Skip to content

Match day thread: Fleetwood (First Leg)

Comments

• @Malone said:
    Best line tonight was Hendrie saying how a tackle was "late, but perfectly timed"

Erm?

I think that's probably fair.

That said, I did like the suggestion (which @Chris has already alluded to) that wily cotton-wool wrapped skillsmith Scott Kashket was a "like for like" substitution for human crash test dummy Alex Samuel.

But that's just more standard jobbing commentator ignorance of players who they're not familiar with, rather than just pure inanity as per your example.

• @PBo said:

@Malone said:
    Best line tonight was Hendrie saying how a tackle was "late, but perfectly timed"

Erm?

That said, I did like the suggestion (which @Chris has already alluded to) that wily cotton-wool wrapped skillsmith Scott Kashket was a "like for like" substitution for human crash test dummy Alex Samuel.

But that's just more standard jobbing commentator ignorance of players who they're not familiar with, rather than just pure inanity as per your example.

It is a tough job though. Imagine having to witter 90 mins of chat out. and often quickly on the spot, trying to be interesting.

Even though I saw Hendrie pre game, I still keep thinking it's Collymore!

• @LeedsBlue said:
    Top of the league in long balls. No one can touch us.

The funny thing is, for those purists who think the amount of passing is an important stat, Rochdale are the second best passers in L1...

Rochdale are a prime example of why style over substance is a load of bollocks.

• Superb performance...the team had a plan and played to it, every man. Ball in our half...boot it long...it’s wet and windy and we press Fleetwood all over the park. They make mistakes and we win...brilliant...oh and Ofoborh!

• Who heard Madden screamed "you f****** b***"

• Stupid madden...guaranteed red

• OFINABUS...offensive, insulting and abusive language...

• @Forest_Blue said:
    Stupid madden...guaranteed red

Indeed. Frustration got the better of him and it's not hard to see why. What a night though!!!!

COYB!!!!

• LX1LX1
    edited July 2020

@Malone said:

Erm?

I loved that, even though it did me choke on my beer. Superb

• That was a lovely way to spend an evening

Being 4-1 up against 9 men and not able to keep possession was the most Wycombe thing you could imagine

• Starting to sink in. I have struggled to watch and focus on football with no fans post lockdown but it is different with your own team. Especially when they continue to defy the odds and achieve new highs.

Back line was as solid as we could come to expect. Grimmer slotted in seamlessly like getting has never been away, what a player. JJ, still stunned he has pulled off yet another corner kick goal.

Gape quietly effective in his role and two outstanding all action performances from Blooms and Ofoborh

Samuel worked like a trojan, Fred was straight back to his tricky best and Wheeler is such an effective player. Everyone justified their selection. And I think the bench deserve a mention, they were so clearly loud and supportive on the touchline. What brilliant togetherness and team spirit. Our fitness looked on point and gives us a genuine shot at what would be a stunning and remarkable achievement

• Good Lord he is such a sanctimonious narcissistic twat

• Having walked to Highbury through that park before, I'm not sure that flare/smoke bomb near the end was anything to do with the football

• @thedieharder said:
    Who heard Madden screamed "you f****** b***"

Heard some that's an effin pen. But can't quite make out what the b stands for above?

• @Malone said:

@thedieharder said:

Heard some that's an effin pen. But can't quite make out what the b stands for above?

'biro'. He was alluding to the pen-pushing nature of our sport's officials, such as @peterparrotface

• @LX1 said:

@Malone said:

@thedieharder said:

'biro'. He was alluding to the pen-pushing nature of our sport's officials, such as @peterparrotface

Quite rare to see players sent off for swears though isn't it.
    But I suppose most of the swears is at other players, and most of the dissent is other words.

Barton didn't even look angry at his two idiotic red card-ees though.

• @Malone said:

@LX1 said:

@Malone said:

@thedieharder said:

But I suppose most of the swears is at other players, and most of the dissent is other words.

Quite rare for the word Biro to be censored. Odd times indeed.

• Still speechless after that. Possibly the greatest performance I have ever seen from a Wycombe side. And yet, I am still nervous about the prospect of defending a THREE GOAL LEAD... football eh? Wouldn't have it any other way - heroes, each and every last one of them.

• @Malone said:

@LX1 said:

@Malone said:

@thedieharder said:

It was the biro allusion that got him the card, not the swearing.

I thought from the press conference Barton had clearly been heavily counselled about his anger management, and he managed very well.

• I could happily watch tonight's goals on one of those YouTube 10 hour videos

• @PBo said:

@Malone said:

Erm?

There were a couple which made me chortle:

"Dominic Gape won Young Player of the Year a couple of seasons ago, but he now has to try and establish himself in the first team."

"Nick Freeman is coming on, and his dad is actually a Labour MP."

• Great to be back at and a real pleasure to broadcast alongside @glasshalffull

Half way there but Gaz was very calm and measured in his post match. Barton also very calm too.

Roll on Monday.

• @Brownie said:
    Still speechless after that. Possibly the greatest performance I have ever seen from a Wycombe side. And yet, I am still nervous about the prospect of defending a THREE GOAL LEAD... football eh? Wouldn't have it any other way - heroes, each and every last one of them.

I'm with you! I really wanted a 5th. An early Fleetwood goal at AP would certainly leave the nerves jangling...though now that Grimmer is back, I feel better about our defensive shape.

• Our back five did not concede in open play tonight,,,well done lads, a massive positive. Grimmer and Joe dealt with Barrie McKay and he is a very good winger (well rated in his time at Forest)

• The commentators' reaction to the shot after JJ's penalty miss was also perplexing. They heard the clang off the post in the Marlow bistros, yet it was hailed as a 'great double save!'

• Keeper did knock it into the post

• @PrinceOfCrowell said:
    Keeper did knock it into the post

That was a rumour originated by the Marlow bistrois. Let's keep it football please

• she was at the game as I posted which was deleted !!

• Any thoughts of resting Charles for the 2nd leg to ensure he's back to 100% for the final? It's not like Sido or Phillips are completely incompetent and I'm sure either would still do a decent job if called upon.

Some people were mentioning it beforehand, and if he's ever going to be rested you'd think a 3 goal lead would be the time to do it.