Skip to content

PPG Applied in France

Comments

• I’m with Twizz on this. Our next game before lockdown intervened would have been against Burton; a game in hand means what it says on the tin, ie one game to play to catch up with other teams, not a specific game.
    If Coventry had made further progress in the FA Cup our game against them could have been moved to the end of the season and potentially been meaningless. Anyway, who’s to say we wouldn’t have beaten them?

• @Dickie can I send your Barry Fry story into Danny Baker's podcast please?

• Surely getting into the Championship on a dodgy ballot and the outrage that would follow from a number of 'big clubs' with 'big managers' is likely to be the best thing about this appalling lock-down...and will keep us in banter and limbs for years to come?

• @glasshalffull yeah that has been one of the more stupid suggestions in this saga. Coventry was no more our game in hand than Wimbledon, Southend or Oxford

• @LX1 said:
    @Dickie can I send your Barry Fry story into Danny Baker's podcast please?

Yes no problem at all.

• Thanks @Ned_Ludd how could I forget Dennis Oli??

• @LX1 said:
    @Dickie can I send your Barry Fry story into Danny Baker's podcast please?

Which one? He does one with Gary Lineker that's on break, and another one called the Treehouse (?) that is generally non football.

Is there another one?

• Just checked the outstanding fixtures & Peterborough & Oxford both have to play Coventry away. Obviously two outstanding sides would have both won at a poor Coventry side

• Who didn't get both Bury days in before the stoppage?

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Who didn't get both Bury days in before the stoppage?

Rochdale, Sunderland, Ipswich, AFCW, Tranmere, Donny, Bolton, Pompey, Fleetwood (final day)

• @chairboyscentral said:

@Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Who didn't get both Bury days in before the stoppage?

Rochdale, Sunderland, Ipswich, AFCW, Tranmere, Donny, Bolton, Pompey, Fleetwood (final day)

Thanks. So a few teams who we have this 'game in hand' against who will catch up in the normal run of matches.

• @LX1 said:
    @glasshalffull yeah that has been one of the more stupid suggestions in this saga. Coventry was no more our game in hand than Wimbledon, Southend or Oxford

The bit about the average points per game meaning there will be more than 3 points awarded was particularly cringeworthy I thought

He just seems really really thick, and a terrible writer as well

• The whole concept is ridiculous, although I expect if they made Coventry play 1 game with nothing riding on it for them after 2 months or so out they wouldn't put up much of a fight.

Then it would clear things up, there's not been too much fuss about Rotherham are going up, so no need to risk playing play offs if we're on the same points surely

• The longer this decision making goes on the less chance of playing out the whole season in Leagues One and Two. Teams are talking about 4 weeks of pre-season training before any games begin. League One will be going to play offs only and we will be in those.

Surely the EFL will want consistency across all three divisions and that means:

Promotion and relegation in all three divisions of the EFL
    Play out the season if economically viable (Championship only)
    Play offs only in leagues one and two as financially unviable to play out the season
    Places in playoffs and relegation decided on unweighted PPG
    Four team playoffs in each division

And Stevenage might even survive relegation if Macclesfield get a further points deduction for not paying wages.

• I agree @Forest_Blue. Hard to see any other outcome at this point.

• The thing that’s still up in the air is what happens if the play-offs can’t go ahead. I know the EFL said they would make the decision should it come to that but how long will that drag out, if other teams starting throwing their toys out of their pram again.

• One Oxford wag already said they fear it being 3rd going up if no playoffs and that Gaz would do what it takes to ensure they don't go ahead.
    Have to laugh

• edited May 2020

EFL want to hold L1 and 2 play-offs ASAP, ideally by the end of June (because of potential contract issues) from the sounds of it - but that's only going to be possible if players are back in training in the next few days. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52854470

• A couple of times earlier in the year Ainsworth talked about the pressure some teams are under to get promoted and Wycombe would benefit from that as we were under no pressure.
    Interesting to hear others supporters assume we have the same pressures as they do. They couldn't be more wrong.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    EFL want to hold L1 and 2 play-offs ASAP, ideally by the end of June (because of potential contract issues) from the sounds of it - but that's only going to be possible if players are back in training in the next few days. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52854470

Quite surprising to see that they are still planning on the finals being held at Wembley

• Maybe we vote to carry on, shut up the chimps at other clubs, then EFL decide it can't be done and we go up anyway.

No surprise about Wembley @RogertheBandito despite how silly it is all round , they'll be locked in to a long term contract.

Just fully read the Tranmere proposal after hearing their fans blame us for wanting to push through with PPG, and what do you know, their owners are all up for PPG as long as they stay up, this is preserving integrity apparently as it adds some odd measure of leeway that they happen to be on the right side of.

• I really can't stand oxford as a club in any form, delusional supporters and wanker players.... i work with a oxford fan and his delusion about them is sickening, he's one of those twats that texts you when we are losing and they're winning etc (like to add i don't ever entertain that your only as good as your next result so its gonna bite you before long)... his hero is Diving Danny btw

• This is from the Oxford forum, does make you wonder what planet they are From.

If the vote doesn't take place until 8th June the earliest training can start after testing is 15th, with a minimum of 6 weeks for training that takes us to 27th July. It's TOO LATE to get this done by the end of July. So it's one of two choices. Void and scrap the season, or end it and decide who goes up and down. You can't change the number of ups and downs. You either have what we set out to do or nothing.
    If its decided that the season will not be void, the question is how to decide who goes up and who goes down. By moving the vote to the 8th the playoffs are now in serious doubt and could be considered unfair to play. So we are back to the old weighted or unweighted PPG final table chestnut again or just leave it as it is. Maybe it's as simple as deciding the outcome of the Coventry v Wycombe game and that could go to a vote on the 8th as well.

• It'll be too late to get the season played out, but not at all for playoffs.

They could mess for another couple of weeks and still get the max of 5 playoff games in.

• Agreed...and they won’t offer 6 weeks of training before the playoffs. EFL will say playoffs, 4 weeks training and 5 games...all over by third week of July giving time for the Championship to finish end of July.

Mind you there could be ‘many a slip’ before this plays out.

• What's this? A sensible piece on the League One mess!

• I read that yesterday on twitter, thought it was the best piece written yet. Even put the link on the OUFC page. Normally so quick to get abuse back, but strangely silent so far???

• Yes, this guy is a welcome voice of reason and common sense amidst all the ranting and raving.

• The Peterborough United propaganda machine is getting a good winding up again this morning.