Skip to content

Still more pnl 'Big Club' thinking

Comments

• @eric_plant said:

@ReadingMarginalista said:
    @GrouchyGit 's nice use of the phrase "as recently as 1993" made me chuckle. Oxford United won the Milk Cup "as recently as" 1987, though unfortunately our grouchy PNL friend didn't make it to the game after having fight off some stop-motion dinosaurs with Raquel Welch on the way to Wembley.

BPNLK

1986 actually.

• Oh dear, I've messed that right up

• Any advance on 1987?

• @GrumpyGit is a username on the YellowsForum.
    I guess it's the same guy.
    On a thread on their forum they are berating a newbie for being a Wycombe supporter........funny that

• Never understood why things get so tetchy so early with opposition posters on here.

It's almost like they are troll accounts set up by regular users to annoy and provoke.

When did the last real reasonable opposition fan post on here?

• @our_frank said:
    @ChasHarps I live out towards the border with Oxfordshire, so get their telly. You'll be delighted to hear that they had an interview with Timmy, not to mention footage of him bouncing round his living room, on last night's local news.

Can I assume that whatever passes for Thames TV these days had footage of Bill Turnbull leading the chants at AP? Thought not. We can't even get on the full range of BBC 3CR channels.

Richard Branson, Timmy Mallett, Tim Henman Woody Harlleson Jim Rosenthal

• Jim Rosenthal is probably the most horrible and abusive 'famous' person I have ever met.
    Not even fit to lace the boots of the ever classy Bill Turnbull.

• Having Richard Branson as a fan isn't something to brag about

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Having Richard Branson as a fan isn't something to brag about

Has ever even been to Le Stade de Trois Cotes?

• I am disappointed, @GrouchyGit turned out just to be an Oxford fan pretending to be a Wycombe fan in order to enjoy our forum, and not a much more exotic Wycombe fan typecasting a pnl pretending to be one of us.

I suppose it was kind of them to lend us one of theirs even if it was only for a few moments.
    Still doubtless we will hear thoughtful wisdom from the supporters of the 'big club' just up the road.

• @GrouchyGit said:

@our_frank said:
    @ChasHarps I live out towards the border with Oxfordshire, so get their telly. You'll be delighted to hear that they had an interview with Timmy, not to mention footage of him bouncing round his living room, on last night's local news.

Can I assume that whatever passes for Thames TV these days had footage of Bill Turnbull leading the chants at AP? Thought not. We can't even get on the full range of BBC 3CR channels.

Did you think this set of names was going to impress anyone?!

• @GrouchyGit said:

@our_frank said:

Not sure I'd pay to see that film

• That list looks a bit Yew Tree.

• @GrouchyGit said:

@our_frank said:

This is everything I wanted from this week. Bravo!

• If we win next week it would be great to hear @bluntphil reeling off that list of fans followed by "Your boys took a hell of a beating". Of course I'm sure Richard Branson would launch a celebratory rocket or two if Oxford go up.

• @WildWestFC said:
    If we win next week it would be great to hear @bluntphil reeling off that list of fans followed by "Your boys took a hell of a beating". Of course I'm sure Richard Branson would launch a celebratory lawsuit against the NHS or two if Oxford go up.

Fixed that for you.

• Always liked Jim Rosenthal, excellent broadcaster - the Big Fight Live coverage is iconic

• His son is a much better actor though

• Met him at th cricket once, seemed like a nice bloke

• @drcongo said:
    That list looks a bit Yew Tree.

Add Glitter,Rix, JulianAllsop, and The Maxwells.
    "Club song,Should be "Tie a Yellow ribbon round operation Yew Tree !!"

• Met his son after a play in the West End he was in that we were forced to go to by our child and he was very pleasant and seemed a very nice humble lad. Play was absolutely awful though so perhaps he thought being all 'Jim Rosenthal' would be unwise! :smile:

• The weird thing is, if you boast about being a bigger club, but are in the same division as the club you are trying to insult, aren't you really just pointing out that they are much better run for their resources?

• Which is one of the aspects of our success that is not acknowledged as often as it should be @Shev.

• @ChasHarps said:

@drcongo said:
    That list looks a bit Yew Tree.

Add Glitter,Rix, JulianAllsop, and The Maxwells.
    "Club song,Should be "Tie a Yellow ribbon round operation Yew Tree !!"

Some other classic Oxford chaps

https://oxblogger.co.uk/tag/julian-alsop/

• @eric_plant said:
    Met him at th cricket once, seemed like a nice bloke

Jim is a good friend of mine and I was best man at his wedding many years ago. I’m surprised that RITM found him ‘horrible’ but I obviously don’t know his reasons for saying that.

• @glasshalffull can claim to have feet in both camps having turned out for an Oxford team at Wembley before the Milk Cup Final of 1986 and also playing for Wycombe reserves in the late 1980's.

Wish they still did these celebrity games pre-cup finals, they stopped before I became interested in football.

• Where on earth did you find that? Coincidentally, I gave the Oxford shirt I wore to Jim Rosenthal after the game. For the record, I will certainly be supporting Wycombe on Monday!

• Ah @glasshalffull be sure the sins of your past will find you out! :-)

• It was in the Oxford v QPR Milk Cup Final programme

• At least folk knew who you were Glasshalfull (commentator) (definately not in Corrie or Brookie)