Skip to content

Sky crowd noise

As someone else pointed out, when we are playing the above doesnt really matter. But it cant be hard for sky to put some crowd noise on for the final. Despite years in non league Oxford have been on sky. It would be ok for me if it was from Boca v River. Do you have enough clout here @glasshalffull?

Comments

• EA sports are providing crowd noise.

• I prefer it without the crowd noise myself

• LX1LX1
    edited July 2020

@eric_plant said:
    I prefer it without the crowd noise myself

I'm referring to the playoff final. Not your sex life mate (wink emoji)

• I'm with @eric_plant on this - hearing the subs, staff, Bill Turnbull and all going mental is somehow way more moving than 100,000 fake people.

• I’d opt to have no added ‘crowd’ noise. Keep it real!

• Due to lack of real sport I have been watching Rugby ( I’m sorry) from Australia, the added sound does make it better, you still hear all the shouts from the coaches.

• I prefer the no crowd noise option too. To be honest though the crowd noise level on Monday night was amazing considering.

I hear that at the cricket today they are piping crowd noise through the speakers on to the pitch rather than adding it to TV coverage. I had thought that was what they were doing at the football until I found the option to turn off the crowd noise.

• I find the crowd noise horribly distracting as it doesn’t really follow the game other than generally swelling noise when on the attack. There is no roar for a tough tackle or a quick change of progression. It’s weirdly soulless.

It’s the sporting equivalent of canned laughter. Sort of in the right place but obviously false.

• Hi @Lloyd2084 - excellent analogy with canned laughter.

• I liked the crowd noise initially but now I’m not sure about it. The effects need to be added more subtlety than they are at present. To answer LX1, I have no control over what is broadcast, just what is fed into my headphones. I did a game at Preston recently and the effects in my ears were so loud it sounded as though Messi had just completed his hat trick and scored the winning goal in the World Cup Final!

• For our games no noise is fine.
    For the premier games that we don't perhaps have any real stake in they just feel like utterly soulless pre season friendlies otherwise.

• @Malone said:
    For our games no noise is fine.

No change from a normal WWFC game.

• @GrouchyGit said:

@Malone said:

No change from a normal WWFC game.

Ladies and gentleman, we have our new @argylephil / @redandwhiteforever

• @GrouchyGit I see you're new here, and haven't quite grasped the fact that debate and conversation here is a little more intelligent and eloquent than on your own forums. If that's a bit too much of a stretch for you, I'm sure there's plenty of mouth breathers on Facebook for you to "banter" with.

• @Malone said:
    For the premier games that we don't perhaps have any real stake in they just feel like utterly soulless pre season friendlies otherwise.

I'd argue that is because its an utterly souless league. For me the EA Sports soundtrack makes the live match seem like a video game. We might as well have the computer produced commentators too with their generic phrases. Sorry @glasshalffull

• Have you ever done voice work for a computer game @glasshalffull?

My brain is filled with overused footie game phrases from over the years. They are quite sophisticated now, but were quite comedic in the late 90s as games struggled to find the right context for the limited quotes.

I still have Alan Green remonstrating ‘he got the man, not the ball’ in my head whenever I see a bad tackle thanks to overplaying a poor PSX game at uni!

• Since Mr.Grouchy is so keen on stating statistics, here’s the head to head record between Wycombe and Oxford: P28 Wycombe wins 10, Oxford wins 11, draws 7.
    It hardly suggests the overwhelming superiority he/she is alluding to.

• @glasshalffull - don't let facts get in the way of their views of our 'little' club.

• I hate the artificial crowd noise and after a while just tend to turn the volume off.

• Lloyd 2084, I did voice over for a Japanese video games company many years ago in a tiny studio in Reading.
    It took three days and was incredibly tedious, recording multiple versions of every scenario and speaking the name of every player in varying tones of voice.
    I remember the script called for me to say things like ‘Liverpool are in the red uniforms and Everton in the blue uniforms’. When I pointed out that it should be shirts/kit/strip rather than uniforms, the producers had to call head office in Japan to have every change verified!

• Monday night it's one team against another and one will win. I hope it's the team I support. They are the only stats that ever bother me. I fully concur with the canned laughter analogy above with regard to crowd noise.

• Stats can tell any story that fits an agenda but it’s true that Oxford have had the upper hand in the last few years (5 wins and 1 draw in last 7 games) but who cares.
    Will have no bearing on what happens Monday.

• I find the fake crowd noise incredibly annoying at times. When they have it as a background hum, it's not so bad, but at times the noise is set too high and it frequently doesn't fit in with the action on the pitch.

It may all seem rather souless without crowd noise, but that how it is!

• @glasshalffull said:
    Lloyd 2084, I did voice over for a Japanese video games company many years ago in a tiny studio in Reading.
    It took three days and was incredibly tedious, recording multiple versions of every scenario and speaking the name of every player in varying tones of voice.
    I remember the script called for me to say things like ‘Liverpool are in the red uniforms and Everton in the blue uniforms’. When I pointed out that it should be shirts/kit/strip rather than uniforms, the producers had to call head office in Japan to have every change verified!

Ha!

I spent 10 minutes whilst waiting for the cricket trying to find which game it was you recorded for, but was only successful in discovering you once commentated on Gladiators!

• Still waiting for the cricket I guess @Lloyd2084. Whatever happened to the summer?

• I suppose the answer is “cricket happened”.

• @micra said:
    Still waiting for the cricket I guess @Lloyd2084. Whatever happened to the summer?

Indeed.

The time wasn't wasted though as I had the opportunity to hear Micheal Holding and Ebony Rainford-Brent talk about their experiences of racism. They both gave very moving, passionate and persuasive accounts. It should be required viewing for those still banging on that All Lives Matter etc.

• I’ve the greatest respect for those two although I’ve heard “Mikey” a lot more than Ebony. The former seems to have been around for ever. His insights into the game and wonderful voice and personality have long been a delight. Wonder how I could get to hear their discussion?

• @micra said:
    I’ve the greatest respect for those two although I’ve heard “Mikey” a lot more than Ebony. The former seems to have been around for ever. His insights into the game and wonderful voice and personality have long been a delight. Wonder how I could get to hear their discussion?

If you got a NowTV pass to watch the footie you should be able to watch the cricket too.

It was around 11am when play was due to start.

• Thanks @Lloyd2084. I haven’t got Now TV (only heard of it recently on here when people were discussing how to watch the playoffs) but I have Sky and catchup so I will probably be able to download the “session”.