Skip to content

PPG Applied in France

Comments

• @chairboyscentral said:
    *Football clubs voting to keep themselves in business

Sadly this vote will have no bearing on whether clubs go bust or not.
    When we can play games in front of crowds will.
    When the sport realises it was always one event away from financial disaster and changes how overspent they are will.

• @mooneyman said:

@chairboyscentral said:

@HolmerBlue said:

@chairboyscentral said:

@HolmerBlue said:
    EFL should not have put it to the clubs ! They are meant to be in charge, should just say 'this is what we are doing and that's that' ... and they should've said it a couple of weeks ago

The EFL have to put it to the clubs, that's how it works.

No they havnt, they are still letting them decide, they let them suggest all sorts and have now narrowed it down to 2 choices for them.... the EFL should just decide themselves and tell them

But they'd be breaking their own rules if they did that. Anything like this - which would entail a change to the rule book - has to go to a vote.

But as Boris would say "they would be acting responsibly and with integrity, the rules in place being in practice only intended for guidance"

Breaking the rules is the new going out.

Yesterday put us further away than ever from watching live sport in a stadium.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Football clubs voting to cancel football matches.

What a strange world we live in.

Sounds funny when you say it like that.
    Doesn't sound at all odd when thought about for a few seconds.

@chairboyscentral said:

When the sport realises it was always one event away from financial disaster and changes how overspent they are will.

When that "One event" is a world crisis that has affected every industry, it's probably not the time to lecture football though.

• @Malone said:

@Right_in_the_Middle said:

@chairboyscentral said:

When that "One event" is a world crisis that has affected every industry, it's probably not the time to lecture football though.

It kind of is though.

A) Because the existing model leaves no contingency for anything bad to happen at all.
    B) Because rules are being rewritten and support being provided.
    C) Because speculating on what we could do better is all fans can really do at the moment.

Disasters, Accidents and emergencies often form policy, how much of it is kneejerk and wrong is a question, but possibly a different one.

• @Malone said:

@Right_in_the_Middle said:

@chairboyscentral said:

Not sure my short post counts as a lecture but maybe in these times of shorter concentration it is.

Now is probably the perfect time to reset the dial on football finances. Everything has stopped and it will be ages until it is back to normal. Clubs overspend in pursuit of a promotion or some success. Relegation causes more problems financially than it should.
    I do actually believe clubs are better off not playing and surely that is not right.

• I see our friend Mr.McAnthony has now said he won’t be taking the legal action he threatened should the season be curtailed. He blamed his original comments on being’tired’. From the Dominic Cummings book of plausible excuses?

• @glasshalffull said:
    I see our friend Mr.McAnthony has now said he won’t be taking the legal action he threatened should the season be curtailed. He blamed his original comments on being’tired’. From the Dominic Cummings book of plausible excuses?

Where's he said this?

• On his latest podcast according to a direct quote in the Coventry evening newspaper.

@glasshalffull said:
    I see our friend Mr.McAnthony has now said he won’t be taking the legal action he threatened should the season be curtailed. He blamed his original comments on being’tired’. From the Dominic Cummings book of plausible excuses?

Where's he said this?

I'm sure on some tweet he said he "could" bring some massive fire to the league.
    But wouldn't.

He's a horrible individual for sure.
    All the little toadies saying they agree with him under his tweets must be pretty one eyed.
    Or it's the usual style of such outrageous types where they hold a cloak of sense or respectable ideas (eg saying footballers want to play) but then has a sinister underbelly.

• @glasshalffull said:

Think maybe his legal team gave him an estimate of costs & not a very good chance he would win either.

• He's an Andy Holt wannabe and the toadies in his replies all think he actually is some kind of Andy Holt character. He's not though, he's a prick.

• I understand his frustration but not the way he’s chosen to express it. We’ve pretty much kept a dignified silence on this issue and only stated our views when the media has asked direct questions. Once again we’ve handled things the right way.

• @drcongo said:
    He's an Andy Holt wannabe and the toadies in his replies all think he actually is some kind of Andy Holt character. He's not though, he's a prick.

I think he would have walked "prick of the year", but Boris's scruffy friend has managed to trump him.

• @EwanHoosaami said:

@glasshalffull said:

Think maybe his legal team gave him an estimate of costs & not a very good chance he would win either.

I remember him proclaiming that his lawyer said he had a ‘blockbuster case’. Maybe the lawyer was tired as well.

• This is interesting, depending on how much you're willing to read into the thoughts of local press. Hard to see it being even that close.

• Why would Bristol Rovers vote in favour of playing it out?

• edited May 2020

@OxfordBlue said:
    Why would Bristol Rovers vote in favour of playing it out?

Exactly what I was thinking. Same with MK - why would they potentially drag themselves into a relegation battle? Some of the stick we're getting here is hilarious, though.

• It’s all guesswork but I’ve seen a similar poll that suggests it will be 14 clubs in favour of curtailment with 9 against. Looking at the clubs in either group I’d say that looks about right, but who knows?

• Probably best not to trust exit polls

Probably best not to trust exit polls

Indeed!

• @OxfordBlue said:
    Why would Bristol Rovers vote in favour of playing it out?

Just to be dicks?

• Voting to end the season but being part of the play offs. Mmmm

• @Malone said:

All the little toadies saying they agree with him under his tweets must be pretty one eyed.

Oi, Malone... pack it in!

• @Cyclops said:

@Malone said:

Oi, Malone... pack it in!

I grant you a medium level lol.

Voting to end the season but being part of the play offs. Mmmm

Pretty clear it's a lot cheaper and easier to have 4 teams play between 1-3 games thsn have 23 teams thrash out another 8-10 rounds each

• I feel like we are in the midst of a bad soap opera called 'EFL League One - The Vote', where there is only one main plot point, with each episode veering away from resolution, so that it can end on a cheap cliffhanger for next week.

• @glasshalffull said:

@EwanHoosaami said:

@glasshalffull said:

I remember him proclaiming that his lawyer said he had a ‘blockbuster case’. Maybe the lawyer was tired as well.

Bob Holness gave that to him in 1988 tbf

Voting to end the season but being part of the play offs. Mmmm

You vote for your preferred option but accept the result of the vote. Not that complicated is it?

• Try and get your heads around this proposal from Tranmere: