Skip to content

Articles, match reports, podcast

Comments

• Yeah, marquee signing - confusing metaphors aside, it was meant to point out that Onyedinma was our 'big' signing of the summer, but arguably Grimmer has been our best and we've coped remarkably well without him (something it's easy to forget).

Thanks for reading and for your kind comments @micra , always try to keep these things as balanced as possible

• To be fair, we only coped remarkably well without Grimmer because we signed a quite expensive temporary replacement who happened to be our marquee signing of the previous season!

I remember posts on here from the start of the season saying that we wouldn't miss Mccarthy at all and that Grimmer may even prove a better player. I'm very excited to see him back for the play-offs making up for lost time. Him and Fred back in the team is a tantalising prospect.

• I think it's meant to be 'tepee signing' due to Fred's Native American roots.

• Sorry my comment reads poorly, meant to say we've coped remarkably well without Fred for all the time he was out

• Thanks @PhilSlatter I enjoyed that!

• @micra said:

Which reminds me. We haven’t heard from @HCblue for some time. Hope all is as well as can be expected in such trying circumstances.

A typically generous characterisation.

I am well, thank you. Have been enjoying teaching from home rather a lot and taking some long walks along previously unexplored Buckinghamshire footpaths that have done wonders for the soul. I have visited here a mere handful of times in the absence of any football to think about or discuss. Thought to drop in this evening to gauge the mood ahead of tomorrow.

How are you, @micra?

• I’m fine thanks @HCblue. My wife is in the very vulnerable category. She is the right side of 80 but has been very ill with pneumonia twice in the last few years so that makes me ultra cautious about what I do. I pop out to the doctor’s surgery with our prescriptions and collect the medication from the pharmacy but, until yesterday, I haven’t been doing the main weekly shopping. Half an hour queuing in the High Street to get in to the bank followed by 45 minutes in Morrisons left me feeling exhausted but I’m sure I’ll soon get back into the swing.

Glad to hear that you’re keeping ok.

• @micra surely you must be able to get supermarket deliveries for you and your missis? Save you the terror of lock-down shopping?

• Also many pharmacies delivery prescriptions now.

During lockdown I’ve phoned the surgery, the pharmacist receive the order and then a kind soul drops it to our house.

It might be asking your pharmacist @micra to see if they have something similar.

• This link has got info on how to get support (such as picking up prescriptions or getting stuff from the supermarket) from local volunteers who will always be happy to help.

https://volunteering.royalvoluntaryservice.org.uk/nhs-volunteer-responders-portal/isolating

• @Wendoverman said:
    @micra surely you must be able to get supermarket deliveries for you and your missis? Save you the terror of lock-down shopping?

He does, it's called text Mr @EwanHoosaami on his landline, then email the list, then text the add ons to @EwanHoosaami mobile, just to add to the confusion!!

• Thanks everyone for kind comments and suggestions. Until last weekend a good friend and neighbour had been including our list (and her mother-in-law’s) in her on line delivery order to Sainsbury’s. She has been frustrated by the fact that so many items have become unavailable between placing the order and delivery the following day. Substituted items are often unacceptable. She offered to continue to order just for us but I sensed that she would be happier to revert to shopping in-store and it only took me a few minutes to decide to revert myself - my plan being to make two or even three flying visits to Morrisons every week plus the occasional even more fleeting visit to the Co-op at Cosy Corner. I probably got a bit carried away on my visit to Morrisons on Wednesday and the only reason I went to the bank was because, using the Barclays App to pay in a cheque written very faintly by a 99 year old friend, I was asked repeatedly to retake the picture and in the end had to give up.

Ready to watch Pompey v Oxford now.
    Who is the anchor lady in the studio? Liked her.

• I’d written enough @EwanHoosaami !
    You have been my trusty Morrisons man and, as you know, it’s been much appreciated.

• @micra That's Caroline Barker - does the EFL highlights show sometimes.

• I just hope Dina and Sarah, two of the Widmer End Covid19 Support Volunteers who have run a good few errands for us aren’t on the Gasroom.

• Whoops! That should have read ‘Dena’.

• Thanks for that @chairboyscentral. I was impressed.

• @micra said:
    I’d written enough @EwanHoosaami !
    You have been my trusty Morrisons man and, as you know, it’s been much appreciated.

Never a problem mate. Always happy to help again if there is a spike/another lockdown.

• @EwanHoosaami: thanks hope the beer went down well.

• @micra said:
    @EwanHoosaami: thanks hope the beer went down well.

Sorry pal, but didn't get it cool enough in time. Saving it for Monday!

• Good match report...thanks

• Nice one Phil, thank you.

• I have to comment on the footnote to the report regarding "Attendance", which is as follows- ATT: Tyson Fury, Derek Adams, Buster the Dog, a fine display of flags and Bill Turnbull on vocals.
    Just brilliant!

• New podcast...

We've re-launched (for real) The Wanderer Podcast and the latest episode is now on Spotify. It will be on other platforms in due course. Thanks for listening

https://open.spotify.com/show/6XMs2i6SFYGzqdfr7xAnXy

• edited January 2021

New podcast now available - We preview the Spurs match.

On Spotify - https://open.spotify.com/show/6XMs2i6SFYGzqdfr7xAnXy

Also on Pocket casts

We're still awaiting it going to Apple

Thanks for listening!

• Let us know when it’s on Apple @PhilSlatter