Skip to content

‘Merch’

There has been a lot of discussion regarding the products available though the on-line shop. Many people have complained about the prices. I have not even looked but I cannot abide the use of the expression ‘merch’ to describe the merchandise. Matt Cecil even used it once during his most recent podcast chat (admittedly with the Couhig clan). I have found them to be a breath of fresh air and their openness and willingness to engage and explain their approach to developments has been laudable. But can we please call the products for sale something other than ‘merch’
Rant over, - now looking forward to a tof in the build up to the beginning of July.

Comments

• Fair point but do you prefer 'Yeah, I'm a Wanderer' or 'Up the Wyc'?

• @Onlooker said:
    Fair point but do you prefer 'Yeah, I'm a Wanderer' or 'Up the Wyc'?

Dont like either ! Espc 'up the wyc' it sounds awful... come on you blues !!

• I’m not a fan of those either - but Merch is the one that

• Must not be allowed to spread.

• There's one guy on the fb page who seems particularly upset about the new merch.

Seems to have been selected by the club to design some and then they've not used his stuff.

• Have never heard anyone from Wycombe call it "Wyc". Truly awful.

COYB

• Please don't call it Wyc.
    The name to use is Wycombe.
    Using Wyc is wrong.

A Sunday haiku for you all.

• The "yeah im a wanderer" i think is fair enough. It's in the song and new owners have to add new things, it's in the description.
    But up the wyc is a strange one.

• It really gets on mine.

• Didn't @chairboyscentral post the other day that the younger fan base used the term 'Wyc'?

Personally not a fan and getting close to where the Americanisms go from quirky to weird.

• edited June 2020

I think 'Up the Wyc' might be a Twitter thing among 'dem youth'. In fact I'm surprised/relieved that they haven't added a hashtag to it.

Not keen on the new merchandise myself, but then I suspect I no longer belong to the age group that it's being aimed at.

At least we've all found something to moan about among all this positivity! Vive la Gasroom!

• Agreed "up the Wyc' is horrific, it's something you would expect Boris and his chums to shout as they stumbled across the fields to watch Eton Wick !!

• I've heard "the big WYC" before. But only as a total mickey take of NYC...New York City.

Other than that, I've never heard or seen the letters wyc used before anywhere.

• Seeing this thread title I expected to see comments on the merchandise itself. I expected to see comments in particular on the face masks. I’ll refrain for now other than to say that at least it it is good to see that the One Can Trust (for which GA has just been appointed “ambassador”) has benefitted pretty well.

• @micra said:
    Seeing this thread title I expected to see comments on the merchandise itself. I expected to see comments in particular on the face masks. I’ll refrain for now other than to say that at least it it is good to see that the One Can Trust (for which GA has just been appointed “ambassador”) has benefitted pretty well.

There was one t short that had PLAYOFF and a big 20 on the back.
    That was odd.

• t-shirt ...

• Sounds a bit panicked!

• I think they have clearly got it all wrong but it's not something to get upset about. Hopefully they haven't ordered too much stock.

• Is referring to it as a 'Playoff' (singular), an American thing? Perhaps in American sports, a playoff is just a one-game event.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that this is just something that's been lost in translation

• Looking forward to a tof @Thicketblue ?
    How about one of Boris’s chums on their way to the Wick?

• Up the Wyc has been around for years, long before the Couhigs came in.

• Up the wyc sounds hideous.

Lots of heat on the fb group about the, ahem, merch, but if it's been stirred up by a spurned designer it makes a bit more sense.

• @floyd said:
    Up the wyc sounds hideous.

Lots of heat on the fb group about the, ahem, merch, but if it's been stirred up by a spurned designer it makes a bit more sense.

The spurned designer oddly seems to think whinging about it publicly, slating the slogans the owners have asked for, and saying how poor the chosen designs are, is his best way of getting back in favour.

• I don't mind Wyc or merch if I'm honest

• Micra, I love reading and empathising with your pedantry posts, but I have no clue to what you refer when saying, "Looking forward to a tof". Please clarify, for the hard of thinking.

• I'd hardly heard of the term Chairboys until Gasman & co started using it in Chairboys Gas, and at first I wasn't too keen. But at least that was an old name resurrected, and it caught on again big-time. Can't really see 'Up The Wyc' doing the same.

• edited June 2020

I'm a big fan of the Couhigs so far and think they're doing a great job overall (especially these last few months), but...

I think the recent "merch" they're launching is really disappointing. It's overpriced (£25 for basic t-shirt, £13 for a mug?!) and, on the whole, badly designed (that playoff t-shirt @Malone mentioned above is a particularly odd example). At the moment merchandise must be our greatest opportunity of making some money but I think they've missed the mark on both pricing and quality.

Of course I appreciate a lot of this is personal taste and I don't have to buy it, but I'm yet to see any fans being positive about this new offering. When they arrived there were lots of instances where they asked fans for product ideas - I think they should return to those lists (why do we STILL not have anything for babies?!) and find better designers and cheaper suppliers.

I have no huge issue with some of the slogans though - I can understand why they'd want to try new things to see if anything sticks. Particularly if they're trying to engage the younger fanbase.

• The prices are bonkers, £29 inc postage for a T-Shirt, £46.50 for a shirt we will never see worn live again.

They did mention prices would increase TBF, question is, will they get people buying.

Hopefully yes, if it makes the club sustainable, I've got enough stuff over the years to wear a different top every day for a fortnight at least.

• LX1LX1
    edited June 2020

I lost my WWFC ball marker playing golf last week. It was a magnetic one which stuck to the glove. Would buy one of them.

Whilst disappointed, the thought of a player behind me striding up to the green to see a Wycombe Wanderers badge winking at him from the rough is quite nice.

• @micra said:
    Looking forward to a tof @Thicketblue ?
    How about one of Boris’s chums on their way to the Wick?

Bit obscure @Thicketblue and certainly not one of my better efforts to be witty but if you look back at the last sentence of your OP you will see what was spotted by my eagle eye. (The other one is useless.)