Skip to content

Match day thread: Fleetwood (First Leg)

Comments

• @chairboyscentral said:
    I'm pretty sure Sido was there just in the edge of shot at the end.

Yes, definitely there.
    Not making the 20 seems more likelihood of being on his way out than being rested for Monday to me.

• /not fully fit. Was odd imo not to have more than one defensive option on the bench (although that also applies to Mascoll).

• Especially given that Phillips hasn’t always looked the most assured.

• Has any mentioned the recent unnamed positive tests in the last couple of weeks? Could explain a strange omission or two in last nights matches.

Our gulf in class between our two first choice centre backs and their back ups hasn't hit us as hard as it might considering their injury records.

Not sure if anything should be read in to Sido's absence. To be honest the thought of him in the team makes me shudder but he's the most experienced back up we have. He wasn't needed yesterday but might be on Monday. At least I can hide behind the sofa

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Has any mentioned the recent unnamed positive tests in the last couple of weeks? Could explain a strange omission or two in last nights matches.

Our gulf in class between our two first choice centre backs and their back ups hasn't hit us as hard as it might considering their injury records.

Not sure if anything should be read in to Sido's absence. To be honest the thought of him in the team makes me shudder but he's the most experienced back up we have. He wasn't needed yesterday but might be on Monday. At least I can hide behind the sofa

If Sido, who has had some superb runs of games at centre back in league 1 the last two years makes you shudder, I can only imagine how Phillips makes you feel.

• One of the people in that photo was the father of the young lad from Downey Dynamos who tragically died so young. I think it was a wonderful thing for the club to do to invite his family to this game. Anyone complaining about this should be ashamed of themselves!

• @Chickenhead said:
    One of the people in that photo was the father of the young lad from Downey Dynamos who tragically died so young. I think it was a wonderful thing for the club to do to invite his family to this game. Anyone complaining about this should be ashamed of themselves!

More top work from the club there. Great gesture.

• Sido has an erratic side to his game but he's hardly a disaster to have on the bench in a tie that we lead 4-1. Or did i miss something?

• @Wendoverman said:
    Sido has an erratic side to his game but he's hardly a disaster to have on the bench in a tie that we lead 4-1. Or did i miss something?

Could it be a contract extension couldn't be agreed?

• @ChasHarps said:
    Is Sido out of contract this summer ? may explain his omission from the squad ?

Perhaps Sido is injured? He was there last night, in the team huddle shot at the end. Strange not to have on the bench as cover across the whole back four. Fear we might have seen the last of a great character.

• @Malone said:
    If Sido, who has had some superb runs of games at centre back in league 1 the last two years makes you shudder, I can only imagine how Phillips makes you feel.

Not sure how many runs Sido has had this season but I do get more nervous every time he plays. That's just what happens.
    Giles Philips is a young lad learning the game. He's certainly no Aaron Pierre, Alfie Mawson or Steven Taylor but he deserves some slack as he learns. He's been played rarely and sometimes out of position at full back. He was harshly sent off and not featured much since.

Who would I play if Charles pulls up lame (and his movement leading to the dive was a concern)? Probably Sido but I would be nervous.

Oh for Jason McCarthy who I think is still being furloughed by his parent club.

• Judging by the figures Rob Cougig hinted at Jason Mc’s wages are alot more than the furlough payment !!!

• If we somehow get promoted, the ability to play Charles and Stewart for so many games will have gone a long way towards it.

• @Shev said:
    If we somehow get promoted, the ability to play Charles and Stewart for so many games will have gone a long way towards it.

An absolutely superb pairing. And while we've been nervous about Charles it needs to be remembered that Stewart has often spent 2-3 months injured each season - so it's superb he's lasted too.

• Was the poor woman who is the target of such pointless vitriol from a couple of gasroomers ever in charge of the shop staff? Just wondering.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Sido has an erratic side to his game but he's hardly a disaster to have on the bench in a tie that we lead 4-1. Or did i miss something?

Coventry at home (I think it was)...

Sido is one of my favourite recent players though. In the days when Hayes was in his prime for us, listening to him trying to tell Sido to get back and defend all game was entertainment value in itself. It is his unpredictability that I like about him, which isn’t necessarily an asset at the moment (but would normally have expected to see him on the bench).

Mind you we could have van Dijk alongside Stewart on Monday and I’d still be nervous.

• Although (hopefully) immaterial now, I have been rewatching the highlights of Friday's game and am struggling to understand what/who persuaded the ref to award the Fleetwood penalty. He seems, from the camera angle, to be unsighted and looked to have no interest in pointing at the spot, certainly initially. He then appears to get instruction via his earpiece and decides to award the penalty. The lino was making no sign (that I could see) to indicate an infringement. So who gave the instruction?

• @HomerLone I believe he must have had a little sleep, as he walked away, and dreamt the contact. Then he gave the penalty, it's the only thing that makes any sense ...

• My thoughts watching the replays on Sky on Friday, Ref was unsighted as lots of bodies in the way but he sees the man go down. Ball goes out but the lino does NOT signal anything and keeps his flag down by his side. The fact that the lino does not immediately signal for a goal kick could indicate to the ref, “I have seen something and you should think about what you have seen”. Lino has not seen enough to flag for the penalty himself (and they have to be brave to do that) but he is inviting the ref to have a think...the ref takes an age and then gives the pen.

Well that’s one interpretation of what I saw. Another reason the Lino might not have signaled the goal kick is if he is not sure who the ball came off last and he is waiting for the ref to give the decision.

• Yes looked like the ref was not interested.How could he be sure from his angle that it was a pen and even so from the lino view he would not be able to see what contact was made.

• It looked the slightest of touches in real time. But on replays I'm not even sure there was a touch.
    Scandlous from the ref and the sort of thing that an official should get a suspension for.
    Thank goodness it ended up having no impact.

• edited July 2020

So we blew Fleetwood away, but pundits seem to be focusing more on how they imploded. Yes, they did, but did we not force that to an extent? (Spoiler alert: Yes) Notice how we never play well either, we're only ever "effective". It's just thinly veiled snobbery. I know this shouldn't piss me off, but it's beyond ridiculous now.

• Revel in it, don't get annoyed by it

• LX1LX1
    edited July 2020

I've had friends I've not talked to for years contact me to say what a fantastic football match and achievement Friday was. One comment, "The best game in Europe since lockdown.'

• Similarly, had Fulham, Arsenal, Middlesborough, Swindon and even a couple of Oxford supporting friends say what a great game it was.

Swindon fan is particularly keen to see us beat Oxford in the final.

• @eric_plant said:
    Revel in it, don't get annoyed by it

Doing a bit of both at the moment. I want to scream from the rooftops how great this team - this club - is.

• @LX1 said:
    I've had friends I've not talked to for years contact me to say what a fantastic football match and achievement Friday was. One comment, "The best game in Europe since lockdown.'

Well that's a bit more reassuring!

• @chairboyscentral said:

@LX1 said:

Well that's a bit more reassuring!

• Same here. Arsenal supporting best friend watched it and said how sharp we looked. I told him it is still anti-football according to Oxford and Sunderland fans. His reply?

"Idiots."

• We scored one goal for every 29 passes on Friday - our average is one every 87. Again, passing: who needs it?