Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bayo

2ยป

Comments

  • Fairly certain it was Derek Harris but my memory for names isnt what it used to be

  • I remember Derek Harris very well not least because mrs micra thought he was extremely dishy. What I remember most about him was that he had two spells at Loakes Park and when he returned for the second spell he was a dramatically improved player.

  • Yes, it was Derek Harris. Very strict. Remember him coming back to play against us in the early 80s (possibly for Hendon?) and giving him some grief, knowing we'd regret it at school the next week.

  • If you don't have a sense of humour...yes it was an appalling thing for a major Wycombe player to do, one of the 'generals' what a mis-judgement, destroys the morale of the squad just before the most important game in the season and deserves nothing more than immediate dismissal. Or it's just a Liverpool fan having a bit of a joke with his team-mates. I grew up in the 1970s and even in the Midlands it was full of Liverpool and Leeds fans. Then Brian turned up at the City Ground...

  • @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Yes, it was Derek Harris. Very strict. Remember him coming back to play against us in the early 80s (possibly for Hendon?) and giving him some grief, knowing we'd regret it at school the next week.

    Derek Harris came back to play against us for the excellent Isthmian league winning side that was assembled at Harrow Boro.
    He played full back for them, and always thought it was a mistake letting Harris go twice !!
    Other teachers were Bobby Davies at Brenchwood,Howard Kennedy at St Augustines (now St Michaels) Jock McKenzie Wellsbourne.

  • Paul Hyde is now a teacher

    Wouldn't mess about in any of his lessons!

  • @Wendoverman said:
    If you don't have a sense of humour...yes it was an appalling thing for a major Wycombe player to do, one of the 'generals' what a mis-judgement, destroys the morale of the squad just before the most important game in the season and deserves nothing more than immediate dismissal. Or it's just a Liverpool fan having a bit of a joke with his team-mates. I grew up in the 1970s and even in the Midlands it was full of Liverpool and Leeds fans. Then Brian turned up at the City Ground...

    I'll never understand those fans that are so obsessed that they have to sniff through all the social yabber of the players, but then get annoyed about bits and pieces.

    Just stay off them then.

  • @eric_plant said:
    Paul Hyde is now a teacher

    Wouldn't mess about in any of his lessons!

    Imagine the headers and volleys games at break time!

  • Schooling near Uttoxeter it was more local(ish) clubs, Port Vale and Wolves from memory

  • edited July 5

    @ChasHarps said:

    @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Yes, it was Derek Harris. Very strict. Remember him coming back to play against us in the early 80s (possibly for Hendon?) and giving him some grief, knowing we'd regret it at school the next week.

    Derek Harris came back to play against us for the excellent Isthmian league winning side that was assembled at Harrow Boro.
    He played full back for them, and always thought it was a mistake letting Harris go twice !!
    Other teachers were Bobby Davies at Brenchwood,Howard Kennedy at St Augustines (now St Michaels) Jock McKenzie Wellsbourne.

    It was indeed Derek Harris. Taught me at Challoner's in the '80s. Nothing particularly remarkable about him as a teacher in relation to the times. Remember our first ever PE lesson at the school (September 1981) when he told us that if we did not bring our kit in we'd be doing PE in our pants and vest.

  • Going back further I was at the RGS late 60s early 70s. One of the teachers there was Julian Lailey an England Amateur International who played for us for about a year. I played against him once in a masters v pupils friendly on the Rye ( no football pitches at the RGS as they played that stupid game with the oval ball ). We also had a German teacher called Gerhart Trini who was our reserve keeper for a while. Saw him play for the first team once when the legend John Maskell was injured. I seem to remember he kept a clean sheet.

  • @HCblue said:

    @ChasHarps said:

    @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Yes, it was Derek Harris. Very strict. Remember him coming back to play against us in the early 80s (possibly for Hendon?) and giving him some grief, knowing we'd regret it at school the next week.

    Derek Harris came back to play against us for the excellent Isthmian league winning side that was assembled at Harrow Boro.
    He played full back for them, and always thought it was a mistake letting Harris go twice !!
    Other teachers were Bobby Davies at Brenchwood,Howard Kennedy at St Augustines (now St Michaels) Jock McKenzie Wellsbourne.

    It was indeed Derek Harris. Taught me at Challoner's in the '80s. Nothing particularly remarkable about him as a teacher in relation to the times. Remember our first ever PE lesson at the school (September 1981) when he told us that if we did not bring our kit in we'd be doing PE in our pants and vest.

    I vaguely remember him from when I was there 78-84. Bearing in mind what went on there the teachers I only vaguely remember were most likely the better ones.

  • edited July 7

    Mr Harris taught me PE at Rading Blue Coats. I don't remember him being particularly strict. I can confirm the pants and vest thing. In fact he was a very nice bloke compared to some. He was manager at Maidenhead at the time.

  • Geoff Anthony was a Welsh amateur international also a keen cricketer with Wooburn Narkovians. I played a couple of Sunday games with him Paul Birdseye and Dave Bullock.

  • A little bit later, Andy Graham was a school teacher. Not in Bucks though. I would imagine lessons, would have be fun with him though.

2ยป
Sign In or Register to comment.