Skip to content

Players from different eras

2»

Comments

• @ChasHarps said:
    It was in Kidlinton, the same place that I believe Anton Vircavs finished his career.
    As much as I dislike everything to do with the PNL, we have been very fortunate in having some excellent players from Oxfordshire.
    John Maskell, Ian Rundle,Micky Hollifield,Anton, Dave Burgess,Kevin Durham,Jason Seacole,Simon Stapleton,Jocky
    Some fringe players in Colin Tate and Bruce Macrae,Kevin Connolly
    No doubt I've missed a few off.

Yes, Jermaine's mum Bea had a sandwich shop in Kidlington called, unsurprisingly, McSporran's.

Ikechi Anya was also from Kidlington.

Anton Vircavs still lives in the village.

I would occasionally see Simon Stapleton drinking in pubs in Oxford, sometimes with Keith Ryan, who was one of the politest people I've ever met.

• @eric_plant said:

@aloysius said:
    Didn't Jock McSporran's mum own a sandwich shop in Oxford and she'd make the squad up one each every match? He was one of my all time favourite players for Wycombe, I'd put him second only to Dave Carroll on the right wing.

Kevin Betsy?

I was going to post the same. Betsy is one of my all time favourite Wycombe players. Him and Disco Danny overlapping on the wings was a thing of Gormanian beauty. He seemed to effortlessly glide past his opponents and had a decent cross on him too.

• Fully paid up member of the Kevin Betsy fan club here. Ever since I first saw him run rings round us for Barnsley.

• edited May 2020

Kevin Betsy for me is slightly tainted by his second spell, when he was frustratingly mercurial. Other than Keith Scott, it's hard to think of a player who gave a greater return in their second spell than their first. Anthony Stewart might be another though!

• @aloysius Jamie Bates ?
    Thing is though, during Betsy's second spell, he was mainly played out of position on the left.

• A couple of things, Betsy was fantastic in his 2nd spell. His performance up at Bury is genuinely one of the greatest I've ever seen from a Wycombe player

And are you actually saying the Keith Scott's 2nd spell was better than his first? That's mental if you are.

Good shout on Anthony Stewart though, and you're forgetting perhaps the most obvious one; Matt Lawrence

• Luke O’Nien next year.

• Matt Lawrence.

• @eric_plant said:
    A couple of things, Betsy was fantastic in his 2nd spell. His performance up at Bury is genuinely one of the greatest I've ever seen from a Wycombe player

And are you actually saying the Keith Scott's 2nd spell was better than his first? That's mental if you are.

Good shout on Anthony Stewart though, and you're forgetting perhaps the most obvious one; Matt Lawrence

I assume by greater return @aloysius means £250K from Reading.

• @floyd that certainly was part of my thinking!

• John Delaney.Great captain and centre half

• Len Worley and Keith Scott.