Skip to content

New “The Generals are ready” flag

Who dreamed this one up? For those who don’t know “The Generals” is the nickname of our near-neighbours Chesham United. There’s even a pub in the middle of Chesham called “The Generals Arms”. It might not have been intentional to have the same meaning but it’s a very unfortunate oversight.

Comments

• Pipe down General Worboys !!!!

• A_Worboys. I think back in the day there was a team called Chesham Generals who may have been swallowed by Chesham United.

• Chesham Town & Chesham Generals merged in 1917 to form Chesham United but the new club has still maintained the nickname of “The Generals”.

• Gaz has been referring to his senior pros as "The Generals" for ages

Cringey as that flag may be, the context is crystal clear

• After the play-off final this appalling mis-step will be forgotten I'm sure @A_Worboys

• I'm sure emu80 has already written a stern letter to the club about it.

• @drcongo said:
    I'm sure emu80 has already written a stern letter to the club about it.

Is @A_Worboys in the selfie?

• @A_Worboys It gets worse. If you look at Chairboys Gifts, there are ROYAL BLUE t-shirts. Excess stock from Colchester? I'm writing now to demand a Public Inquiry.

• Mr W, I read your post a few times, and can't for the life of me understand what is "unfortunate" about us happening to label our key experienced guys "generals", and a local minnow club happening to have the same nickname?!

Not exactly disrespectful is it?!

• We really need to hammer down this whole military system too. My understanding is that General is the second-highest rank to Field marshal. So in theory, that makes GA the Field Marshal. But what about RC? If RC is the Field marshal, GA becomes the General, and the current "generals" become Lieutenant-generals instead. The other players become Major-generals, I suppose.

Maybe we can sort this out in tandem with the Chesham mess, if we want to be ready for Wembley.

• Luckily one of the planned sandwiches for next season 'Cheese and Ham United' were spotted early and they are to be renamed. :smile:

• The North Town Rebels flag, should be ready for Wembley !!

• @Wendoverman said:
    Luckily one of the planned sandwiches for next season 'Cheese and Ham United' were spotted early and they are to be renamed. :smile:

The Sarnies, Egham Town, are following this story closely.

• I wonder if a
    "MAXWELL and MALLET
    FREEZONE"
    flag, will be permitted at Wembley ?

• Has anyone told all of the military’s around the world that the senior rank of “general” can only be used by Chesham United as it’s their nickname?

• @Shev said:
    We really need to hammer down this whole military system too. My understanding is that General is the second-highest rank to Field marshal. So in theory, that makes GA the Field Marshal. But what about RC? If RC is the Field marshal, GA becomes the General, and the current "generals" become Lieutenant-generals instead. The other players become Major-generals, I suppose.

Maybe we can sort this out in tandem with the Chesham mess, if we want to be ready for Wembley.

That’s easy, RC must be chief of the defence staff.

Which, as that role can only be appointed by the monarch, must mean all the fans that voted for him are a bunch of Queens?

• Hopefully nothing to do with the "Royals" from down the road.....

• @Shev said:
    We really need to hammer down this whole military system too. My understanding is that General is the second-highest rank to Field marshal. So in theory, that makes GA the Field Marshal. But what about RC? If RC is the Field marshal, GA becomes the General, and the current "generals" become Lieutenant-generals instead. The other players become Major-generals, I suppose.

If this is right, it rather devalues the Captain's armband. Equivalent of giving the short leg helmet to the new cap.

• On a related note, it's worth a quick look at Oxford's Wembley merchandise. I'd have bought the t-shirt and scarf already if we had a version that looked this good.

https://www.oufc.co.uk/news/2020/july/wembley-merchandise-now-available/