Skip to content

Match day thread: Fleetwood (First Leg)

Comments

• It's a tough call - I would rather see if he could do the first 45, and then pull him off if we look home and dry.

• No chance - they could have beat us 6/7 at home in the league this is not over !!

• That was ok

• edited July 2020

Oxford and Sunderland fans seem united in saying that our game was awful, and Oxford fans are going so far as to say any L1 neutral would support whoever is playing us in the final. Funny that - here are a couple of excerpts from the BBC live feed:

90+3 mins
    Portsmouth 1-1 Oxford United

"Little of note" is what I've just said to a colleague as to how you'd best describe this second half....

HALF-TIME
    Fleetwood 1-3 Wycombe

Well, well....

You will wait very many years to see a first-half more eventful than that one in football. Three goals in the opening six minutes, a missed penalty, a red card to Fleetwood and then a fourth goal on the stroke of half-time.

Incredible.

Charlton 0-0 Millwall

The footballing gods giveth, the footballing gods take away.

Whereas we were treated to a game of absolute madness between Fleetwood and Wycombe, I can't honestly say we've had quite the same sort of game several hundred miles south at The Valley.

Farewell
    And so ends another entertaining night in the English Football League with the pick of the action at Highbury as Wycombe reigned victorious over nine-man Fleetwood.

• Good Morning Gasroomers. What a Great night that was .

• @emu80 said:
    No chance - they could have beat us 6/7 at home in the league this is not over !!

Yup. Its Richie.

• @Malone said:
    Best line tonight was Hendrie saying how a tackle was "late, but perfectly timed"

Erm?

Yeh we laughed at that one.

• @Croider said:
    Any thoughts of resting Charles for the 2nd leg to ensure he's back to 100% for the final? It's not like Sido or Phillips are completely incompetent and I'm sure either would still do a decent job if called upon.

Some people were mentioning it beforehand, and if he's ever going to be rested you'd think a 3 goal lead would be the time to do it.

Have you seen Phillip's play ? No way would Ainsworth select him in a game of this magnitude.

• @ChasHarps said:

@Croider said:
    Any thoughts of resting Charles for the 2nd leg to ensure he's back to 100% for the final? It's not like Sido or Phillips are completely incompetent and I'm sure either would still do a decent job if called upon.

Some people were mentioning it beforehand, and if he's ever going to be rested you'd think a 3 goal lead would be the time to do it.

Have you seen Phillip's play ? No way would Ainsworth select him in a game of this magnitude.

You'd be nuts to rest someone for a game you haven't qualified for yet. The thought of Sido at centre back does nothing for my nerves despite having a three goal lead.

• Wakes up, checks phone, it really did happen

• Im fully confident there is enough time and darius will play in all three games.

• I think defence is going to be sorely tested on monday against a team with a grudge and nothing to lose...Darius is a must

• @Croider said:

I would be much less confident if Phillips were to start on Monday.

• I don't think it's a case of "resting" Charles is it?

More that he physically can't play two games in four days

If he can then of course he'll play. But as I understood it, he can't

• My phone was being used to connect others through Zoom and I had a long post-match drive, so it’s been a complete joy catching up with the socials this morning (apart from Matt Clarke’s sour meltdown on twitter).

Must be the first match I’ve watched in years without fiddling with my phone - plus side was that I didn’t miss a thing.

I’m certain that was a fitness thing last night. Remember being well impressed with Fleetwood at AP this season and it might explain how defeated they looked virtually from the off.

• If Charles can't play for medical reasons, would Ofoborh be a better bet than Philips alongside Stewart?

• Oxford's Yellows Forum is frothing over with their usual drivel. Constant references to anti football. Borderline racist references to Ainsworth being a gypsy. How they wouldn't want to watch that every week. Would rather lose every week than play like that. It's like they collectively swallowed the Boys Own Bumper Book of Tedious Football Cliches.

But of course, they don't really care about Wycombe...

• @Malone said:

@thedieharder said:
    Who heard Madden screamed "you f****** b***"

Heard some that's an effin pen. But can't quite make out what the b stands for above?

"Bell"

• Charles has done two games in four days a couple of times this season, unless he's absolutely crippled he'll do it again.

• *just once sorry

Fleetwood and Southend was Tuesday-Saturday, but he did Donny and Ipswich Saturday-Tuesday. Fingers crossed.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Oxford's Yellows Forum is frothing over with their usual drivel. Constant references to anti football. Borderline racist references to Ainsworth being a gypsy. How they wouldn't want to watch that every week. Would rather lose every week than play like that. It's like they collectively swallowed the Boys Own Bumper Book of Tedious Football Cliches.

But of course, they don't really care about Wycombe...

Living in the area I really hope poxford don’t make it to the final they are such a big team blah blah blah

• Got to go with Charles. He's had months without a game so hopefully as a one off can deal with it.

As Sido didn't even make the bench it'd be surprising to seen him come in. It'd be surprising if he'd been rested for Monday.

Phillips unfortunately is just too big a step down to consider. Even with a big lead. Emergencies only.

• I may have blue coloured glasses on but i thought we played some decent stuff. Would prefer a pompey v blues final...though would enjoy winning it against oxford to be sure.

• @arnos_grove said:
    My phone was being used to connect others through Zoom and I had a long post-match drive, so it’s been a complete joy catching up with the socials this morning (apart from Matt Clarke’s sour meltdown on twitter).

Must be the first match I’ve watched in years without fiddling with my phone - plus side was that I didn’t miss a thing.

I’m certain that was a fitness thing last night. Remember being well impressed with Fleetwood at AP this season and it might explain how defeated they looked virtually from the off.

I wouldn’t go near Twitter so who is Matt Clarke and what did he say?

• @glasshalffull said:

@arnos_grove said:
    My phone was being used to connect others through Zoom and I had a long post-match drive, so it’s been a complete joy catching up with the socials this morning (apart from Matt Clarke’s sour meltdown on twitter).

Not worth the bother to be honest

• I understand our friends from a little further up the M40 state they will really miss the roar of the crowd at the cinema end on Monday

• @glasshalffull said:

@arnos_grove said:

A series of very angry and somewhat aggressive replies to Pete Couhig, WW Trust and Matt Cecil in response to Couhig posting a full time photo of those who were there in the stands celebrating. Claiming it was naive in the face of social distancing, and created an "us vs them" culture between those who can go to games, and those who can't. Ended with him claiming it soured his night, and the drummer boy joining in by saying "come on geezer" and "let us in on Monday" to Pete before making his intentions to stand on Hill bottom Road on Monday known.

All in all, a very weird exchange.

• I am very unhappy that Lisa Bowker was able to attend the game and have made my feelings known to the club in writing and also to the EFL this morning, she is not a club official in the sense of the regulations for people to attend matches, not sure if half of the people in the photo are.

• Shut yer cakehole, Richie.

• @emu80 said:
    I am very unhappy that Lisa Bowker was able to attend the game and have made my feelings known to the club in writing and also to the EFL this morning, she is not a club official in the sense of the regulations for people to attend matches, not sure if half of the people in the photo are.

Why would you waste time doing that? Why are you bothered? What do you seriously think that negativity will achieve?

With all the protocols in place, there was clearly a reason for people being there. I just cannot fathom why you are at all bothered. Enjoy the result and have a beer.