Skip to content

Random Matches Attended

I'd be interested to hear some of the most interesting or obscure matches you have attended which did not involve Wycombe?

For me, Colo-Colo v Universidad de Chile, pre-season friendly in Santiago back in 1999. Massive rivalry, and even for a "friendly", there was mass fighting in the streets, stadium set alight, flares, protective police shield around referee at half-time and full-time. Also, six red cards and one of the managers resigning.

Comments

• Fuerteventura versus some other random Spanish 4th division team, whilst bored on holiday years ago... was a few hundred people in there during the afternoon and absolutely roasting ! Cant even remember the score sadly.

• I've attended a fair through random games in Europe, particularly in the Czech Republic. One that stands out though was the 2003 Latvian Cup Final.

I was travelling through the Baltics at the time with a mate and in a rather hungover state after a night out in Riga, we were delighted to stumble across a football match taking place at the very small national stadium. We were completely unaware when entering that it was the Cup Final between Skonto Riga and FK Ventspils. A hugely enjoyable evening was had watching Ventspils thrash the locals 4-0. We went on the pitch with the travelling fans afterwards to join in the celebrations and congratulate the players. Think we may have even had a kick about in the goal mouth! Probably a crowd about 3-4000 in total.

• A Scottish league cup game at Inverness whilst there on business. Was bl**dy freezing even in early September

• Exeter 2 Scunthorpe 0 2014 ish. A very long journey for the travelling fans, team outplayed, and the heaviest monsoon I have ever seen throughout the second half. In those days Exeter's away terrace was uncovered. Scunny were promoted that day but for them it must have made Taylor's promotion look like a joyous celebration.

Saddest game. Standing on Jerusalem's city walls, I spied an organised game between around 12 year olds and watched a half. Blue team were clearly jewish kids , red Palestinian. The ref was the most biased I have ever seen in favour of the blues. Whether he understood the torrent of abuse I couldn't resist giving him at half time I am not sure but the reds coach clearly appreciated it. I thought I better beat a hasty retreat before the Government turned up....

• Tenerife v Barnsley pre-season, advertised in all the bars as part of some tour with meet and greets, we went along to sit in the sun for a bit, as did the Barnsley players, Tenerife (possibly Tenerife U21s) lined up immaculately in matching club gear going through their routines, Barnsley's scruffy lot wandered about and had the choice of being sheltered from the sun in an oversized dugout or sunbathing pitch side before no doubt returning to the pub. Non event of a game, can't remember the score. The oddest bit was that this game and trip was only a week before their season started and they went on to get hammered about 6-0 in their opener. That and the folks selling knock of England shirts openly in the crowd and the erm interesting northern response to a female linesman only seen from messrs Keys and Gray more recently.

• Andorra v England was another bizzare game, hosted at Espanol's Montjuic (Barcelona Olympic) stadium. Can't remember exactly where we were in the qualifying process but it was clear McClaren was a mistake by then. 0-0 at half time wasn't what we were hoping for and "McLaren out" rang out as loudly as possible for a stadium about a third full with "home" fans countable on one hand and unsurprisingly no neutrals wandering up the hill to take a look.
    England eventually won 3-0 which was just enough to be almost respectable given the opposition. Dave Nugent tapped in a shot from Defoe that was already going in to give him a 100% goal scoring record for England that sits alongside Allardyces managerial record.
    We went back down the hill to the sounds of "Still want McLaren out" that I find my self still singing when he turns up on TV to this day.

• South Korea vs Gabon in the 2020 Olympics at Wembley Stadium. I saw future Arsenal player Pierre Emerick Aubameyang play that day.

• @thedieharder said:
    South Korea vs Gabon in the 2020 Olympics at Wembley Stadium. I saw future Arsenal player Pierre Emerick Aubameyang play that day.

• edited July 2020

Was in Hereford on the opening day of the 95/96 season, when Wycombe kicked off with an uninspiring 1-1 v Crewe.

Saw a much better game, with Hereford smashing Barnet 4-1. Notable for Maik Taylor who would go on to exist in the Premier league, making his debut for Barnet, having paid his way out of the army, and conceding a goal direct from his opposite number MacKenzie. Massive gaffe on goal number 4 too (though i have to admit I certainly didn't remember that until watching back)

Found some good footage, unfortunately no sound one the first one

Always held a soft spot for Hereford since, even 25 years on, having only been back to Hereford once since!

• @thedieharder I think I saw that match also. A very dull 0-0. I had no idea Aubameyang played that day!

• Following on from Strongest's post, saw a few post season friendlies when i was living in Bermuda. Big teams would come out (Man U, Arsenal,Chelsea possibly, Hull City (why???)) and play a couple of games. Full first teams played so you had the Arsenal back four Dixon, Adams, Keown, Winterburn playing offside against sub conference south level opponents. It was dire. All seemed to come to an end after one of the Man U players got accused of rape after an evening out.

• @thedieharder said:

@thedieharder said:
    South Korea vs Gabon in the 2020 Olympics at Wembley Stadium. I saw future Arsenal player Pierre Emerick Aubameyang play that day.

Team GB!!, GB!!
    We're better than UAE!!
    Team GB!!, GB!!

• Naphill V Wyc Wand Reserves B&B intermediate cup on Naphill common in 83/84.
    Wanderers won comfortably, with Terry Glynn making his long awaited comeback from injury.
    The Naphill linesman, was one of their subs, and was vocally making comments that Naphill had brought in some 'Glory Ringers' for this game, and he had lost his place.
    I think it was the 3rd Wycombe goal that saw the Naphill back four go up in unison to appeal for what looked a clear offside.
    The sulking linesman kept his flag down, then there was a torrid of abuse between the Naphill players and the lino.
    He eventually walked off, shouting that Naphill are fielding ringers !!
    It really was a most comical episode.

• Not very obscure but I went to the Umbro Tournament in 1996 at the City Ground (Forest, Chelsea, Ajax, Man U) two games a day over a weekend. After a few crunching tackles in the Man U /Ajax game Sir Arex had to take Keano off at the referee's suggestion after about 15 minutes. I doubt the word 'friendly game' ever really sunk in with yer man!

• Best linesman incident I saw was a kids game involving my lad. Dads ran the line and the opposition one was more than a little biased. Eventually the ref learned to ignore him which lead to an epic row. After some swearing back and forth, the ref ostentatiously showed the linesman the red card and ordered him to leave the stadium. The Lino quite reasonably replied "stadium, its only a fucking school field you twat" and "I can't leave as I've got to drive my kid home". Lino then waited in car park so he could record refs number plate in his notebook. Turns out he was a cop. Not quite sure what criminal offence he thought the ref had committed....

• @thedieharder said:

@thedieharder said:

Ha! I was there!

• edited July 2020

Malta v South Africa in 1999 possibly. One of those games that makes you wonder what possible benefit either side hope to gain. South Africa won 1-0, Lucas Radebe I think.

I watched Aldershot, Woking and Guildford a fair bit when i lived down there. My trip to Guildford was the only game i've ever seen abandoned due to injury.

• I watched a parks game in Shenzhen in China a few years ago with a Chinese colleague, standards was pretty poor. Talking to the players (in words of single syllables) after the game it transpired they had a friendly two days later and were short of a keeper, I played we won 2_1 and I saved a penalty. Free beer for the rest of my trip.

• The day after Wycombe played SC Verl pre-season in the noughties, Borussia Dortmund were playing AS Roma, which most Wanderers over there went to.

During the first half we unveiled a Wycombe white ensign in front of the famous 'Yellow Wall.' Most of the locals were intersted in who we were except one elderly German gentleman (who I suspect had, like us, been on the schnapps all afternoon). Our new freunde produced a lighter and attempted to set fire to the flag!

• Blackpool Reserves v Liverpool Reserves late 1975 in the Central League. I was up there on a TC through work so got to take in the Illuminations on the firm. The Liverpool team was packed with household names and contained about 7 internationals such was their strength in depth. I think they won 3-1 The crowd was about 3000 bolstered by many holidaying Reds fans. Also whilst up there that week I saw Fleetwood in a Northern Premier League game at their old ground bumping into a couple of Chairboys Fans on their holidays.

• @LX1 said:
    The day after Wycombe played SC Verl pre-season in the noughties, Borussia Dortmund were playing AS Roma, which most Wanderers over there went to.

During the first half we unveiled a Wycombe white ensign in front of the famous 'Yellow Wall.' Most of the locals were intersted in who we were except one elderly German gentleman (who I suspect had, like us, been on the schnapps all afternoon). Our new freunde produced a lighter and attempted to set fire to the flag!

Remember the locals saying their BD season ticket was 120 Euros, and for that you got free entry to the Roma friendly and the new shirt included!

• Solihull Moors -v- Gainsborough Trinity in 2013.

Nor especially obscure, but a memorable game for the 500 or so who attended.

Firstly, there was a kit clash. Moors played in yellow and blue shirts, blue shorts, yellow and blue socks; Gainsborough's home kit was all blue, change kit was all yellow, so they played in a mix of the two (blue/yellow/blue). It wasn't too bad in open play but at corners, the colours merged into one and Gainsborough were denied a penalty because the referee thought another Trinity player had tripped his own man.

Secondly, whilst the game started in bright sunshine, there was a biblical rainstorm for the last thirty minutes of the game. This made identifying the two teams next to impossible and with ten minutes to go there were large puddles on the pitch. Not a hint of an abandonment. Gainsborough were leading 2-1 at this point but conceded twice in the last couple of minutes. There was then the most bizarre booking I've ever seen when a Moors player, whilst time-wasting for a few seconds, kicked some standing water at an opponent and was cautioned, presumably for ungentlemanly conduct.

Post-game the car park was under several inches of water. By 5.15, the sun was out.

• Celtic Ladies v Stirling University Ladies, Easter weekend 2017. Had revisited the ancestral homeland for Easter and had what seemed to be a football-free few hours to pass before we headed to the airport, but this game was played at Celtic Park, presumably to give the women's game in Scotland a higher profile. Only £2 to get in but still just 500 or so souls in such a vast stadium. Ended 2-0 to Celtic with a red card for one of the Stirling team. Celtic's striker was sat in front of us on the plane back to Luton. She seemed extremely chuffed we recognised her.

• Last summer I met a friend at the National Slate Museum in North Wales. We noticed the final of the 'Island Games' football tournament was that evening in Anglesey between the hosts and Guernsey. Both being former Guernsey residents and tommy tick-offs we dumped his missus and baby (after the obligatory slate train ride) in LLandudno and raced over the Menai Strait just in time for kick off. Again got a Wycombe flag up which caused great confusion amongst the various islanders from St Helena to outer Norway. Was a very healthy crowd but I guess it was a massive event in Anglesey, and the home team were in the final. My Hartlepool friend was amazed that in the clubhouse all the locals were talking Welsh. I didn't tell him they had more difficulty understanding him than he did them!

On the way home I popped into Llandudno FC for a quick look. A suspicious bloke accosted me and asked my business. When I told him I was was just a tourist he introduced himself as the manager, and proceeded to show me all the photos in his office. Had to leg it in the end.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Celtic Ladies v Stirling University Ladies, Easter weekend 2017. Had revisited the ancestral homeland for Easter and had what seemed to be a football-free few hours to pass before we headed to the airport, but this game was played at Celtic Park, presumably to give the women's game in Scotland a higher profile. Only £2 to get in but still just 500 or so souls in such a vast stadium. Ended 2-0 to Celtic with a red card for one of the Stirling team. Celtic's striker was sat in front of us on the plane back to Luton. She seemed extremely chuffed we recognised her.

I think we have a winner!! That really is random

• A friend of mine won tickets to a heavy metal festival at Pontins in Prestatyn, called Hammerfest. Think it was 2010. Turned up on the Friday and realised that it was next door to Prestatyn Town FC. Popped next door and watched Prestatyn Town v Bangor City. Bangor had a striker called Quality Dave. At least that's what the manager kept shouting at him.

• Last December had tickets for Ochos Rios, a Jamaican team, to play their first ever game game under their newly installed floodlights. Unfortunately an illness in the family meant we had to fly home 48 hours after arriving so we never got to to go to the match.

• I think I’ve mentioned this before, and it’s not a football match, but I watched Hamilton Tiger-Cats play their local rivals Toronto Argonauts in the Canadian Football League. I happened to be driving through Hamilton at the time, and it was the first game in their new stadium.

Toronto Argonauts play in light and dark blue, taken from the Oxford and Cambridge blues (sounds familiar) as they originally started as a rowing club.

I was surprised by the amount of casual homophobia in anti-Toronto chants and comments from the Tiger-Cats fans, it wouldn’t be acceptable at a football match here.

• Penzance vs Leicester city... pre season friendly 1996, finished 2-4

• 1996 Mile High Stadium, Denver, Colorado Rapids v FC Twente in a pre season. Very few fans to see Chris Woods in goal for Colorado plus Ian Butterworth and Roy Wegerle. FC Twente dominated and even scored a goal direct from their own half, Beckham style. I was on holiday and took my girlfriend, now wife and she doesn’t even like ‘soccer’.