Skip to content

Match day thread: Fleetwood (First Leg)

Comments

• What sort of manager must GA be to get them playing like that after three months off? Incredible! There’s is nothing we can’t achieve now.

• Imagine if Fleetwood's preparations hadn't been perfect as well what we'd have done!

• That couldn’t really have gone much better.

Decision going with Charles and against Madden was massive. It was a huge call but the officials got it right. I still think the ref was awful but did redeem himself somewhat with that decision.

• We made two double subs. Bayo+Thompson after Pattison+Kashket.

• Absolutely awesome performance and a truly horrid one from Fleetwood, who were lucky to only be down to 9 by the end.

• I enjoyed Kashket’s attempt to get them down to 8.

• @Malone said:

@chairboyscentral said:
    @Malone Half-time doesn't count as one!

I'm probably mis remembering that Kaskhet and Pattison in effect came on as a double sub. Thought they were separate, but couldn't have been.

It looks like that on the score apps but only because the clock ticked over. Even if we had used four 'windows', wouldn't that have been the fourth official's fault?

• Why was the ref bad? Thought it was a good game that flowed...and though the decision would have been soft i think madden was unlucky it was not given.

• Almost speechless. Pretty sure the people at the far end of the street heard us. Incredible performance. Our fitness levels are unbelievable and in such a bizarre play-off situation, could be the key. Masterclass from Ainsworth. Again.

• Fantastic performance and a much better game for the neutral than the Portsmouth game.

I bet we’ve even got our own thread on the PNL forum.

• Shouldn’t be concerned about travelling to Wembley either.

• The cheer the players made when we scored our first was a brilliant moment too.

That Madden incident was certainly a hold your breath moment though. Ref gives a pen and Charles a red card, then suddenly 2-4 and without arguably your best defender becomes a very different second leg.

• Awesome display. Message for Vital :Extra strong mints consumed prior to JJs goal. It always works ! Hope you and Linda are well. I've got no voice tonight !

• One to file alongside Barton's "brilliant" preparation.
    Imagine if their prep had been crap.

• Well that was simply sensational!

• @glasshalfempty said:
    Well that was simply sensational!

and this is coming from the "empty" glass-based pseudonym, imagine the hyperbole when @glasshalffull gets here...

• Just tremendous

• That match did our worldwide credentials no harm at all. Tweets from all over the world about it on Twitter.

• I am sure that, at one point, Sky put up a stat saying that Wycombe were 24th in passing in league 1 this season.
    Does that mean we were worse than Bury?

• @AlanB said:
    I am sure that, at one point, Sky put up a stat saying that Wycombe were 24th in passing in league 1 this season.

Then we scored from a route one free kick...

• Enjoyed a skim through Sunderland and Oxford forums. A few pleased to see Barton smashed, but the usual salt towards us.

A couple of Oxford fans are very smug about beating Portsmouth being a guaranteed promotion!

• PBoPBo
    edited July 2020

@AlanB said:
    I am sure that, at one point, Sky put up a stat saying that Wycombe were 24th in passing in league 1 this season.

not sure exactly what they were referring to, but maybe this (which doesn't refer to actual numeric rank, and Bury aren't included):

• Best line tonight was Hendrie saying how a tackle was "late, but perfectly timed"

Erm?

• I’m trying to remember the last time JJ actually got into the opposition penalty area away from home. Brilliant ambition from the start

• I have to say i was worried about the final if we got through but on that performance we would be a match for either of the other two should we progress. We didnt even need the big man for gawd's sake!

• Fitness levels looked impeccable

• Top of the league in long balls. No one can touch us.

The funny thing is, for those purists who think the amount of passing is an important stat, Rochdale are the second best passers in L1...

• One of the most bonkers games I've ever seen. We kept our heads and put in a professional but passionate performance 1-11. Fleetwood put in a performance that mirrored their petulant brat manager at his cynical self-entitled worst.
    I have no doubt Gaz will keep the lads' feet firmly on the ground, we have to be up for a proper scrap on Monday.