Skip to content

EFL League One Statement 21/05/2020

13»

Comments

• I listened to his views on his 45 minute podcast last night. Whilst I haven't enjoyed the social media perception of him, he did raise some important questions that the majority of supporters hadn't touched upon.
    Namely that nobody has brought forward the downside of the commercial ramifications of cancelling the season. Topics such as, refunding a proportion of TV monies, short & long term sponsorship. Is it possible that those sponsors could reverse out of sponsoring clubs as football has "broken it's contract/season" so they can now withdraw from theirs for next season. Has the EFL approached PL for subsidising testing kits? Has the EFL employed a firm of accountants for any costings? Allegedly, the EFL are sitting on 50-60 million would they not subsidise any of the costings? Andy Holt chairman of Accrington , a big fan of Twitter, very quick to criticise, but hasn't attended any Zoom/conference call with the EFL & refuses to take a call from DMAC, to allow him to put a balance to the public "trial & execution". So I can see that he has a point, that until clubs are in possession of a lot more knowledge & better forecasting of costs, it can be seen as folly to vote on cancelling the season?
    I haven't suddenly become a fan of DMAC, far from it, but he has highlighted areas that I and I suspect many others haven't perhaps considered.

• Seems to me that the real problem here is the level of debt each club has built up and therefore cost seems to have overtaken safety as the reason for a restart or not.
    Most businesses are finding the current lockdown is causing financial problems but football has been so broken for ages it is less resilient to current pressures. They live so close to the margins of solvency there is no room to manoeuvre.
    Football has to learn lessons. Hopefully they will. In the meantime safety has to lead on when games start.

• Another important point that hasn’t been mentioned to my knowledge is that I believe the government has yet to give the green light to the resumption of football at our level. Even if they have/do, we know it will be very costly to ensure that the correct precautions are in place.
    McAnthony may well have some valid points but stamping your feet, criticising other clubs and threatening legal action is not the right way to express them.

• Agree totally with your last sentence. FWIW I think he has made a great many enemies within the football world & historically memories that will remain very long with lower league football fans. I wouldn't mind betting that he has put Peterborough almost on a par with that football club that can't be mentioned in North Bucks.
    I think where I would agree with him, is has anyone furnished all the EFL chairman/owners with all the figures before such a crucial decision is made?

• Aside from the financials involved, the following is a concern: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52785438

• I'd say only 10 positive tests out 2,010 is quite reassuring

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    Aside from the financials involved, the following is a concern: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52785438

What interested me was the Watford player testing positive despite displaying no symptoms. Makes it almost impossible to know the transmission.
    In the absence of a vaccine the next best game changer has to be being able to test everyone to see if they have or have had the virus.

Still think football can wait a while longer

• Watford have got another two players in isolation now plus Deeney and 5 others refusing to train. Looks like guaranteed relegation for them if the season finishes on the pitch. Looking forward to visiting Vicarage Road next season, we might even all see Dev their!!

• Dev should be easy to spot, a half and half scarf and a flashers mac !!