Skip to content

Still more pnl 'Big Club' thinking

Comments

• Alphabetical order I guess

• Does that mean we will have to wear the light shorts?

• Don't they do a draw to see who gets which dressing room?

• edited July 2020

@Shev said:
    Does that mean we will have to wear the light shorts?

Nope, shorts are allowed to clash. Both wore dark in the regular season game.

• Reminds me of when I forgot my pe kit and had to do it in my pants. Wouldn't get away with that these days

• So if Oxford are a big club now, does this mean they have the potential to be 133% of a big club if they ever finish their stadium?

• @Shev said:
    So if Oxford are a big club now, does this mean they have the potential to be 133% of a big club if they ever finish their stadium?

It's not theirs, they rent it! ???

• It's a 133.3 recurring issue

• @EwanHoosaami said:

@Shev said:
    So if Oxford are a big club now, does this mean they have the potential to be 133% of a big club if they ever finish their stadium?

It's not theirs, they rent it! ???

So they are actually 75% of a Big Tenant?

• 1986 Oxford 3 QPR nil

• LX1LX1
    edited July 2020

the number of stands was predicted pre.kassam

• @Malone said:

@Lloyd2084 said:
    After our promotion to the football league, we were rather patronisingly referred to as plucky non-leaguers by the pension fund embezzlers.

It seemed only fair to return the complement after they had they spent a season or two in the fifth tier.

4 seasons in non league, as recently as a decade ago.
    Three sided ground.
    Not exactly massive attendances.

Yet they oddly call us non league and constantly mock our attendances.
    Very odd.

Don’t go down that road,
    WWFC Non league as recently as 1993.
    3 sided ground, with a capacity of 12,400 - AP 9,448
    Attendances in the league. WWFC 118,581. OUFC 168,254. 43% larger.

• @OxfordBlue said:
    Does seem odd - we finished 3rd.

Placed third

• @GrouchyGit said:

@Malone said:

@Lloyd2084 said:
    After our promotion to the football league, we were rather patronisingly referred to as plucky non-leaguers by the pension fund embezzlers.

It seemed only fair to return the complement after they had they spent a season or two in the fifth tier.

Three sided ground.

Very odd.

Don’t go down that road,

I think you’ve logged into the wrong forum this morning.

• @GrouchyGit said:

@Malone said:

@Lloyd2084 said:

Three sided ground.

Very odd.

Don’t go down that road,

??????????

• Difficult to drum up the feeling to consider Oxford as true rivals as they are such an unspeakably dull club with unspeakably dull fans.

Still, difficult time for them at the moment with Ghislaine Maxwell being arrested

• Owned by Robert Maxwell. Ghislaine Maxwell on the board. Only major trophy paid for with stolen pension money. Taking to the pitch to the strains of Gary Glitter. Ladies and gentlemen: I give you Oxford United's glory years.

• @Erroll_Sims Just for a little further detail, when we first got into the league and started to play Headington Utd, they used to particularly relish singing "You'll always be non-league" at us. Strange, really, as I think most of us were very proud of our history; they were clearly ashamed of their own.

So, anyway, you can imagine that when they plummeted to the conference themselves, the PNL moniker was just too good an opportunity to miss. And it seems it's still reeling them in today ...

• Timmy Mallet's favoured league club !!

• @ChasHarps I live out towards the border with Oxfordshire, so get their telly. You'll be delighted to hear that they had an interview with Timmy, not to mention footage of him bouncing round his living room, on last night's local news.

Can I assume that whatever passes for Thames TV these days had footage of Bill Turnbull leading the chants at AP? Thought not. We can't even get on the full range of BBC 3CR channels.

• Excellent work for whoever thought of @GrouchyGit as a fake Oxford fan, pretending to be a Wycombe fan

I know that their fans are not all grouchy gits, but to pick out that name for an obvious pretend fan of our nearest rivals, to post on a thread which pokes fun at their big club mentality, using the exact tone of superiority of someone who is explaining to the benighted - brilliant, pure genius.

Please, @GrouchyGit, I respect the need to keep identities discreet, but could you post on here again, if you could find your way to post on here saying you are a genuine Wycombe fan, it will make my week.

Unless we play them in the 3rd round of the FA Cup, we won't be playing them next season, but when I next do an attendance thread for a game involving them, I will pay tribute to this piece of pure comedy by referring to them collectively as 'the grouchy gits'

Here's hoping.

• Is someone going to tell @GrouchyGit which one out of Oxford or Wycombe was most recently a non-league club or…?

• I am certainly hoping from a comment from @GrouchyGit.

• I thought @GrouchyGit's comments had as much validity as the other sniping ones.

• Now now, they did win the cup in the 1930s or whenever it> @Brownie said:

Is someone going to tell @GrouchyGit which one out of Oxford or Wycombe was most recently a non-league club or…?

And with almost two decades of difference in between

• We've got enough posters on here sniping at the team and fellow fans already...

• edited July 2020

@GrouchyGit 's nice use of the phrase "as recently as 1993" made me chuckle. Oxford United won the Milk Cup "as recently as" 1987, though unfortunately our grouchy PNL friend didn't make it to the game after having fight off some stop-motion dinosaurs with Raquel Welch on the way to Wembley.

• @ReadingMarginalista said:
    @GrouchyGit 's nice use of the phrase "as recently as 1993" made me chuckle. Oxford United won the Milk Cup "as recently as" 1987, though unfortunately our grouchy PNL friend didn't make it to the game after having fight off some stop-motion dinosaurs with Raquel Welch on the way to Wembley.

BPNLK

• Before the big bang then

• I’m afraid I don’t have BPNLK and I didn’t realise they were little Headington United as recently as 1993. Or perhaps I misread the earlier post that gave that impression.