Skip to content

HISTORY IS MADE!

Comments

• @bigred87 said:
    Can one of you wonderful people get a link up from the Sunderland and posh forum's?

Not sure about Posh, but Sunderland is here: https://www.readytogo.net/smb/forums/pure-football.86/

• What’s the situation with our loan players? I know Mccarthey has has to go back, but dare we hope we’ll be seeing some of the others?

• @our_frank said:
    Third in the third division.

You can say what you like about only having played three quarters of the season, or speculate about what might have happened in all the remaining games. But Wycombe finished 3rd. Wycombe Bloody Wanderers, 3rd. In the third division.

In Sands cottages in twenty years time, surely children will chant the names: Allsop; Grimmer; Jacobson; Stewart; Charles; Gape; Thompson, C.; Bloomfield; Onyedinma; Akinfenwa; Wheeler. In Castlefield semis, they will ask, "Dad, what was it like to see Paul Smyth and Alex Samuel run at the opposition?" Even in Kingshill, "Tell me again, Mum, before I go to bed, about that reverse pass from Freeman to Kashket?"

Maybe we'll hit the ground running in the play-offs like we did the normal season. Maybe we'll look like we haven't seen a ball in four months. Regardless, this season should always be remembered as a thing of amazement; from the least promising close-season circumstances, to have scaled such extraordinary heights. Heroes, all of them. Heroes! We may never see their like again.

"Haggerty, F., Haggerty R., Tompkins, Noble, Carrick ...".

Great post, sums up my feelings exactly. Don’t let anyone say we don’t deserve a crack at promotion or that we’re ‘not ready’ to go up. Bring it on.

• Extraordinary times. I fancy us now, I really do. I’m certain no management team will have done more to keep the players focused and able to cope through this pandemic than Gaz And Dobbo. Mental wellness will be the key to the promised land- that and a last minute winner against Oxford from Bayo! COYB

• Best piece of news for ages. Hats off to Gareth and Dobbo.

• @Manboobs said:
    Extraordinary times. I fancy us now, I really do. I’m certain no management team will have done more to keep the players focused and able to cope through this pandemic than Gaz And Dobbo. Mental wellness will be the key to the promised land- that and a last minute winner against Oxford from Bayo! COYB

Was talking about this to my lad yesterday. Last minute of the play off final, Mousinho flattens Kashket in the area and is shown red, Bayo sticks the penalty away and takes off his shirt to reveal the legend "Justice is sweet".

• @bigred87 said:
    Can one of you wonderful people get a link up from the Sunderland and posh forum's?

https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/to-all-those-annoyed-at-wycombe.1519860/

Watch out for the absolute moron called John who reckons Ainsworth will try and get the team infected so that we went up when the playoffs were cancelled!?
    Mad.

• Comments from Rob Couhig amongst other (less diplomatic) club owners: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52986963

• However we ended up here it is an absolutely fantastic effort by all concerned. From the lowest point at the end of last season when GA had to let all those players go, to our highest ever league position and a place in the play offs.

I know I’m not exactly ever optimistic when it comes to Wycombe but this time last year I would have viewed survival in League 1 as a reason to celebrate.

We fully deserve our final position in the table. I just feel... chuffed

• edited June 2020

Mark Palios sounds a bit bitter: "I have lost count of the number of Chairman [sic] who have sympathised at the unfairness of our plight, whilst still voting for it. However, sympathy doesn’t pay wages or assuage a deep sense of unfairness." He's gone down in my estimation after the last couple of weeks. https://www.tranmererovers.co.uk/news/2020/june/chairmans-statement-regarding-201920-efl-season/

• Will Oxford fans get to watch their home game from the car park?

• I don't know why but I'm ridiculously confident we are going up. Just have a feeling that closed door will suit us more than other teams.

How odd would it be for us to get promoted to the championship and not be able to be there to witness it.

• Watch on box; there in spirit.

• @thecatwwfc said:
    Will Oxford fans get to watch their home game from the car park?

Oh, now there is a thought. Maybe all the years of us poking fun at their "Stad de Trois Côtés" is going to come back to bite us, when they offer a Drive-In Playoff experience.

• @HomerLone said:

@thecatwwfc said:
    Will Oxford fans get to watch their home game from the car park?

Oh, now there is a thought. Maybe all the years of us poking fun at their "Stad de Trois Côtés" is going to come back to bite us, when they offer a Drive-In Playoff experience.

I actually wondered if any of our die hards will try and watch from the woods.

Presumably you can find an angle to see both goals at least. Though itd be fairly rubbish.

• How about a giant screen placed outside Monty's with a "drive-in" on the upper car park?

• edited June 2020

@our_frank Spot on. I remember my grandad bouncing me on his knee and telling me how we beat Corinthian Casuals at Highbury with nine men, to get to Wembley. What a story! It was enough to get me hooked... The tale I would tell is of an 18 pass move from back to front that so befuddled the Peterborough defence that they were forced to concede an own-goal just to get a touch of the ball and put themselves out of their shadow-chasing misery.

• Speaking of which, was Jockey McSporrens goal in the first few seconds of the 2nd half KO against Peterborough?

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    Speaking of which, was Jockey McSporrens goal in the first few seconds of the 2nd half KO against Peterborough?

Grobelaar was in goal wasn't he?
    Why am i thinking Lincoln. Probably wrong. Will check.

• Yes, was against Peterborough

No, Grobelaar was not in goal (you're thinking of the Lincoln game)

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    Speaking of which, was Jockey McSporrens goal in the first few seconds of the 2nd half KO against Peterborough?

Bates and McSporran. End of first half start of second half. Got the record books interested.
    And yep Peterboro.

McSporran smashing Grobelaar and Lincoln a separate and also great memory.

• Wasn't that McSporran's debut?

• @Lloyd2084 said:
    Oh please someone do an ‘Opposition View’ aggregating our jealous friends.

BluntPhil / Vital Len one for the next ‘Ringing the Blues’?

• @HomerLone said:
    How about a giant screen placed outside Monty's with a "drive-in" on the upper car park?

That would be great. Imagine when we score, the Sky cameras pan over the top of the Beechdean stand. Loads of flashing headlights and honking horns!

• For the next RTB episode, I'm thinking of a regional tour of accents bemoaning PPG...

• @floyd said:
    Wasn't that McSporran's debut?

No, that was away at Northampton

BWK

• I would just like to say now, in this hiatus before the play-offs, that I love this club, I love the current management team and I love the players. In the very many years I have supported Wycombe, this has been one of the most enjoyable seasons I have experienced. The achievements of the team have been amazing and certainly have exceeded expectations to a greater extent than in any other season I can remember.

All of that will absolutely remain the case even we get ripped apart home and away by Fleetwood.

• Rob mentioned having "arrangements" with players up to 11/12 July, so it doesn't sound like the play-offs are going to be rushed.

@Shev Also confirmation they won't be on iFollow - although not whether that's internationally or UK-only.

• I've not been in the area or coming to Adams Park for as long as @OakwoodExile but I have to agree this is one of the most enjoyable seasons I can remember...though given my advancing years that might not be the greatest tribute...and whatever the circumstances we fully deserve this chance to to be ripped apart home and away by Fleetwood. :smile:

• Firstly, a massive hats off to everyone concerned for the best league position in the club's entire history.

Secondly, given what's going on, can anyone explain why the semi-final has to be a two-legged affair?

Wouldn't it be better for a one-off at a neutral ground?