Skip to content

Match day thread: Fleetwood (First Leg)

Comments

• @emu80 said:
    I am very unhappy that Lisa Bowker was able to attend the game and have made my feelings known to the club in writing and also to the EFL this morning, she is not a club official in the sense of the regulations for people to attend matches, not sure if half of the people in the photo are.

Pathetic.

• It was a poor decision to post that photo in my opinion, precisely because of the reaction that it might provoke.

If you're lucky enough to have been there, savour the moment and enjoy it. No need to triumphantly post selfies for the benefit of the thousands who couldn't be there

• Also, I get the 'Up the Wyc' thing is a bit annoying, but I read someone say people were trying to 'erase our history and traditions'. Christ, because some young people say 'Up the Wyc'... it doesn't mean you can't say Chairboys. It doesn't mean the 130 year history of Wycombe doesn't exist.

It's such a pathetically small hill to die on after one of the biggest results in that history.

• Well they're obviously allowed to be there, otherwise they wouldn't be there.

Just thought it was a bit lacking in class myself. I'm probably in the minority though which is fine. And it's certainly not going to stop me enjoying what is perhaps the greatest result in the club's history

• edited July 2020

@eric_plant Oh I meant what was the issue with any of those people being there - obviously there wasn't one. I can see why the photo might rub people up the wrong way, but who can blame them for getting caught up in the excitement after no doubt a few drinks?!

• I don't blame them for that at all. I would have been exactly the same

It's just the taking of the selfie then sticking it on twitter I think was a misstep

But it's not worth losing your shit over, especially on a night like last night

• @prufrock_91 - You should know by now Richie (alias emu) gets in a very bad mood when Wycombe win.

• What sort of muppet experiences a night like that and reacts by penning a letter of complaint?

Ah yes, Richie Emu.

After weeks of lockdown, I was just delighted to watch with a small group of friends. Good luck to anyone who was there - they've put in more than most over the lockdown period (and before that).

• @emu80 said:
    I am very unhappy that Lisa Bowker was able to attend the game and have made my feelings known to the club in writing and also to the EFL this morning, she is not a club official in the sense of the regulations for people to attend matches, not sure if half of the people in the photo are.

Bore off you pathetic little man

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Oxford's Yellows Forum is frothing over with their usual drivel. Constant references to anti football. Borderline racist references to Ainsworth being a gypsy. How they wouldn't want to watch that every week. Would rather lose every week than play like that. It's like they collectively swallowed the Boys Own Bumper Book of Tedious Football Cliches.

But of course, they don't really care about Wycombe...

Supporters of a club that used to be run by Ghislaine Maxwell should think carefully before making disparaging references about others!

• @Brownie said:

@glasshalffull said:

@arnos_grove said:
    My phone was being used to connect others through Zoom and I had a long post-match drive, so it’s been a complete joy catching up with the socials this morning (apart from Matt Clarke’s sour meltdown on twitter).

Must be the first match I’ve watched in years without fiddling with my phone - plus side was that I didn’t miss a thing.

I’m certain that was a fitness thing last night. Remember being well impressed with Fleetwood at AP this season and it might explain how defeated they looked virtually from the off.

I wouldn’t go near Twitter so who is Matt Clarke and what did he say?

A series of very angry and somewhat aggressive replies to Pete Couhig, WW Trust and Matt Cecil in response to Couhig posting a full time photo of those who were there in the stands celebrating. Claiming it was naive in the face of social distancing, and created an "us vs them" culture between those who can go to games, and those who can't. Ended with him claiming it soured his night, and the drummer boy joining in by saying "come on geezer" and "let us in on Monday" to Pete before making his intentions to stand on Hill bottom Road on Monday known.

All in all, a very weird exchange.

Very strange. The guy was on a board before wasn't he? Maybe bitter not to be there?
    Then some sort of relation of his stoked it up with a thread about 20mins after the final whistle to what you can imagine was utterly incredulous fans who had just witnessed arguably our best ever league away display.

• She is not a director or sponsor and Im happy we won and Im not the Only one who is very angry she was able to attend !!!

• It's a shocker that both Pete C and Matt above have to waste their time just because one or two clown fans can find a negative in any situation.

I'm excited about a possible promotion but at the same time a bit fearful of two defeats in a row sparking up the drone army. They're always bubbling behind the scenes.

• Really dissapointing that some have found a reason to get angry after such an amazing night. Of course we'd have all loved to have been there and are jealous of those who were.

Pete Couhig can be a bit US frat at times and maybe not posting a selfie would have been a better option but he did and to be honest those who reacted come out far worst.

We're all highly strung after three months of lockdown and I for one are getting more angry more often over what is going on with our Government and leaders. Last night was a thing of joy though and the only anger that should be celebrated is that of Paddy Madden and his cartoon meltdown so quickly orchestrated by our generals on the pitch

• Unfortunate, ill-advised, maybe poor taste decision to post the photo, possibly.
    There's people spread over a few rows, several in masks so it seems not a big issue from the social distancing perspective. I don't agree it was boastful although it has clearly rubbed up those who wanted to be offended.
    The bigger issue for the chap who seems to have previous moaning at the trust from his social media seems to be that a particular trust director got the ticket. I don't know her personally but see her regularly volunteering and helping out whereas I don't recognize all the others in the photo (or him for that matter) so you could wonder why the focus is on her.
    In short though Pete Couhig is more than entitled to deal out the given tickets as he wishes and to celebrate a famous win with friends and colleagues. Raging at the club and trust is bizzare as the vast majority of posts seemed to agree.

• Re: Darius Charles - personally I think he should be rested on Monday. Sido was transformed as centre back the season before this one. Yes, he's subject to the occasional error but mostly puts in an incredible shift and if you can't play him alongside JJ, Stewart and Grimmer when holding a three goal advantage, something is very wrong. While Darius has played back to back once and probably could again, it's far more important that he plays on the 13th, should we get there. Playing two matches together so soon after coming back could jeopardise that and isn't worth the risk, in my opinion.

I would imagine we'll see a few changes on Monday. It's hard not to see Thompson starting ahead of Bloomfield. Bayo will potentially get the nod ahead of Samuel to keep their defenders occupied from the off. And I wonder if Gareth has said to Allsop and Stockdale that they'd each play for one leg and the best performance gets the nod should we reach Wembley.

• @StrongestTeam said:

The bigger issue for the chap who seems to have previous moaning at the trust from his social media seems to be that a particular trust director got the ticket. I don't know her personally but see her regularly volunteering and helping out whereas I don't recognize all the others in the photo (or him for that matter) so you could wonder why the focus is on her.

Spot on. I don't know Lisa, never met her, but she seems to have put in endless hours volunteering in recent years, so if that's her little reward, good for her, she fully deserves it. As so many others have said, on the night of one of our greatest ever triumphs, what kind of idiots waste their energy moaning about something so trivial.

• Dangerous message maybe to rotate too many to start but with 5 subs available in normal time he can start strong and still have lots of options. I don't really want to consider every possible option at this point but a strong first 45 would enable rotation.

• @StrongestTeam said:
    Dangerous message maybe to rotate too many to start but with 5 subs available in normal time he can start strong and still have lots of options. I don't really want to consider every possible option at this point but a strong first 45 would enable rotation.

I reckon this is exactly right. There is no way we want to entertain the slightest hint of complacency so I think Gareth will start with a line up very close to last night’s starting X1.

• I don't know Lisa Bowker but I understand she works very hard on behalf of the club. Good luck to her if she was there. To find something to moan about on a night like that GET A LIFE ! I had a great night at home with my other half and with my daughter on Zoom from Cambridge and a few beers. Enjoy the moment.

• We could start a completely different front three and not rally lose anything in terms of quality though couldn't we? Smyth-Bayo-Kashket.

I don't think it's a question of resting Darius, but what sort of state he'll be in after last night. I'm far from a medical expert, but i'd have thought a three month lay-off would do his condition more harm than good.

One final thought about last night. Is it too lazy to characterize it as a team in Ainsworth's image against a team in Barton's image? I can't imaging one of our 'generals' letting the side down like Madden did.

• edited July 2020

Fitness/knocks depending, start with exactly the same team imo.

• Haven't had to post this for a while but the old ones are the best @emu80 say something positive about the team you support.

• I have met Lisa, whilst volunteering to shovel snow from the car park last winter. Lisa was back the next morning as was I, even though she was suffering badly with neck & shoulder issues. Personally, I don't know of a more deserving person than Lisa of any "freebie" if indeed that is what it was? Also, I am certain that all in the pic have been tested to the limit, possibly even on the day. They would also have been "cleared" by officials to attend. as such, would those that would seek to be offended, kindly "F-off". Many thanks in anticipation.

• Perhaps follow your own advice, forget about it and enjoy the win?

• Officials attending game enjoy their team winning? Disgraceful. Sharing their joy on social media? Appalling. Good luck to them i enjoyed watching the match and the result.

• Ah, I've missed the Gasroom. One of the best away wins in our history in one of the most important matches of our history, what a night!

Some people are stressed by isolation and badly need a hug. Don't forget to breathe:)

COYB!

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    I have met Lisa, whilst volunteering to shovel snow from the car park last winter. Lisa was back the next morning as was I, even though she was suffering badly with neck & shoulder issues. Personally, I don't know of a more deserving person than Lisa of any "freebie" if indeed that is what it was? Also, I am certain that all in the pic have been tested to the limit, possibly even on the day. They would also have been "cleared" by officials to attend. as such, would those that would seek to be offended, kindly "F-off". Many thanks in anticipation.

100% agreed.
    No-one reasonable would have any problem with it.

• @NorsQuarters said:
    Ah, I've missed the Gasroom. One of the best away wins in our history in one of the most important matches of our history, what a night!

Some people are stressed by isolation and badly need a hug. Don't forget to breathe:)

COYB!

We're at peak Wycombe Wanderers here.