day.

So go on, what happened?

Not a lot in all honesty, I stood up and punched the air. It wasn’t in his direction or anything like that but he clearly wasn’t keen.

Not that I care - his comments on air were completely ridiculous.

COYBs!

Thanks!

• Jerome Sale, what a .......... I live in the bbc Oxford region. On the local tv news he is all Sommertown suit and tie and articulate pronunciation, on local radio football commentary it’s all Blackbird Leas dropped h’s and no g’s at the end of words.
    He really annoys me as does the excellent bbc Oxford local radio coverage of the PLN, full match commentary, reporters in the crowd, phone ins, mid week analysis progs.