Skip to content

Players from different eras

I know Dave Carroll's goals are always remembered in the PNE game, but Simon Garners performance that day, was one of the finest I've ever witnessed in a Wanderers shirt. His intelligence,touch,guile was top drawer. Whenever I think of Simon's intelligent play, Noel Ashford comes into my mind. I just envisage what these two geniuses could have achieved together in tandem, had their careers coincided together at Wycombe. Ashford making the subtle passes and pulling the strings in midfield, Garner making the sly runs,terrific turns and clinical finishing.

So what players from different eras would you have liked to have seen perform together at Wycombe.

Comments

• Steve Guppy and Andy Rammell would have been something pretty special

• Stuart Beavon and Peter Garland for me.

• Bayo and Devine.

• Martin Taylor with the current back 4 in front of him

• @eric_plant said:
    Steve Guppy and Andy Rammell would have been something pretty special

I think Rambo would have enjoyed those whipped in crosses.

• How about Bayo and Bodger

• A front three of Fred, Tyson and Devine would be pretty lethal.

• Mike Williamson and Alfie Mawson

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Mike Williamson and Alfie Mawson

There's a few goals in that combo. Wasn't Williamson our top scorer (albeit the Taylor era) at the time that he left?

• Bayo and Garner would have been exceptional.

Garner was an absolute legend. So much confidence and ability. The last of the pint and fag generation of footballers.

• I remember when he came back to play in someone’s testimonial game (Cousins?) after he had retired. He still looked a class above everyone else on the pitch. One of our all time greats

• Is Simon Garner the best English player never to get an international cap?

• Jermaine McSporran and Tommy Doherty.

• McSporran couldn't ever hit a cows derriere with a shovel, let alone score a goal. Always flattered to deceive, thats why Sanchez couldn't sell him when he tried. Very quick to miss though!

• What a clueless post

• McSporran was sublime player and with over 30 goals to his name, one of our best league era scorers. His goals against Lincoln and Wolves are among the best I've ever seen. So frankly you are completely and utterly wrong.

• Moreover, far from not being able to sell him, didn't Sanchez turn down a big bid from Wolves, believing he could get more?

• He wasn't and never would be a high goal scorer, but he was exciting, and was a real threat for us. Injuries prevented him really becoming something special.

Wolves were definitely in hard for him.

• And the goal from kick off against the posh

• Tormented man city at main road playing down the wing

• McSporran was class for us

• @eric_plant said:
    What a clueless post

Not clueless at all. His goals to chances were poor. Nearly always hit it straight at the keepers chest when clean through. I never said he didn't score some good goals or that he wasn't a useful threat, as with any very quick player. Can someone tell me, why we kept an injured player for so long? Quite happy to be educated.

• Mcsporran wasnt just very quick, his pace was an absolute phenomenon. So much, linesman would often flag him offside because he had got so far ahead of a defender in such a short time as the ball was played through. Also often defenders would be dispossed as they couldnt fathom that he could physically cover the ground so quickly. His touch and finishing were a bit similar to Theo Walcotts, always seemed to be travelling to fast to truly compose himself.
    Jocky was generally excellent for us, but injuries always seemed to hamper him, and to be fair if he had the guile and finishing skills of Devine and Garner to go with his blistering speed, he would have been an international player, not a lower level league player.

• @EwanHoosaami said:

@eric_plant said:
    What a clueless post

Not clueless at all. His goals to chances were poor. Nearly always hit it straight at the keepers chest when clean through. I never said he didn't score some good goals or that he wasn't a useful threat, as with any very quick player. Can someone tell me, why we kept an injured player for so long? Quite happy to be educated.

You literally said "McSporran couldn't ever hit a cows derriere with a shovel, let alone score a goal"

• Jockey McSporran was a joy to watch. When he got the ball on a run, you could hear the buzz of the crowd. He was the kind of player you would pay to watch on his own.

ChasHarps sums it up perfectly. If he had the skill and ability as a winger of say Darren Currie, along with Jockey’s absolutely blistering pace he would’ve been a top PL player, and probably an international. I have only ever seen one player live who was faster than Jockey. Theo Walcott for Saints when he was 17, it defied belief how fast he was in the game I watched.

• @ChasHarps said:
    Mcsporran wasnt just very quick, his pace was an absolute phenomenon. So much, linesman would often flag him offside because he had got so far ahead of a defender in such a short time as the ball was played through. Also often defenders would be dispossed as they couldnt fathom that he could physically cover the ground so quickly. His touch and finishing were a bit similar to Theo Walcotts, always seemed to be travelling to fast to truly compose himself.
    Jocky was generally excellent for us, but injuries always seemed to hamper him, and to be fair if he had the guile and finishing skills of Devine and Garner to go with his blistering speed, he would have been an international player, not a lower level league player.

Similarly had Darren Currie had any sort of pace his entire career would have been spent in the top division and at international level

Always used to stagger me to hear Wycombe fans whinging about him being so slow. As if he'd be at Wycombe if he wasn't!!

• Didn't Jock McSporran's mum own a sandwich shop in Oxford and she'd make the squad up one each every match? He was one of my all time favourite players for Wycombe, I'd put him second only to Dave Carroll on the right wing.

• It was in Kidlinton, the same place that I believe Anton Vircavs finished his career.
    As much as I dislike everything to do with the PNL, we have been very fortunate in having some excellent players from Oxfordshire.
    John Maskell, Ian Rundle,Micky Hollifield,Anton, Dave Burgess,Kevin Durham,Jason Seacole,Simon Stapleton,Jocky
    Some fringe players in Colin Tate and Bruce Macrae,Kevin Connolly
    No doubt I've missed a few off.

• McSporran is one of my all time favourite Wycombe players. He was so fast and exciting to watch. He didn't need to score all his chances because we had Devine to mop up! Always got the fans excited in a similar way to the likes of Matty Philips and Sergio Torres.

• @aloysius said:
    Didn't Jock McSporran's mum own a sandwich shop in Oxford and she'd make the squad up one each every match? He was one of my all time favourite players for Wycombe, I'd put him second only to Dave Carroll on the right wing.

Kevin Betsy?