Skip to content

PPG Applied in France

Comments

• That would be the Tom Williams that whistled ‘I’m loving it’ when his Wycombe teammates were losing 6-0 to Stockport then. ‘Integrity’.

• This 'more than three points for a game' is a bit of a smoke screen isn't it? All based on a massive assumption that our game against Coventry levels everything up. In a 23 team league this is clearly not true.

Surprised TalkSport is still going

• @Brownie Thanks for flagging that.

For you and anybody else ... Am I wrong in my understanding of the PPG proposal? Isn't the whole point that it doesn't award Wanderers any points for their game vs Coventry, or Oxford any points for their game at Wycombe, etc.? Instead it would end in a table ranked on average points per game already played? So its justification (as least worst solution in the circumstances) is precisely that it's not doing any crystal-ball-gazing about games that will never be played - it's determined by things that actually did happen.

I have seen so many Tweets and blog posts lately fixating on particular games that I'm beginning to doubt my understanding.

• @our_frank said:
    @Brownie Thanks for flagging that.

For you and anybody else ... Am I wrong in my understanding of the PPG proposal? Isn't the whole point that it doesn't award Wanderers any points for their game vs Coventry, or Oxford any points for their game at Wycombe, etc.? Instead it would end in a table ranked on average points per game already played? So its justification (as least worst solution in the circumstances) is precisely that it's not doing any crystal-ball-gazing about games that will never be played - it's determined by things that actually did happen.

I have seen so many Tweets and blog posts lately fixating on particular games that I'm beginning to doubt my understanding.

You're absolutely correct. Adrian Durham (the account posted earlier) is a Peterborough fan and has been ludicrously biased about the entire situation. His quoted above tweet is factually incorrect.

Besides, even if it was correct, Peterborough also still have to play Coventry and the PPG averages of both teams there also adds up to above 3, but both he and the local Peterborough journalist he's in cahoots with have conveniently not mentioned that at all...

• Excellent article. Wherever we end up I'm proud we acted with some semblance of dignity and if we have to have another season on League One...I will be happy to look forward to an uncontested promotion next term.

• @Brownie said:

@our_frank said:

You're absolutely correct. Adrian Durham (the account posted earlier) is a Peterborough fan and has been ludicrously biased about the entire situation. His quoted above tweet is factually incorrect.

Besides, even if it was correct, Peterborough also still have to play Coventry and the PPG averages of both teams there also adds up to above 3, but both he and the local Peterborough journalist he's in cahoots with have conveniently not mentioned that at all...

Yeah, no need to call out or apply out the 1.73 to each game remaining but if you do then you have to also apply it to our game at Southend when they could have been already down and we would have been overwhelming favourites for 3 points. Points aren't guaranteed anywhere, As unlikely as it might be we could have beaten Cov and lost to Southend.

Bitter clubs will have to get on with it.

• @our_frank said:

This is correct, PPG is based on an average of what you’ve achieved in the past and is meant to level things up for those teams who’ve played fewer games than others. I can confirm that Adrian Durham at TalkSport is a big fan of Peterborough.

• The longer this drags on the more you worry we're going to be stitched up

• @Malone said:
    The longer this drags on the more you worry we're going to be stitched up

Can they devise a system that sees us relegated ?

• Does seem to me that while this inexorable debate about how to finish the season rolls on, little or no attention is being given to how to keep 71 FL clubs in business. That seems like a far more important issue.

How’s this? Emergency levy of 1 per cent of all transfers £5m to £15m, 3 per cent £15m to £25m, 5 per cent over £25m with funds held by FA to fund bringing any clubs in admin out of administration. And handed over to a supporters organisation?

• Every counter proposal is designed to undermine Wycombe's third place under PPG based on games completed. Incredible...and we may still get stitched up in a vote if it's down to a simple majority of League One teams.

But I'm still hopeful that the EFL Board places a value on simplicity, transparency and the benefits of been seen to act equally (as far as possible) across all three divisions. So they are unlikely to allow League One a unique 'solution' to end the season that is out of step with Championship and League Two.

Finally, any messing with promotion/relegation will not be sanctioned by the EFL Board as it would allow the Premier League a season of no relegation as well. A disaster for the EFL.

• Why are other options still being discussed ? I might be wrong but I thought EFL had said decide between playing season out or cancel and go to play offs ? I was under the impression they were the only 2 options ?

• edited June 2020

Clubs are allowed to give feedback and propose changes, but I don't know how far those changes are allowed to go - whether just tweaks or whole new ideas. Anything has to be submitted by 2pm tomorrow anyway.

• League Two worth keeping an eye on. Macclesfield have been charged with misconduct again and could get their third points deduction of the season. You'd have to say that would weaken the argument for scrapping relegation - similar situation with Bolton in L1 obviously.

• If we do get left out in the cold, I just hope we respond with more dignity than the clubs who have thrown their toys out of the pram. I say "I hope", but seeing as we are talking about RC and GA, dignity is a given.

I understand everyone acting in their own self-interest - this is a competition, after all. It is more when I start reading fans (like on the Sunderland forum) hoping we go bust, that it gets past the point of understandable bias.

The good thing about this is that no matter how much they try and manipulate the system, only one of the gang of six can go up.

• We’re really in a perfect position, with literally nothing to lose. Kudos again to GA and the Couhigs.

• @floyd said:
    We’re really in a perfect position, with literally nothing to lose. Kudos again to GA and the Couhigs.

This.

As the saying goes, form is temporary, class is permanent.

Once again, thank goodness the takeover went through and we have the chairman we now have. We'd have probably sold third spot to Blackpool for a bag of footballs otherwise.

• Definitely! The timing of the sale may have rescued us.

Any disappointment I feel, football-wise, is less based on potentially missing out on promotion, but rather the knowledge that we were primed to hit a golden period, with a unified squad, brilliant manager, and passionate owner, with so much to look forward to, including a reserve team and an American tour. These things may all still happen, but the current existential crisis facing the sport has at least delayed those prospects.

• Oh Dear someone is really upset. Bless

• Haven't listened to Talksport in years but when I did Adrian Durham was simply a shock jock taking click bait views to generate text income.
    Doesn't loom like much has changed apart from the fact he's running low on shock subjects

• Durham's a Posh fan AND a shock jock, of course he's gone off on one.

• edited June 2020

It has been reported that a Preston player has tested positive AFTER their first contact training session yesterday. I assume his team mates have to go into self isolation, or can they use a Cummings get out clause!

• The lock down.is effectively over for economic reasons with the government claiming all the proper systems for our protection are now in place. Who could have predicted that?

• @mooneyman Apparently not, according to this:

https://www.lep.co.uk/sport/football/preston-north-end/second-preston-north-end-player-tests-positive-covid-19-2872533

That seems a bit odd, though. I had thought that the attempt to resume the season in this way would fall down through exactly this scenario. But if they are going to be so relaxed about contact between footballers, perhaps not?

• I'm sure most of us won't be asking for refunds but interesting Sunderland are so blunt. Some fans on twitter have been asking and doubting how we could possibly be losing money, can you imagine how much they must be? Any idea if they're players on silly money agreed / were allowed to be furloughed at the reduced amount?