Skip to content

EFL to allow crowds into games with immediate effect

Comments

• @glasshalffull said:
    What a depressing thread. Whether or not you disagree with someone else’s views, resorting to insults and bad language is surely not the way to express yourself.

Is it your first day on the internet?

• @chairboyscentral said:
    The problem is it's not just personal risk. I'm sure most people would self isolate after attending, but you can't rely on everyone to and that's when the people they come into contact with in the coming weeks are put at risk. People are right to express concern.

And, as I've said, I hope that every single person expressing concern did exactly the same in reference to images of packed beaches, British news channels gleefully broadcasting street parties and congas for VE Day and Cummings making a mockery of public health rules. Anyone not doing so is nothing more than a hypocrite and I'd question the selective nature of their faux outrage.

(For what it's worth, this isn't a pointed accusation at anyone here, but there are plenty of Tory MPs, right-wing journos and racist morons on Twitter who are doing exactly this.)

• @StrongestTeam said:

@NewburyWanderer said:

@Chris said:
    Fuck off.

That's totally unnecessary. His opinion is absolutely valid.

His opinion is his opinion and while he's entitled to it that doesn't make it any less "cunty" . Chris is also entitled to his opinion and I'd say it's just as valid despite its bluntness.

Not an opinion though, is it? It's just abuse.

• @Malone said:

@glasshalffull said:
    What a depressing thread. Whether or not you disagree with someone else’s views, resorting to insults and bad language is surely not the way to express yourself.

Is it your first day on the internet?

No, but I thought the Gasroom was more civilised than Twitter.

• Sadly, these protests attended by many thousands of people ignoring social distancing will probably result in a number of people getting infected with Covid. They will then potentially pass this on to their family and friends endangering the lives of others and NHS workers etc.

Is it really worth risking the lives of innocent people in this country at this time when the daily Covid death rate is still substantial. Will our protests have any effect on that clown in the White House, of course they won't.

• I wonder whether @Mr67 might like to discuss this personally with Adebayo Akinfenwa, Darius Charles and others.

• Why wouldn't he ?

• @Brownie said:

@chairboyscentral said:
    The problem is it's not just personal risk. I'm sure most people would self isolate after attending, but you can't rely on everyone to and that's when the people they come into contact with in the coming weeks are put at risk. People are right to express concern.

And, as I've said, I hope that every single person expressing concern did exactly the same in reference to images of packed beaches, British news channels gleefully broadcasting street parties and congas for VE Day and Cummings making a mockery of public health rules. Anyone not doing so is nothing more than a hypocrite and I'd question the selective nature of their faux outrage.

(For what it's worth, this isn't a pointed accusation at anyone here, but there are plenty of Tory MPs, right-wing journos and racist morons on Twitter who are doing exactly this.)

Why bring politics into it? It's a public safety issue, not a political one.
    And yes, I had the same opinion on people packing out beaches etc.

• I agree it's a depressing thread, but would add that the opening post was by far the most depressing one on it

• There’s a valid discussion to be made on this topic, but approaching it in such a flippant, bad faith, offensive and arrogant way it isn’t worthy of engagement.

Good luck to you if you think it’s worse to use the word fuck than to call protests a ‘day out’ and to mock the phrase ‘I can’t breathe’ when we’ve all seen the video of a man being casually and pointlessly murdered.

Of course protestors are well aware of the risks of gathering, especially given the disproportionate effects of the virus on BAME people, and yet they still feel it is more important to protest.

• edited June 2020

@NewburyWanderer said:

@Brownie said:

@chairboyscentral said:

Why bring politics into it? It's a public safety issue, not a political one.
    And yes, I had the same opinion on people packing out beaches etc.

I'd argue that protests over systemic racism are inherently political, but understand the desire to steer clear of that.

The politically related comments I've made above are statements of fact, though. It is a fact that there are Tory MPs and right wing journalists bashing the BLM protests who themselves said nothing about people on beaches and supported Cummings. In that sense, the selective nature of their outrage suggests politics is absolutely relevant.

• @Chris said:
    There’s a valid discussion to be made on this topic, but approaching it in such a flippant, bad faith, offensive and arrogant way it isn’t worthy of engagement.

Good luck to you if you think it’s worse to use the word fuck than to call protests a ‘day out’ and to mock the phrase ‘I can’t breathe’ when we’ve all seen the video of a man being casually and pointlessly murdered.

Of course protestors are well aware of the risks of gathering, especially given the disproportionate effects of the virus on BAME people, and yet they still feel it is more important to protest.

Hear, hear.

• @mooneyman said:
    Sadly, these protests attended by many thousands of people ignoring social distancing will probably result in a number of people getting infected with Covid. They will then potentially pass this on to their family and friends endangering the lives of others and NHS workers etc.

Is it really worth risking the lives of innocent people in this country at this time when the daily Covid death rate is still substantial. Will our protests have any effect on that clown in the White House, of course they won't.

Fair points but if one police force here or in the US looks at their procedures or one policeman even thinks "I wouldn't get away with doing that" or even "that clown shouldn't be saying that, I'm going to vote" it could lead to some positive change.
    I haven't gone to protest despite supporting it and aren't pushed accross that line to do so , but then I don't personally know anyone in my friends group or extended community who has been subjected to the worst abuses of the system that are being discussed whereas many have over generations.
    Maybe people shouldn't be protesting now but those people have heard that before, it would be too easy to think they are all stupid or shallow.
    If our leaders and authorities, particularly the US ones were promising to take it all a bit more seriously then the protests might not have been so large or so necessary.

• @glasshalffull said:

You do make me smile sometimes. Swearing for swearing’s sake is, I agree, not necessarily the right thing to do, but sometimes it can be used really effectively and is the ONLY appropriate response (not that I’m saying it was in this case but given how rarely @Chris does swear on here, personally I think it adds weight).

There is so much out there that is genuinely offensive (not least the actions of the police officer(s) in the George Floyd case that has triggered all this), and to find the phrase used so upsetting I find somewhat quaint.

(I think I see where your coming from in terms of it potentially devaluing the debate which we should be having on the subject, and there is a risk if it descends into personal abuse. Generally on the Gasroom I think most people recognise that people play the ball rather than the man (or woman) more often than not and we are mature enough not to appreciate the reason for it’s use).

• @glasshalfempty said:
    I wonder whether @Mr67 might like to discuss this personally with Adebayo Akinfenwa, Darius Charles and others.

If he doesn't then he's a hypocrite. I would.
    I was reading this morning about the outrage over the lack of any recommendations in the report showing the increased risk around Covid-19 for BAME people. This really struck home as I watched the protests on TV.

• @Chris said:
    There’s a valid discussion to be made on this topic, but approaching it in such a flippant, bad faith, offensive and arrogant way it isn’t worthy of engagement.

If you think there’s a valid debate to be had, why not have it with the original poster instead of just writing f..k off? If you think the original poster was arrogant and offensive, what should we make of your two word response?
    I am not taking sides with his argument, I’m simply saying that you should be better than that.

• There’s a valid discussion to be made on this topic, but approaching it in such a flippant, bad faith, offensive and arrogant way it isn’t worthy of engagement.

• I'm sure that those of us who have sat or stood near @glasshalffull at games over the years know that he hasn't always been so sensitive over bad language

• Could the organisers of the protests not do it at later date when it's a lot safer for people to attend?

With so much going on right now with covid19 the last thing we need is the poilce being tied up at the protests, excess people travelling on public transport and the obvious threat the mass gatherings have on the NHS.

• Guilty as charged but it’s very different telling someone to f..k off in print and shouting the odd abusive word in the direction of a referee who can’t hear you anyway.

• "Damn, those BLM folk better hold in their anger at black people being murdered by police officers till they're told its okay to protest!"

• Maybe the US police could refrain from murdering people until we get a vaccine?

• @Brownie said:
    "Damn, those BLM folk better hold in their anger at black people being murdered by police officers till they're told its okay to protest!"

Everyone has a personal responsibility to make it safe to protest. It's not safe at the moment. Do people really need to be told?

• @glasshalffull said:
    Guilty as charged but it’s very different telling someone to f..k off in print and shouting the odd abusive word in the direction of a referee who can’t hear you anyway.

Is it that different?

• Dipping out of this now, but this is the second related debate on this I've been involved in here and I must say I'm pretty disheartened by many of the opinions in both.

As someone has mentioned above, I would very much like to see anyone here stand in front of Bayo, Darius, Ofoborh, Parker, Freeman, Gardiner-Smith and any other Wycombe player or staff member that have attended protests and tell them that they should've held their tongue and waited.

Particularly when many of those are players who have very likely encountered racism in their playing career and personal life, I'm not sure anyone has the right to tell them they shouldn't be protesting at a time when US police are murdering black men on camera and decades of systemic racism in our own country has resulted in BAME citizens being more at risk of Covid-19.

It's fair to acknowledge the health and safety risks of protesting now, I do not believe it is fair to tell oppressed individuals and their allies whether they can or can't express their outrage and desire for change. And as @Chris has pointed out the tone of the original post lacks any empathy or understanding and its delivery is frankly offensive imo.

• @eric_plant said:
    I'm sure that those of us who have sat or stood near @glasshalffull at games over the years know that he hasn't always been so sensitive over bad language

@StrongestTeam said:
    Maybe the US police could refrain from murdering people until we get a vaccine?

Probably getting an honest, fair and incorruptible man/woman with morals occupying the White House is the only way to effectively reform the policing. Unfortunately Americans voted this idiot in (except Shev!) and will probably reelect him.

• Each of the original two posters on this thread could have phrased their posts better. That's one of the issues with electronic communication. No real harm done.

Discrimination on the grounds of race is a terrible thing. As is discrimination on grounds of age, or sex or sexual orientation or other factors.

The USA is a seriously fucked up country. While we have many problems in this country, we are streets ahead of the USA in so many ways. Thank goodness. However bad the USA is, and it is, there are far worse examples of the ills of racism - the Rohingya oppression by the Government in Mynamar, the Yahidis by ISIS and the black population in Darfur Sudan all reasonably well publicised, many more that don't even make the newspapers. Personally I don't quite see the purpose in protesting about America but not the racism prevalent in other countries.

Racism in this country still exists but is I think at far lower level than is the case in the USA. We have come less far perhaps on other ills. Racist chanting was reasonably common 25 years or so ago but is rare now. Homophobic chanting still is relatively commonplace. Statistically it is likely that at least one WWFC footballer is gay yet that individual feels unable to openly be what he is due to probably justifiable concerns over the reaction and abuse he would get from opposition supporters.

Personally while I oppose all discrimination, I would be more inclined to protest discrimination still prevalent in this country rather than that prevalent overseas. But that is up to individuals to decide. If they feel this is an issue they wish to protest about normally that would be their absolute right.

In today's world though when those protests could well cost innocent lives, I have to say I do think the timing was wrong.

• @Brownie said:
    "Damn, those BLM folk better hold in their anger at black people being murdered by police officers till they're told its okay to protest!"

When it's safe for everyone. Or is it only BLM and forget everyone else?