Skip to content

HISTORY IS MADE!

Comments

• Last question: Yes
    First question: Sky money

• Who would not want two helpings of Joey Barton v The Wild Thing?
    I would argue Jackett v Robinson does not have the same marquee appeal.

• I also thought that one legged semis would be considered, given the circumstances. Maybe they were. To me, it would be logical that the teams that finished third and fourth played at home. There is some precedent to that as least, with the extended play-off model in non-league. However, Sky money does indeed talk very loudly.

• Shame the games won't be on iFollow. Anyone know the cheapest way to get a short-term Sky subscription? Do they do one-week, or one-month ones?

• Play-offs in the current format have always been two-legged, haven't they? Got to keep things as 'normal' as possible.

• edited June 2020

Yes, a NOW TV one month Sky Sports subscription is available for £20.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Play-offs in the current format have always been two-legged, haven't they? Got to keep things as 'normal' as possible.

I absolutely agree with the concept of keeping things as normal as possible. However, given that these are very much exceptional circumstances and there is an almost total absence of any notion of home advantage, I thought it would at least be considered.

• You can get a day pass for NowTV too.

Rob mentioned having "arrangements" with players up to 11/12 July, so it doesn't sound like the play-offs are going to be rushed.

@Shev Also confirmation they won't be on iFollow - although not whether that's internationally or UK-only.

Cheers. I have a bad feeling this will also be international, like the regular season Sky games were.

This is inevitably heading towards a mate over there pointing his laptop at the TV. It will be known as a Sky-Skype.

• @YorkExile said:

And if you have Tesco Clubcard vouchers you can swap them for NowTv at a rate £7.50 for £2.50 so reducing the week/month cost to a third of the normal

• Thanks everyone, sounds reasonable.

• I actually have a tiny bit of butterflies over these games already. I'm like someone who has not touched a drop for months, so consequently gets a buzz going from sip of beer...

• @bluntphil said:
    For the next RTB episode, I'm thinking of a regional tour of accents bemoaning PPG...

Will they all have a hint of west Wycombe/Chinnor to them?

• @NiceCarrots said:
    Firstly, a massive hats off to everyone concerned for the best league position in the club's entire history.

Secondly, given what's going on, can anyone explain why the semi-final has to be a two-legged affair?

Wouldn't it be better for a one-off at a neutral ground?

Play offs have always been two legged ties and in bringing players back to training they may as well play three games as two.
    Also I'd say two legs gives a little bit less of a lottery feel as a one off game after months of inactivity would be really tough.
    I'm sure none of that was part of the reasoning though. I'm sure it was just because it was the rules.

• edited June 2020

Has anyone defined what the rules are with tests? Is it up to the clubs whether to go ahead, depending on which players would have to sit out? I have not seen any clarity on how it would all work.

Either way, this continues to undermine the assertion that the season could have been completed.

• Remember four Pompey players tested positive after they played Arsenal in early March. Hopefully these ones aren't related, but there have been reports of people's cases lasting several months - albeit every experience I've read has involved the person still having symptoms by then. Here's hoping they make a quick recovery.

• @carrickblue said:

@YorkExile said:

And if you have Tesco Clubcard vouchers you can swap them for NowTv at a rate £7.50 for £2.50 so reducing the week/month cost to a third of the normal

Wow, thank you @carrickblue. I hadn't seen that offer, and would never have thought to look.

• If you know someone with a sky subscription, you can install sky go on a laptop if they’re willing to share their password.

• @OxfordBlue said:
    If you know someone with a sky subscription, you can install sky go on a laptop if they’re willing to share their password.

Two simultaneous streams on NowTV on one account too

• @bluntphil said:
    For the next RTB episode, I'm thinking of a regional tour of accents bemoaning PPG...

Sounds like a bit of a laugh?

Remember four Pompey players tested positive after they played Arsenal in early March. Hopefully these ones aren't related, but there have been reports of people's cases lasting several months - albeit every experience I've read has involved the person still having symptoms by then. Here's hoping they make a quick recovery.

Didn't the entire Portsmouth squad test negative in the first round of testing? I think the after effects go on long after the virus has gone so not sure how there can be a link.

The postive tests for people with no symptoms is something that gives me a bit of hope that lots more people than shown have some resistance going forward

• @perfidious_albion said:

@bluntphil said:

Sounds like a bit of a laugh?

Maybe it can be accompanied by the sound of toys hitting the floor after they have flown out of a pram?

• @YorkExile said:

That's an excellent price as we'd all happily pay £10 for one game on ifollow.

And even with the way the league are messing about you surely get all 3 divisions semis and finals within one month.

9 games for £20.

• 15 I think.
    Hi @Malone. Hope you and yours are well.

• @micra said:
    15 I think.

Oldest son you are correct. Shocking maths. Even more of a bargain!

• @Malone said:

@micra said:
    15 I think.

Oldest son you are correct. Shocking maths. Even more of a bargain!

Possibly than 15 if you include any Premiership and championship fixtures. (If you count Premiership as real football before anyone shouts)

• It’s £33.99 for a month, or £9.99 for a day pass.
    https://www.nowtv.com/watch-sky-sports-online#ib-section-section-2

• @Shev the playoffs will probably be on ESPN+, I think they’re the worldwide partner.

• Cheers @floyd - I don't have it, but I will buy a whole year for the sake of the playoffs, if I can't do pay-per-view!