Skip to content

PPG Applied in France

Comments

• That's a superb story @Dickie! don't remember that was probably away by then being a youngster

• @glasshalffull said:
    Amazing story. Imagine that happening now in the age of social media with all the attendant outrage. There’d be talk of lifetime bans. Aaron Pierre’s ‘discussion’ with an irate fan pales into insignificance.

Added to which, there would have been plenty of fans filming it on their mobile devices. Difficult to deny then!

• Im surprised that anyone is surprised that PM Cummings behaved the way he did. Anyone really doubt that he was quite happy to let 'a few oaps' die to save the economy now? Like steve bannon he has contempt for pretty much everyone. The funny thing is watching a line of ministers having to explain it. I would have more respect for him if he just said the rules are for you oiks not the likes of me. But of course it's all fake news whipped up by a media wanting and using facts. Let Tramp Dom sort out footy i say. We'll be back in the stands before you know it. Well not all of us obviously...

• Steve Baker trying to gain the moral high ground, but we all know the reason 'Bitter Baker', wasted no time popping up with his criticism. After him publicly fronting various leave and Brexit groups, he was convinced he would be rewarded with a Cabinet Job. But Boris and his arrogant boss Cummings, now seemed to think Baker had served his purpose, and no reward was offered. So B.B.B (back bench, bitter Baker) was not going to do the job of serving his constituents, he is far more interested in promoting his self interest, so expect to him to be a constant thorn in our part time PM's side.

• @ChasHarps said:
    Steve Baker trying to gain the moral high ground, but we all know the reason 'Bitter Baker', wasted no time popping up with his criticism. After him publicly fronting various leave and Brexit groups, he was convinced he would be rewarded with a Cabinet Job. But Boris and his arrogant boss Cummings, now seemed to think Baker had served his purpose, and no reward was offered. So B.B.B (back bench, bitter Baker) was not going to do the job of serving his constituents, he is far more interested in promoting his self interest, so expect to him to be a constant thorn in our part time PM's side.

Baker was firmly in the Rees-Mogg Francois ERG extreme Brexit club. Cummings delivered the election majority that meant Bojo didn't have to listen to them anymore. He could forge on solidly with whatever it was he wanted to do, or Cummings or their backers wanted to do. Bojo, big on slogans not big on detail, only got as far as sorting out the younger wife and shorter hours bit before playing down this silly virus, contracting said virus which both affected him greatly and didn't require him to stand aside, and then allowed him to clap a little and retreat again. We'll know the football will be back shortly when he finally reappears at a press conference to gleefully announce to Robbie Savage he can go back to work as long as he's alert for advisors following the science up the motorway. They're probably minting the ceremonial coins already, maybe we'll get a D-Mac £3 note.

• Meanwhile back to the PPG,

taken from the PNL yellows forum a few minutes ago,

"Sounds like a plan but my gut feeling is there wont be another ball kicked in anger until September. Ive got a nasty feeling Wycombe are going to be celebrating the most jammy unjust promotion in history in a couple of weeks time. It’ll go down in football folklore and be talked about for years to come. At least itll stop people talking about that bloody dog and the FA cup.."

they are obviously still seething at the prospect of losing out to us,
    which is nice...

• Lol, look at this in any rational manner.

Cessation would take a number of votes with a range of interests and positions stated.

Then Average points per game.

Totalling up the actual points you have earned in actual games and dividing it by the number of actual games you played so as to get an average of points you have scored across those games.

It's hardly the work of a shady underhand regime is it.

• @RogertheBandito said:
    Meanwhile back to the PPG,

taken from the PNL yellows forum a few minutes ago,

"Sounds like a plan but my gut feeling is there wont be another ball kicked in anger until September. Ive got a nasty feeling Wycombe are going to be celebrating the most jammy unjust promotion in history in a couple of weeks time. It’ll go down in football folklore and be talked about for years to come. At least itll stop people talking about that bloody dog and the FA cup.."

they are obviously still seething at the prospect of losing out to us,
    which is nice...

It would actually be a great quiz question! "Who are the only EFL club to win automatic promotion despite ending the season two places outside the playoffs?"

• @Dickie said:
    Thank you @Ned_Ludd yes that was indeed, along with the Frank Worthington rumour, my finest hour!!

What happened was that after the game we went for a pint in the Vere Suite and as we came out the Peterborough players were getting on to their coach. There was already a gathering there giving them abuse and so I joined in as you do!

The coach then slowly pulled away so yes I had the impetuous idea to race to the entrance to the car park and head them off and walk as slowly as humanly possible down the road with the coach zig zagging behind me trying to get past. As other fans saw my one man protest, they joined in and so at our peak we were probably a 15 strong army.

Well the Peterborough players were not happy to say the least when they saw what was happening, the coach door opened and one of them asked me what I was doing, to which yes I did reply it’s too icy to walk on the pavement as I might slip over and so I was walking down the middle of the road.

At this point the player asked me if I wanted ‘some’ so I said come on then and the coach stopped and all the players piled off the coach and it all descended into a ruck for about 20 seconds. Ken Charlery had me in a headlock, they’re punching me in the ribs I’m swinging away under Ken’s armpit thinking I’m in a bit of trouble here and then suddenly I hear Barry Fry shout out for everyone to get back on the coach whereupon it all stops and they get back on the coach and away it goes.

The funniest thing was that someone, not me, who had clearly seen it all phoned 606 and said there had been a fight involving the fans and players and Barry Fry himself phoned up and flat out lied said that nothing had happened and that the caller was the one telling lies!!

Happy memories indeed!

Absolutely exceptional stuff

Perhaps the greatest post in Gasroom history

• @StrongestTeam said:
    Lol, look at this in any rational manner.

Cessation would take a number of votes with a range of interests and positions stated.

Then Average points per game.

Totalling up the actual points you have earned in actual games and dividing it by the number of actual games you played so as to get an average of points you have scored across those games.

It's hardly the work of a shady underhand regime is it.

Yeh but obviously you're over looking our bye v Bolton's fan u11 team, our inevitable drubbing v Coventry, our massive implosion to...goal difference outside the playoff zone and Oxford winning a trophy 30 years ago.

• edited May 2020

I really feel for Tranmere, they absolutely have a case. Problem is, who would take part in a relegation play-off? Ideally you'd scrap relegation, but the problems with that are obvious.

• Probably more sensible than one Oxford clown's view we should have a playoff game v Coventry to decide if we should make any playoffs!

• I have been following the 'Opposition Views' as quoted here on the Gasroom with increasing amusement.

I have just spent the last 10 minutes looking at the last couple of pages on the Oxford yellows forum and one thing does surprise me about our non rivals out along the M40. Nobody has yet expressed the view that they would rather be playing a big club like Charlton rather than little Wycombe next season.

• @railwaysteve said:
    I have been following the 'Opposition Views' as quoted here on the Gasroom with increasing amusement.

I have just spent the last 10 minutes looking at the last couple of pages on the Oxford yellows forum and one thing does surprise me about our non rivals out along the M40. Nobody has yet expressed the view that they would rather be playing a big club like Charlton rather than little Wycombe next season.

Quite a few digs about our attendances though as if they're getting Sunderland numbers in.
    Last 3 home attendances? Averaged 6,500
    "big club big club"

• Everyone bangs on about how Oxford have only three sides to their ground, yet refer to them being up the M40. Oxford have more claim to having a proper stadium than they do to being on the M40. What next? Yeovil down the M5? Colchester round the M25? Australia in the Euro vision?

• I think it is more to do with the location of the city. The ground is a separate issue and it still doesn't only have three sides and is also a rental.

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    I think it is more to do with the location of the city. The ground is a separate issue and it still doesn't only have three sides and is also a rental.

They certainly are close to us, less than 40 minutes(sub 30 miles) drive from AP. We could be looking at playing four much bigger clubs next season, who are just as close in Reading, Watford, QPR and Brentford.

• Ffs ! Wish the EFL would just grow a pair.

• I don't think the EFL have done anything wrong here. Clubs have to have this period of reflection then it seems five days to vote. I assume the main reason things have taken a little while is that the League want to make sure this "recommended framework" is watertight and that they don't leave themselves open to legal challenges.

Besides, the longer this goes on the better it is for us - not that a majority are likely to vote to continue anyway.

• EFL should not have put it to the clubs ! They are meant to be in charge, should just say 'this is what we are doing and that's that' ... and they should've said it a couple of weeks ago

• Perhaps the longer it goes on the more chance they just promote 3rd..

But surely just as much chance they stick with top two. That'd be the silliest end. Bore on for months then do that.

• edited May 2020

@HolmerBlue said:
    EFL should not have put it to the clubs ! They are meant to be in charge, should just say 'this is what we are doing and that's that' ... and they should've said it a couple of weeks ago

The EFL have to put it to the clubs, that's how it works.

• @Malone said:
    Perhaps the longer it goes on the more chance they just promote 3rd..

But surely just as much chance they stick with top two. That'd be the silliest end. Bore on for months then do that.

They could take another three weeks to make a decision and we'd still have time for the play-offs. I think they'll be determined to get them on to save the grief they'd get if they promoted a third team 'automatically'. But there's no way they'd NOT promote three teams.

• @chairboyscentral said:

@HolmerBlue said:
    EFL should not have put it to the clubs ! They are meant to be in charge, should just say 'this is what we are doing and that's that' ... and they should've said it a couple of weeks ago

No they havnt, they are still letting them decide, they let them suggest all sorts and have now narrowed it down to 2 choices for them.... the EFL should just decide themselves and tell them

• @HolmerBlue said:

@chairboyscentral said:

@HolmerBlue said:

No they havnt, they are still letting them decide, they let them suggest all sorts and have now narrowed it down to 2 choices for them.... the EFL should just decide themselves and tell them

But they'd be breaking their own rules if they did that. Anything like this - which would entail a change to the rule book - has to go to a vote.

• Imagine voting for the Tories ?...

• Football clubs voting to cancel football matches.

What a strange world we live in.

• @chairboyscentral said:

@HolmerBlue said:

@chairboyscentral said:

@HolmerBlue said:

But they'd be breaking their own rules if they did that. Anything like this - which would entail a change to the rule book - has to go to a vote.

But as Boris would say "they would be acting responsibly and with integrity, the rules in place being in practice only intended for guidance"

• *Football clubs voting to keep themselves in business