Skip to content

Should the club show solidarity today with the black lives matter? (Yes)

Comments

• Ok, thanks for explaining your post.

• @bookertease said:
    You are being a bit overly-touchy there I think @glasshalffull. And unless it’s been edited since, it did say ‘old white guys’ (which a disproportionate amount of us on here palpably are).

And if you were offended by that god help you on Facebook/Twitter...

Fair comment, I just objected to the suggestion that an old white guy (which I am) wasn’t in a position to sympathise with the plight of black people in America (which I do).

• @HolmerBlue said:
    I agree with @Wendoverman

Seconded.

• @mooneyman said:

@HolmerBlue said:
    I agree with @Wendoverman

Seconded.

That's very nice...what did I say? It's been a long week.

• The situation in America is seriously dire, almost a rogue state when you consider the US police are tear gassing and firing rubber bullets at medics thus contravening the Geneva convention, attacking media and suppressing peaceful protests in broad daylight. Scary stuff

• Just started reading 'October' by China Mieville. On the 1905 revolution in Russia.."And the revolution provokes not only bloody official crackdowns, but the traditional ultra-right sadism quasi-sanctioned by the state."

Plus ca change.

• Just as a lighthearted aside, this thread is supposed to be about PPG but it’s wandered off into politics and police brutality in America. Whilst this diversion doesn’t bother me personally, I do recall being criticised on more than one occasion for ‘derailing’ a thread. Just saying.

• Oops, ironically my mistake as I’ve posted this on the wrong thread. Guilty as charged.

• @glasshalffull said:
    Oops, ironically my mistake as I’ve posted this on the wrong thread. Guilty as charged.

Hahaha top work son.

• I have failing eyesight, decaying brain matter and wholly inadequate IT skills, so an easy mistake to make, really!

• You are certainly hitting the Gasroom demographic with all of that

• As an old white Gasroom guy covered in crisp crumbs I would like to think that this IS a pivotal moment in US history and that the shortcomings of a bullying, greedy, lying, racist, intellectually barren, low energy, unempathic would be dictator obsessed with appearances, who dispenses with anyone who defies him, threatens his own people with the military and has nothing to offer a divided nation but bizarre rants and Bible stunts finally laid bare will persuade the vast majority of right-thinking Americans of any political stripe that enough is enough...but I'm not holding my breath. I would also like to think that the current crisis has highlighted the threadbare set of skills of our own administration but...see above.

• As an old white guy drinking beer in a bar (and feeling incredibly smug) I sadly agree with @Wendoverman. This should be a time that we realise that our lives will never be made better by the insular, populist and narrow minded leaders that the West have put so much faith in recently. Then I remember that people will always listen to voices who ‘promise’ that their lives (or after lives) will be better if they buy on to their particular brand of religion/politics/Brexit and think that it is really time to move on to spirits

• @bookertease said:
    As an old white guy drinking beer in a bar (and feeling incredibly smug) I sadly agree with @Wendoverman. This should be a time that we realise that our lives will never be made better by the insular, populist and narrow minded leaders that the West have put so much faith in recently. Then I remember that people will always listen to voices who ‘promise’ that their lives (or after lives) will be better if they buy on to their particular brand of religion/politics/Brexit and think that it is really time to move on to spirits

Here here.

Education is the answer, but whether that can ever keep up with the speed of availability of information...I'm not sure!

• @Username said:

@bookertease said:
    As an old white guy drinking beer in a bar (and feeling incredibly smug) I sadly agree with @Wendoverman. This should be a time that we realise that our lives will never be made better by the insular, populist and narrow minded leaders that the West have put so much faith in recently. Then I remember that people will always listen to voices who ‘promise’ that their lives (or after lives) will be better if they buy on to their particular brand of religion/politics/Brexit and think that it is really time to move on to spirits

Here here.

Education is the answer, but whether that can ever keep up with the speed of availability of information...I'm not sure!

Someone has to, if only to break up the ultra serious chat for a lighter bit...

where? where?

• @glasshalffull said:
    I have failing eyesight, decaying brain matter and wholly inadequate IT skills, so an easy mistake to make, really!

I think you should go and watch Jess Glynn's "don't be so hard on yourself" on youtube. Cheer up, fella :)

• I've just found out the hard way it's not wise to google 'old white Gasroom guy covered in crisp crumbs' on a work computer. You have been warned.

• @LX1 said:
    I've just found out the hard way it's not wise to google 'old white Gasroom guy covered in crisp crumbs' on a work computer. You have been warned.

The question is...why would you google it @LX1 ?

• Bayo, Ofoborh, JGS and Parker all at the protests today

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Bayo, Ofoborh, JGS and Parker all at the protests today

Darius Charles and Nick Freeman too.

• Real mixed feelings about all this. I fully agree with the cause and the anger but feel the protests are wrongly timed in the current lockdown.
    I really worry about the extra infections this might cause and how much further away normal life might be.

• edited June 2020

Yeah, I'm not sure how to feel. The protests are necessary but irresponsible at the same time and I think it's reasonable to back the cause but feel uncomfortable about the act - due to the potentially serious public health consequences. As for those players, I'm sure they'll self-isolate for a couple of weeks now and hopefully they don't miss any training as a result.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Yeah, I'm not sure how to feel. The protests are necessary but irresponsible at the same time and I think it's reasonable to back the cause but feel uncomfortable about the act - due to the potentially serious public health consequences. As for those players, I'm sure they'll self-isolate for a couple of weeks now and hopefully they don't miss any training as a result.

I'm pretty sure how I feel on this. The protests are necessary but not now. Those protesting have put themselves, their families and others at risk. The discussion can be carried on in any number of ways at and the end if the day it's a duty of everyone to out racism every day.

We also need to live our lives in a way where we are respecting others and not spreading a horrible virus in to homes and to people who could die. Everyone can work to equality and stay safe.

• Just wait until the Peterborough fans put two and two together

• As far as i could see most people were wearing masks and no-one walked along a narrow beach path.or tomb stoned off a cliff so i can live with it.

• I didn't know Boris has banned tombstoning @Wendoverman?

• @mooneyman said:
    I didn't know Boris has banned tombstoning @Wendoverman?

No point @mooneyman you cannot stop natural selection...

• Conundrum for the club.
    Unequivocally black lives matter. Unequivocally the right to march / protest is democratic.
    That said by marching, professionally, key members of our squad have gone against social distancing guidelines at a point where training is or is about to recommence.
    Management have previously, correctly, stated that nothing is more important than safety and health right now.
    That decision to march could be accommodated by furlough to those players or segregated training / a ruthless cleansing regime at the training ground / gym but with considerable disruption to an already compressed pre playoff fitness programme or ignored and they train with the squad and the concomitant risks this facilitates.
    What would you do?

• Some things are bigger than football.

If the players feel they need to march, then they should be supported.

The training ground was in use by players today, not sure how many of them mind

• I would be shocked if the players didn't have the blessing of the management team - not that they'd have needed it.