Skip to content

CMS new record ?

With the confirmation of Stevenage being relegated to the Conference.
Craig Mackell-Smith has the unenviable record of being relegated from the FL to the Conf in two consecutive seasons, with two different teams after his spell with Notts County last season.
I doubt this has been achieved before ?

Comments

• And if we do achieve promotion will he be the first player to be promoted and relegated in the same season?

• He can't win promotion as he'll be out of contract then won't he?

• @chairboyscentral said:
    He can't win promotion as he'll be out of contract then won't he?

Depends on where you set the bar I suppose. I'd say a loan player could argue a promotion won.

My bar is the Castledine at Leicester moment. Would you argue with him?

• Remember Ritchie de Laet winning the Championship and the Premiership same season about a week apart.

Given the shorter contracts and frequency players move clubs in the lower divisions wouldn't be shocked if the consecutive league 2 relegations has happened before.

• Would be quite impressive though to have two relegations for his loan club and two promotions for his parent club in two seasons though - were we to get promoted obviously

• We didnt get promoted last season !!

• @bookertease said:
    Would be quite impressive though to have two relegations for his loan club and two promotions for his parent club in two seasons though - were we to get promoted obviously

Did I miss a promotion?

• It’s been a long 3 months....

• Unless my old eyes decived me (very possible ) I thought I saw him training in one of the picture galleries I would assume then he's part of the squad for the playoffs. Off the bench for a late winner against the Three Sided Stadium boys. ?

• edited June 2020

He's not eligible - if your loan club's season ends and you return to your parent club, you can't then play for them in the play-offs.

• I dont think this is correct !!! WWFC have asked the EFL and awaiting a response

• Danny Rowe was on the bench for Rotherham during their League 1 play-off campaign a few weeks after playing for us at Torquay when he was on loan.

Granted that was 6 years ago so the rules may have changed since.

• This is what the EFL rules say: I checked and had it confirmed anyway.

• @emu80 said:
    I dont think this is correct !!! WWFC have asked the EFL and awaiting a response

Ah. That warm glow of nostalgia

• He could just wear Alex Samuel's shirt. No-one would notice.

• Its not a league match 1
    Playoffs are cup matches

• Mute point. Are play offs treated as league matches. ? Guess they are but..,

• He wouldnt play anyway but may have made the bench possibly so dont suppose it matters

• With 9 allowed on the bench and allowing for injuries and possible red cards its possible What about Gardiner -Smith who was on loan to a National League south club ?

• edited June 2020

@Mr67 said:
    With 9 allowed on the bench and allowing for injuries and possible red cards its possible What about Gardiner -Smith who was on loan to a National League south club ?

I believe he could as his wasn't a Standard Loan (a loan lasting from transfer window to transfer window).

• Never had all this red tape when I used to run a works team playing friendlies only. Two legs and breathing and you were in the team!

• I'm beginning to see how clubs manage to field ineligible players once in a while.

• @Mr67, when I played Sunday league neither 2 legs nor breathing were required. I wouldn't have made the team otherwise ...

• @Mr67 said:
    Mute point. Are play offs treated as league matches. ? Guess they are but..,

Technically speaking it should be 'moot point', before @micra gets all worked up.

• I'm blaming spell check !

• Mrs micra and I are virtually housebound @Cyclops but we are keeping well and generally in good humour.

I stopped commenting on errors of spelling, punctuation, grammar and syntax some time ago. It’s not very nice! But, having said that, my right index finger did hover indecisively over the comments box for a couple of seconds when I saw “mute” used yet again instead of “moot”.