Skip to content

Match day thread: Fleetwood (First Leg)

Comments

• @chairboyscentral your game previews are an excellent mix of comment and stats. Keep it coming please!

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Swindon fan is particularly keen to see us beat Oxford in the final.

I guess because they want to rekindle their rivalry with the PNL.

• https://www.skysports.com/football/wycombe-vs-fleetwood/live/425073

In this preview piece it says: "Wycombe’s Alex Samuel scored and assisted against Fleetwood in the first leg – the first time he’s done so in a competitive game in his career in England. He last scored in consecutive appearances for the Chairboys in November 2018."

Surely Wheeler's goal can't have gone down as a Samuel assist?! Fred smashed it off his back and he didn't have a clue where the ball ended up. Although if the 'authorities' are still giving JJ's goal as a Cairns OG maybe shouldn't be too surprised...

• @Croider said:
    https://www.skysports.com/football/wycombe-vs-fleetwood/live/425073

In this preview piece it says: "Wycombe’s Alex Samuel scored and assisted against Fleetwood in the first leg – the first time he’s done so in a competitive game in his career in England. He last scored in consecutive appearances for the Chairboys in November 2018."

Surely Wheeler's goal can't have gone down as a Samuel assist?! Fred smashed it off his back and he didn't have a clue where the ball ended up. Although if the 'authorities' are still giving JJ's goal as a Cairns OG maybe shouldn't be too surprised...

That's one good point, but quite something in what looks to be about 80 pro games in England, to have not combined a goal and an assist in one game!

For some reason I get the feeling he'll be an even more effective player in the division above. Just that tiny thing about getting there first!

• Intention doesn't have a bearing on whether it's an assist - assists are slightly flawed in that sense.

It's down as an own goal because the 'keeper made a complete hash of it - it was on target but not going in without that 'assistance'. But... Remember JJ's first corner goal against Lincoln? Also an OG at first (more of one than Friday's imo) and that got overturned. It's up to the EFL to change it now.

• _ it was on target but not going in without that 'assistance'_

Surely if it was on target, then by definition it would have gone in even if the keeper hadn't flapped at it?

• It was definitely going in. It was curling straight in!

• I know the point that chairboyscentral is making, but that corner would have gone in with or without the goalkeeper’s help.

• What I mean is the 'keeper should have pushed it away but helped it in. It was a typically wicked corner from JJ and he deserves the goal, but I think that's the logic that meant it went down as an OG.

• @Croider said:
    Surely if it was on target, then by definition it would have gone in even if the keeper hadn't flapped at it?

Doesn't this imply that every shot on target should go in?

• If it is anti-football to win 4-1. I can.live with that.

• Well yes, if there's no goalie to save them or if he makes a hash of it then every shot on target would go in.

• That's the thing: the making a hash of it. Cairns got it all wrong despite how good a delivery it was. Credit JJ for making it difficult for him, but you'd expect a professional goalkeeper to keep that out.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    What I mean is the 'keeper should have pushed it away but helped it in. It was a typically wicked corner from JJ and he deserves the goal, but I think that's the logic that meant it went down as an OG.

Actually that view is totally illogical in itself. On that basis, any shot that the keeper gets his hand to, but fails to stop it going in the net, is an own goal!

• @mooneyman said:

@chairboyscentral said:
    What I mean is the 'keeper should have pushed it away but helped it in. It was a typically wicked corner from JJ and he deserves the goal, but I think that's the logic that meant it went down as an OG.

Actually that view is totally illogical in itself. On that basis, any shot that the keeper gets his hand to, but fails to stop it going in the net, is an own goal!

Not necessarily. If you try to make a save but it's too powerful for you, that's one thing, but he's pushed it into rather than away from the goal - more of a positioning issue. Again, I don't think it should go down as an OG, I can just see why it has.

• How different is this goal, from JJ's corner goal in his hattrick that originally went down as a og too?

• I think the Lincoln one hit the defender further away from the line - was going in but wasn't 'all but in'. But yeah, if that got overturned then this has to. Then again, the EFL have to make the change.

• For betting purposes any shot on target goes down as a goal to the striker of the pig's bladder

• I've seen people complaining the bookies haven't been paying out on it?

• I would like it scrapped but there's about as much chance as there is the european cup going back to.national.champions only qualifying. Money talks.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    I've seen people complaining the bookies haven't been paying out on it?

Seems unlikely as its not as if they will have massive liabilities on the market. Which bookmakers?

• SkyBet certainly aren't paying out on it. There was a special price on JJ scoring from outside the box which I've seen a fair few people bet on. SkyBet initially marked it as a winning but then took back the money. They blame Opta for putting it as an own goal. I guess they'll have to payout when it inevitably gets rightly changed to JJ's goal

• Idle thoughts as the tension builds - very much with @eric_plant in this respect - if Darius is rested, dare I say in preparation for Wembley, the thought crossed my mind that Nnamdi Ofoborh is an outside possibility for central defence. When he arrived from Bournemouth he was described (I’m fairly sure) as a central midfielder/defender. Disregarding Wikipedia (5’9”!) he has the height to play there but, unless he has been played there and impressed in training, it would probably be considered a gamble too far.

I hope the players are fairly relaxed and have their feet firmly on the ground. All GA and the Generals have to do is to remember ANR FC.

• @micra I had thought the same about Ofoborh - although I hope he starts tonight in the same role as Friday (and unleashes another thunderbolt).

• Whoops! Since posting the above I’ve found the second leg thread !
    Any offers on ANR FC?

• Why would we rest a player when we have not made the final, he will play 100 percent.
    Infact I think the team maybe the same.

• Thanks for the inside information my feathered friend!

• Richiemu is an unfailing source of reassuring insights.

• edited July 2020

As richiemu pointed out...we have to be careful because whatever team GA puts out we have to remember Fleetwood could have beaten us by six or seven last time out at AP so even though their top scorer and one of their defenders is suspended it's not all over.

• If they get a goal in the first ten we will be rocking and then say we had somebody sent off it becomes a lottery Id be careful thinking its all over !!!